Best way to get an old record collection valued?

leemond2008

Me Mom n Dad have just moved house and my old man has decided that it's time to let go of his old vinyl collection.

I've got a mate who is really interested in some of the stuff but can anyone give any ideas as to how to get them properly valued?

Off the top of my head he has Beatles, sabbath, zeppelin, queen, bowie, T-Rex, deep purple, Rory gallagher, pink Floyd Alex Harvey, Alice Cooper, ELP, all that sort of shit, absolutely loads of them.

They are all in different states of use so some are like new and others are pretty well partied on.

Any ideas?

Send them to me, I can value them ;)

Seriously though, pretty much all the bands you've namechecked are collectible. Pink Floyd definitely. Beatles, specific label variations. Zeppelin on the plum label Atlantic. Sabbath on the Vertigo swirl.

"Paranoid" on Vertigo swirl, in EX condition, is worth at least £100-150

Also check Discogs, they have a high/middle/low sale price for previous deals.

Edited by rjw63

I'm gutted that he wants to get rid of them, I always thought they would be mine when he bites the dust but at the end of the day they have sat there not being used for the last 20 years and I don't have the space for them.

Idea anyone know of any shops in Brum that we could just take the load to and get a valuation? 

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm gutted that he wants to get rid of them, I always thought they would be mine when he bites the dust but at the end of the day they have sat there not being used for the last 20 years and I don't have the space for them.

Idea anyone know of any shops in Brum that we could just take the load to and get a valuation? 

You'll get fleeced selling them as a job lot. Although I saw a collection of these artists recently go on eBay for £8k+.

What Rob said about selling the job lot, you'll lose approx half the value.

If you know someone that is interested in buying particular recordfs value them via Discogs, making sure you know you have the correct variant by checking the catalogue numbers and the other variations in the notes, cat numbers alone won't do it, as many cat numbers have a variety of variations of all manner of things

To get full value you'll have to sell records individually on sites like Discogs or Ebay, which will require some investment in mailers etc and this could take some time (which is why you'll get fleeced selling the job lot.

The current estimate of the value of my collection is approx £10-£12k, I'd be lucky to get £5-6k off a dealer and some of my 7" are worth £50-£150 each, some of my albums can fetch as much as £300-£400 each, there's plenty in the £50 range but all those prices are only of use for individual private sales.

There are some shops that will sell the collection for you and pay you out when they sell the records on your behalf. But there's a huge amount of trust involved there but you will get better value that way as the record shop owner isn't risking his capital. Selling that way might lose you only 20-25% of the value but agin it will take time and eventually you'll be left with the rubbish that may never sell unless you stick it in the bargain bin at £1 each or something

The same thing will happen with my grandad . Dementia has started to really kick in now, and he’s 84. He has a good collection. There is no way they would go whilst he’s still alive, but when he passes away they will have to go. My uncle said he wants them , but I think he just wants them for a profit. I want them too, but for the right reasons. I just want them to go to a good home without me making money out of it..

eBay have max £1 selling fees this weekend (make sure you opt in) so its a good time to sell higher value items. I'll be listing my old phone later.

As I said before, do a search with "completed listings" filtered on to get an idea of what the same item has sold for before.

8 hours ago, bickster said:

What Rob said about selling the job lot, you'll lose approx half the value.

If you know someone that is interested in buying particular recordfs value them via Discogs, making sure you know you have the correct variant by checking the catalogue numbers and the other variations in the notes, cat numbers alone won't do it, as many cat numbers have a variety of variations of all manner of things

To get full value you'll have to sell records individually on sites like Discogs or Ebay, which will require some investment in mailers etc and this could take some time (which is why you'll get fleeced selling the job lot.

The current estimate of the value of my collection is approx £10-£12k, I'd be lucky to get £5-6k off a dealer and some of my 7" are worth £50-£150 each, some of my albums can fetch as much as £300-£400 each, there's plenty in the £50 range but all those prices are only of use for individual private sales.

I had this dilemma, but I really couldn't be arsed with the hassle involved in maximising the profit. I ended up holding on to anything that (a) I still liked, but hadn't yet replaced on CD, (b) had 'sentimental' value, or (c) I definitely knew to be of high value. So I still have those (200 or so). The rest I sold as a job lot to a dealer. I was fully aware that there must have been items in there they would make a good profit on, but I could live with that. I got enough to buy myself a nice 12 string guitar, and have no regrets. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

I had this dilemma, but I really couldn't be arsed with the hassle involved in maximising the profit. I ended up holding on to anything that (a) I still liked, but hadn't yet replaced on CD, (b) had 'sentimental' value, or (c) I definitely knew to be of high value. So I still have those (200 or so). The rest I sold as a job lot to a dealer. I was fully aware that there must have been items in there they would make a good profit on, but I could live with that. I got enough to buy myself a nice 12 string guitar, and have no regrets. 

I absoluely get that, I guess what I'm saying is you either do the job in one hit and take the loss on value or do it yourself which takes a long time, some investment and many man hours. The compromiise position I guess is to sell the high value stuff individually and get a dealer to buy the rest.

It's a personal trade off with what you are prepared to do and how quickly you want recoup the money / space in the house.

• Like 1

Â