The Apprentice 2019

andykeenan

Week 5 

As the candidates relax at home with their feet up, they are shocked by a surprise visit from the boss himself. Lord Sugar reveals that their task for week five will see them heading to the historic university cities of Oxford and Cambridge to procure nine items that are associated with both places.  Half of the team will head to Oxford, while the other half travel to Cambridge. The added difficulty for the candidates is that they are given no clues as to which of the cities the various items are located in.  In Oxford, for half of one team timewasting leads to a baffling back-and-forth to get their items, for the other indecision means that they get caught in rush hour traffic. In Cambridge, poor planning sends one team round in circles, on the other team a gamble on negotiations causes a riverside ruckus.  In the boardroom there is nowhere to hide, and for one member of the losing team there is no blagging their way out of this one as they are told – “You’re Fired!”

We actually watched an episode last night. I think it was one of those vegetative nights where nobody could be bothered to turn it over or turn it off.

All I can really say is that its at the pinnacle of its game. It selects the arrogantly ignorant, sets them some dubious tasks and edits the **** out of the results.

I think the last time I watched it I wondered what sort of person would see arsehole after arsehole year after year and decide they would like a piece of that action. It’s self selecting isn’t it. If you’re the sort of person that thinks you’d be good on The Apprentice, then you’re exactly the ignorant arrogant arsehole they want to edit. 

• Like 1

The standing next to a sign saying “To the river” as they look on a map for the river and then go off in the wrong direction ... you know it was faked .. and yet a lingering doubt exists that actually they are that stupid 

Whenever I've watched this and at the end the winning team gets a 'treat' and the others have to go to a cafe to think about where they went wrong, I always think I'd rather go that cafe than experience whatever it is that the winning team has to do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Whenever I've watched this and at the end the winning team gets a 'treat' and the others have to go to a cafe to think about where they went wrong, I always think I'd rather go that cafe than experience whatever it is that the winning team has to do.

Yep,  most of the treats are bottom of the barrel corporate nonsense,  I wouldn't bother with most of them and stay in the nice house.

On the other hand the most this lot deserve is a bouncy castle.

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Not knowing when world War 2 started ffs

That’s made me far more angry than it should do 

Pretty abject wasn't it.

I know some smart people who are depressingly ignorant and probably wouldn't know the date. Not sure I'd be able to find 6 who couldn't work it out between them though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Stand in the street and ask 50 people that look 30 or under, I doubt more than 10 would be able to tell you the dates

If that's true it's utterly shameful. 

I knew all dates like that from about aged 10. 

We did a massive project on it in Primary School (More how people survived the Blitz and ration books).  Don't they teach dates anymore or what is it ?

Weird as well as people under 30 have all the answers on their mobile to every question in the world and they still don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Weird as well as people under 30 have all the answers on their mobile to every question in the world and they still don't know.

I think that is probably you're answer. There is simply no need to learn/retain any information anymore as you can find out the answer to anything in seconds. I went through some CV's & some fairly basic English & Maths tests for a friend looking to employ a couple of people recently and they were staggeringly bad, The digital CV's were bad enough but give people a pen and paper and ask them to answer a few simple questions and the lack of basic literacy & maths skills is quite scary, There were plenty who couldn't even work out how much change they would get from a sample purchase but when you realise that probably very few of them have even spent physical money anytime recently you can see why.

I guess we are all a little guilty of some of this too, 20 years ago i could have recited the phone numbers and addresses of every single person i know but now i don't even know my wifes number or email address 😕. I think that not having to remember anything does actually make you a bit more stupid.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

I think that not having to remember anything does actually make you a bit more stupid.

I get embarrassed for myself if I can't remember stuff like capitals or simple history dates.  I know one day it will let me down but it's good to keep the engine going 🙂

I think it's just practice with remembering things and also the will to keep it on board.

• Like 1

Week 6

Lord Sugar sends the candidates to a top theme park, home to some of the UK's most popular rollercoasters. On arrival, a three-dimensional hologram of Lord Sugar appears in front of the candidates and reveals that for this week's task they will be creating and marketing a new rollercoaster. They will need to design and brand their new attraction, which overnight will be turned into a 4-D ride that they will then pitch to the theme park's top talent to see whose ride they think is best. The task balances creative flair with productive pitching, and the team that forgets either could face a terrifying time in the boardroom. During the ride design, one team's overly ambitious concept ends up hurtling them into a total spin, while for the others miscommunication sends them well off track. During the pitches, both teams must cling on as they receive a bumpy ride from the panel. Then there are twists and turns in the boardroom, and for one candidate it's the end of the ride as they are told – "You're Fired!"

• Like 1

I hope this task leads to some scenes like that bit in the Mr Bean movie when he turns all the settings in the simulator up to full. People flying all over the **** place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â