Attacktics

maqroll

On 17/09/2019 at 14:56, useless said:

Get Kodjia and Hourihane in the team, they got 20 goals between them last season, half of those for Kodjia in barely twenty games, and Hourihane also gets assists.

Hourihane with a goal and an assist tonight. Good signing.

9 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Wes

Trez, Grealish, McGinn

Nakamba Hourihane(Luiz) 

I'd love to see this. 

Yep. I don't think we should start with Grealish or McGinn wide, but I'm definitely keen to see us try it in the last 30 of a game - bring a defensive midfielder on for one of the wingers, and push one of the attacking midfielders on to the wing.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Yep. I don't think we should start with Grealish or McGinn wide, but I'm definitely keen to see us try it in the last 30 of a game - bring a defensive midfielder on for one of the wingers, and push one of the attacking midfielders on to the wing.

Our wingers has failed to impress so far, except from Trez the last two games. So I imagine there is more to come from him. 

AEG shows glimpses so does Jota, but they're not there yet. AEG seems to perform better when being subbed on. I firmly believe McGinn would do a better job than either of them during the course of 90 minutes. He has the pace, ability to drive at/past players, got a good shot and a cross in him.  So we'll have a bigger threat with him on the pitch then either AEG or Jota. 

That would also free up a slot for Hourihane, whos set pieces we truly miss. Hourihane is a hard worker, with some concentration lapses. But with Nakamba next to him it would probably be fairly balanced midfield duo, with plenty of running capacity. With Jack pushed a bit further in front of them. Hourihane could also push further up in the right circumstances. 

At the same time we'll have two "wingers" who's extremely hard workers. I think there's value in having a relentless presser such as McGinn further up the pitch. And as it is now, he's spending a lot of time occupying the final third anyway. He's been one of our most forward player the last couple games. 

I don't see many negatives in sacrificing Jota/AEG to push McGinn fruther up. Especially not if that allows Hourihane to come into the side. Which would relieve Jack of some defensive responsibilities as Hourihane and Nakamba stays central, he doesn't need to cover for McGinn runs to the same degree.

1 minute ago, Skruff said:

I don't see many negatives in sacrificing Jota/AEG to push McGinn fruther up. Especially not if that allows Hourihane to come into the side. Which would relieve Jack of some defensive responsibilities as Hourihane and Nakamba stays central, he doesn't need to cover for McGinn runs to the same degree.

It would work, because good box-to-box midfielders are usually quite effective out wide. This used to be the standard position for a young box-to-box midfielder learning his trade. Milner is a similar player to McGinn in many ways, and he has always been comfortable in both roles.

I imagine Smith's logic is that he wants his best players as central as possible, so that they can influence the game. Pushing McGinn out wide is probably a waste of his talent. But I can definitely see the case for doing it as a mid-game switch, depending on the situation.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Think I'd rather see Jack wide than McGinn.

My view is mcginn Is way to high up. He is essentially playing as a right striker with wesley. When Jack has the ball on the left he has no options but to either play it forward to el ghazi or back to taylor. Mcginn needs to be deeper and come across so he can receive the ball when we are out wide. Against Everton we looked a lot more dangerous when John and Jack switched sides as wesley plays more on the left which forced mcginn deeper allowing him to come collect the ball instead of floating around when we are attacking.

For me we also definitely need to play targett instead of Taylor. You win matches by scoring more goals than your opponents and if Taylor struggles to contain players then at least we should be attacking but we don't say targett has to come in for me.

I'd also like to see a rotating front three where el ghazi trez and wesley swap positions in the match. Giving the centre half's more pace to worry about and the full backs having to contend with wesley. On top of that if we are rotating attackers it means wesley trez and El Ghazi will tire less quickly as they may not have to press or track back as much when they switch. This is important because we really need our subs in the centre not out wide. 

• 2 weeks later...

We got our attacktics right on Saturday. 

From what I’ve seen we had some lovely interplay. We pressed Norwich high up the pitch to great effect. Resulting in nearly all our goals. 

I also noticed the full backs were pressing in advanced positions, and coming in field more than usual, resulting in Targett setting up Hourihane. Something Peps Bayern team used to do with Lahm, as both our full backs can play, they add a new dimension in the final third. 

Nakamba is a huge reason why we can do this with his reading of the game  

Love this Villa team. 

We have looked excellent in an attacking capacity in the last 3 games. Scored 9 could have been many more. Targett has made a big difference, as has the tweak in system getting Jack more advanced aswell as fitting Conor in. Really enjoyable watching us again after those stale performances against Palace and WHU. 

On 17/09/2019 at 17:35, sne said:

Not ideal but worth a try IMO.

Makes us more solid centrally, more attacking from LB and lets Grealish have more ball in more dangerous positions, hopefully.

Might be a total disaster mind but I'd like us to test it.

lineup.png

Nice to see it worked :D 

Although It was El Ghazi for Trez this time.

• Like 1

Â