Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

We haven’t picked up a point from any of the sky sides have we? Except spurs… 

I still find it incredible that the top 6 is exactly how the media want the men’s to be. I mean, Liverpool were promoted last season, how is it that they have become one of the better sides in the league? I think the women’s game is broken already to be honest. We also look horrendously bad. 

• Like 1

Liverpool and Spurs aren't actually that good, it's our fault that Liverpool are so far ahead as we lost both games to them, only getting three points from the four games agains Spurs and Liverpool, actually feels worse to me than failing to get a result against any of the top four

Liverpool will probably get fifth this season, but could just as easily struggle next season as usually happens to the team that fiishes fifth

We could still finish ahead of Spurs this season, although will be incredibly difficult the state our squad is in and Spurs have an easier run in than us, but it's all we have to play for now, if we do manage a top six finish, it will be a decent enough season, can't say I'm at all confident though, in fact if we were to manage it it would arguably be a bigger achievment than finishing sixth last season given the circumstances.

Edited by useless

Not surprising that the negative posters from the men’s thread have rocked up on here and continue to be negative possibly better if they stayed away, it’s not all about winning , the women’s game has many other avenues to develop and build .

Interesting post match interview, mentioned about needing ‘help’ multiple times and how could not recruit in Jan - I feel she stopped just shy of calling club out (can’t see where else she meant help from), normally is very much it’s on her, this felt a bit different.

I said at start club hasn’t progressed and supported her - shame really, would be interesting to see if the reasoning behind that or whether there are outside factors which caused it. Can only presume it’s budget wise (wages).

She called it right about the game, second half was better, still not much of a threat and Arsenal were wasteful/dropped down a gear - maybe should have used the ‘pride/passion’ talk before game not halftime. Plenty of games left, but as other have said we need some players back or we just are to thin on the ground.

Totally get it’s not all about winning, but you only grow the women’s game if it’s made competitive, it maybe the successes of the national team have made expectations too high that some teams in WSL are still catching up and money is being spent elsewhere - but it doesn’t mean people can’t call it out if it’s as bad as our first half last night. There is a buzz about the women’s game (rightly so), and after the positives of last season maybe ‘some ‘ (me included) expected more and a chance to ride the wave.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Interesting post match interview, mentioned about needing ‘help’ multiple times and how could not recruit in Jan - I feel she stopped just shy of calling club out (can’t see where else she meant help from), normally is very much it’s on her, this felt a bit different.

I said at start club hasn’t progressed and supported her - shame really, would be interesting to see if the reasoning behind that or whether there are outside factors which caused it. Can only presume it’s budget wise (wages).

She called it right about the game, second half was better, still not much of a threat and Arsenal were wasteful/dropped down a gear - maybe should have used the ‘pride/passion’ talk before game not halftime. Plenty of games left, but as other have said we need some players back or we just are to thin on the ground.

Totally get it’s not all about winning, but you only grow the women’s game if it’s made competitive, it maybe the successes of the national team have made expectations too high that some teams in WSL are still catching up and money is being spent elsewhere - but it doesn’t mean people can’t call it out if it’s as bad as our first half last night. There is a buzz about the women’s game (rightly so), and after the positives of last season maybe ‘some ‘ (me included) expected more and a chance to ride the wave.

Haven’t seen the post match interview yet but hopefully later.  Very disappointing evening, especially that first half display.  Arsenal were clearly favourites and have the better side, but we should have been more competitive in that first half. The amount of standing off and lack of pressure on the opponent was shocking.  We seemed very frustrated and deflated quite early. Daly especially cut an isolated figure and was showing her anger at players for not pressing or losing the ball. I do worry if she’ll think about moving on in the summer? 

Clearly we’re lacking numbers due to injuries etc but I do think Carla Ward has to take some responsibility here. Surely we can set ourselves up to frustrate the opponent better? Her options are limited for sure but I would want to see much more from the players. We’ve had some better results since January but nowhere near the same level of quality from last season. 

It going to very interesting to see what the club wants to do in the summer. We probably need five or six coming in and no doubt we’ll see a similar amount leaving or not having new contracts/extended etc. I do hope the club continue to back Carla or whoever because the woman’s team is important to our growth. It’s enjoyable alongside the men’s team.  For now though, we’ll probably limp towards the end of the season with some decent results thrown in hopefully.  

Edited by ferguson1

17 minutes ago, villaajax said:

I just fear we will lose Daly and or Dali in the summer.

Daly seems quite settled just bought a house next to me and was previously renting in the village.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, villaajax said:

If they were a few years younger, definitely. Dali being 33 in the summer and Daly not far behind will hopefully work in our favour.

We turned down big bids from top WSL sides for Daly last summer, if she wanted to force a move she probably could have done, so must have been happy to stay, she's still contracted with us until 2025, her age probably works in our favor too, as as she gets older the better less likely to want to sign her, especially as I suspect we would want a very big fee by women's football standards

Dali I don't think has had a good enough season this year to generate serious interest, I could only really see her leaving if she's missing France, and again her age probably works in our favor

Of the contracted players beyond the summer Salmon is the one I've been thinking we could lose, not sure why she's hardly being used, she's a raw player, and makes some bad decisions in games, but also her pace is scary, she can run with the ball and go past players in a way few others can in women's football, I'd back as more likely to make something happen for us in the final third than some of the others that play ahead of her, she only has one goal in twelve WSL appearances, but that doesn't tell the whole story, as she's only played three games worth, surely she should at least be getting more game time off the bench

29 minutes ago, jim said:

Daly seems quite settled just bought a house next to me and was previously renting in the village.

True, and I don't like to speculate on player's personal lives but going off social media posts, I think she may be in a relationship with Mayling.

4 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

If they were a few years younger, definitely. Dali being 33 in the summer and Daly not far behind will hopefully work in our favour.

33 is still young! Take that back! 😢

• Haha 2

A lot of fans are worried about the direction of the women's team, and understandably so after what happened in January, some of it perhaps can be rationalized, but I was hoping the club would do something to allay those fears, maybe some sort of interview with someone high up on the women's side, obviously they can't give too much away, but just a little something to reassure fans that we still have reasonable ambitions, even something like announcing a contract extension for Daly or McCloughlin would send out a postive message

One thing that's giving me hope is that we still seem to be investing a lot in the academy, I think we're doing pretty much with them as we do with the boys academy, Emma Sanders said it was us and Liverpool that are going big on that sid of things,  also I think Heck said in his interview that there's going to be work done to Bodymoor Heath to benefit the women's team, hopefully this kind of stuff is an indication that the women's team still a top priority

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, villaajax said:

You'd think Daly at her age would be tempted by any club competing in the Champions League next season if an offer came in, and as she proved in the last two England games she can still poach a goal - her reading, movement and finishing are all still there.  I keep wondering if Van Domselaar will go. I know she's still in her first season at Villa, but surely a 'keeper as rated as she is has some sort of a release clause built into her contract. I just have this feeling that she feels the 'project' she was sold is quite a way off the one currently attainable. Someone please tell me this is an absurd notion. (If Earps leaves, watch United try and swoop in.) 

Edited by Recircle

3 hours ago, villaajax said:

True, and I don't like to speculate on player's personal lives but going off social media posts, I think she may be in a relationship with Mayling.

I may have seen her walking the dog 😉

• Like 1

Ward and Daly have both just signed to the same new agency, whether anything can read into that I don't know, Millie Bright has also signed up with them

Netherlands shot-stopper Van Domselaar has a release clause in her contract which is in the region of £200,000 and sources say Arsenal have identified the 24-year-old as a strong target for their summer window.

That's her gone in the summer.

• Sad 1

We need real investment. For the price of one decent male bench warmer, you could buy an entire squad of female players. I'm not saying that to belittle women's football, but that's the truth.

The fact we've lost Hampton to Chelsea's bench and no doubt Daphne to Arsenal's bench, I think shows that maybe money could help retain players here, it's not all about game time.

The issue is what has been created by the men’s game. That the top clubs there are the ones that everyone wants to play for in the womens game as well, which is rediculous. It should never have got that. So until that level of thinking changes football in both the men’s and women’s games will be forever broken. It’s not fair. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

The notion sadly wasn't absurd, then. 

3 hours ago, villaajax said:

The fact we've lost Hampton to Chelsea's bench and no doubt Daphne to Arsenal's bench [...]

It has to be said Hampton isn't sitting on Chelsea's bench so much these days. Dunno whether it's down to injuries, but she's had a run in the first team, and looked as though she had an excellent game in the League Cup semi-final against Man City last Thursday. To judge from that one, she looks undeniably to have improved since leaving Villa: more agility, more decisiveness - just more commanding. I don't think Van Domselaar will be warming Arsenal's bench much, either; I'd think she edges Zinsberger in almost every department. Who will/can Villa go for assuming she leaves in the summer? Roebuck? Maybe Leitzig or Kop?

Â