Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/january/25/statement-from-the-fa/

The below statement was released by the FA on Thursday evening:

"We can confirm that we are investigating an alleged breach of Cup Rule 8.19 by Aston Villa during their FA Women's Continental Tyres League Cup fixture against Sunderland on Wednesday 24 January."

"In accordance with competition rules, this matter has been referred to Sport Resolutions UK for consideration by an independent tribunal."

"Further updates will be confirmed in due course."

Martha MacPhail made her senior debut last night, and is probably going to have that taken away, with only league games left if we're disqualified, I'm not sure if there will be many more opportunities left for her this season, unless we have an injury crisis, such a shame. Sunderland should have known Martiz was cup tied and said something, maybe they did not in the hope we would bring on, potentially resulting in them being reward the win to their benefit, so i would just let the score stand.

Spurs have beat Southampton as expected, so as it stands Aston Villa, Man City, London City, Arsenal, and Brighton, with Spurs and Man Utd as the two best runners up, have qualified, but if Sunderland are awarded the win for last night they will replace Man Utd, if w'e're disqualified they will replace us.

Going by the FA's own rules, I'm not sure how they can do anything other than award Sunderland the win if we're found guilty, which nornally would be enough to knock us out, it just so happens that we did so well in our other games we would still qualify

Unless this 'Order that the Cup Match or Cup Matches be awarded to the opposition club' could be interpreted as awarding all our wins in the competition to the opposition, meaning we would finish bottom of our group

11 hours ago, useless said:

Martha MacPhail made her senior debut last night, and is probably going to have that taken away, with only league games left if we're disqualified, I'm not sure if there will be many more opportunities left for her this season, unless we have an injury crisis, such a shame. Sunderland should have known Martiz was cup tied and said something, maybe they did not in the hope we would bring on, potentially resulting in them being reward the win to their benefit, so i would just let the score stand.

I asked earlier what other ways can we  come up with to justify not being thrown out of the competition and you offer this, we should not be thrown out because a young player is going to have her senior debut taken away. You then go on to better this by blaming our opponents , priceless .

Edited by smg
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, useless said:

Spurs have beat Southampton as expected, so as it stands Aston Villa, Man City, London City, Arsenal, and Brighton, with Spurs and Man Utd as the two best runners up, have qualified, but if Sunderland are awarded the win for last night they will replace Man Utd, if w'e're disqualified they will replace us.

Going by the FA's own rules, I'm not sure how they can do anything other than award Sunderland the win if we're found guilty, which nornally would be enough to knock us out, it just so happens that we did so well in our other games we would still qualify

Unless this 'Order that the Cup Match or Cup Matches be awarded to the opposition club' could be interpreted as awarding all our wins in the competition to the opposition, meaning we would finish bottom of our group

Surely the awarding of games would only apply to the ones with ineligible players?

That's what I would hope, in theory it should only be Sunderland that are awarded the win, but as that would mean Man Utd missing out, I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to make sure that that doesn't happen

• Like 2

I'm sure Carla Ward and Maritz will feel a degree of responsibility, and have probably been asking themselves since how could they not have realized, and I'm sure Ward will take some responsibility when asked about it in interviews, but she or Martitz won't ultimatley be held responsible, as they were just going by what they were told by people who's job it is to find these things out, after the game the admin staff, or some of them, admitted their mistake and apologized to the players and coaching team in the dressing room

I posted the line-ups on here, I didn't see anyone questioning why Martiz was on the bench, I didn't see anyone questioning it on twitter either, until after the fact, when Martitz came on she didn't know anything was wrong, nor did any of our other players, unless it's your job to find these things out, it's probably easier to overlook something like this than is being given credit for, wasn't as if loads of people, or even anyone at all, was pointing out the error before it happened.

I don't think any individuals should be singled out, it's only a game and just a mistake, the admin people who had to apologize after the match probably feeling bad enough

36 minutes ago, useless said:

I posted the line-ups on here, I didn't see anyone questioning why Martiz was on the bench, I didn't see anyone questioning it on twitter either, until after the fact, when Martitz came on she didn't know anything was wrong, nor did any of our other players, unless it's your job to find these things out, it's probably easier to overlook something like this than is being given credit for, wasn't as if loads of people, or even anyone at all, was pointing out the error before it happened.

Its not the same is it? Random people with no more than a passing interest on an internet forum against people working full time and paid by the club. 

There has been a failure by the club, whether thats the admin team, manager or player. At least one or two of those should have known. 

• Like 1

I didn't say it was the same, just pointing out that's it's probably something that's easier to overlook than is being given credit for, as seemingly no one noticed the error until after it happened. I also pointed out that Ward will probably take some of the blame publicly, and that the admin team have taken the blame and apologized for their mistake behind closed doors, we're going to have an internal investigation to look into how the mistake was allowed to happen

If some are desperate for Ward to get sacked over this, that's not going to happen, nor is her job going to be under threat if we lose at the weekend as is more likely than not away to Man Utd. Of course if come the end of the season it's been a particularly bad season overall then her job will be at risk like any manager of a club that's had a bad season, but her job won't be under any immediate threat, the team have won eight of the last eleven, four of the last six in the league, only Chelsea, Man City, and Arsenal, have taken more points from the last six games, we're only four points worse of than we were after the same amount of games last season.

The quarter final draw is tonight at 6:30, so either they're going to have to make a decison before then, or just go ahead with the draw accompanied by the caveat that it's subject to change, but there's potential for a lot of change, as it could be us and Sunderland, Sunderland and Man Utd, or us and Man Utd, depending on what the decision is.

I can't see them going against Man Utd, even though if they were to miss out because of us being demoted to second as a consequence of Sunderland being awarded the points from our game against them, then we will have finished ahead of them as one of the best runners up fair and square, we didn't do anything wrong in the other three games, just like in the league if a club fields an ineligible player I'm pretty sure they only get punished for that one game and not kicked out of the competition, normally taking the Sunderland win away from us would be enough in of itself to make us miss out and that would serve us right, but it just so happens that we did well enough in our previous three games that we were still better than Man Utd in their four games.

I think either we will get kicked out, or they will find away around it, maybe just deduct us the points we won against Sunderland but not award them to them, meaning we would still finish top, and Man Utd would still go through, not much of a punishment to us, but I'm not even sure if Sunderland would be that bothered, can't see them kicking up a fuss over not reaching the quarters on a technicality especially when they were utterly outclassed by the team would miss to, and probably better for them if they concentrate on trying to win promotion anyway without the distraction of a cup compeition they've got no chance whatsoever of winning, we barely have of winning it never mind them.

Could do with some transfer news as a distraction from all this, normally Carla Ward would be speaking to the press today, and she would be asked about transfers with it being the last week of the window, but with what's going on she's probably not going to do normal media duties

Carla Ward: “We’ll always work until the window closes. Dan turner is back on the grass and will probably be returning sooner than expected. She might be in the squad next weekend. That’s a massive boost. We’ll keep working on the window. If we can get something done we will.”

@em_sandy

Edited by useless
Copied and pasted the text of the tweet instead, so as not to get people's hopes up that's it's news of the tribunal whilst waiting for the tweet to load as it would do if embedded

The quarter-final draw was due to be conducted live on the BBC on Friday, but has been postponed while the FA - which has referred the matter to an independent tribunal - conducts its investigation.

Doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a good outcome. I think we’ll be removed from the competition.

Edited by ferguson1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

The quarter-final draw was due to be conducted live on the BBC on Friday, but has been postponed while the FA - which has referred the matter to an independent tribunal - conducts its investigation.

Doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a good outcome. I think we’ll be removed from the competition.

That would be a harsh punishment that benefits United, so make sense that they'd do it. There's money to be made out of that name.

• Like 1

Â