Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

On 07/12/2022 at 16:42, useless said:

U21s beat small heath 4-2 away from home today.

Mary McAteer played and scored in this game but starts today in the FA Cup for Coventry United, I wasn't totally sure, but confirms that those joining other teams on a dual contract can still play for us if needed. Olivia Rabjohn also in the Coventry line-up.

Would be brilly to get a shock result today, but if not we can't drop any lower than sixth going into the Christmas break as the Everton Brighton game has been called off, so we will be in a decent and probably better than expected position whatever happens.

1 hour ago, Rigs said:

4-1 shocking 

Not shocking really. The top 4 are light years ahead of everyone else. 

5th down in the league all have negative goal differences due to being thrashed by the top 4 at some point.

• Like 4

You can definitely see the improvements, 1-4 was an extremely harsh score line imo. Some ruthless finishing, as you would expect playing against one of the top sides in the division. We are starting to bridge the gap, but it’s still a massive gap to bridge - 12 months ago the best we could’ve probably hoped for was a 0-0 backs to the wall draw, but we actually troubled their goal several times this afternoon. On another day we get something from that game imo.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Not shocking really. The top 4 are light years ahead of everyone else. 

5th down in the league all have negative goal differences due to being thrashed by the top 4 at some point.

I was on about the defending.. you can’t tell me that wasn’t shocking 🙄

• Like 1

Looks like we will be playing Fylde in our first FA Cup game, they're currently beating Solihull 4-0 at half-time.

Fylde play in the National League North, which is essentially the equivalent of a League One level in the mens game in the sense that they compete for a chance for promotion to the Championship, winner of the National League North and National League South play each other at the end of the season in a Play-Off to determine which team gets promoted, but truth be told there's probably a bigger gap between WSL and the third tier than their is between the equivalent leagues in the mens' game, so anything other than a win for us will be a big upset, our U21s have played and beat oppostion who play at the same level as Fylde, so should be a comfortable game for our first team, and perhaps a chance to play a few youngsters.

Maybe I spoke too soon, Solihull have pulled two goals back in the first five minutes of the second half.

Edit: Fylde won 5-2 we will play them in the next round of the FA Cup.

Edited by useless

• 2 weeks later...

Will be interesting to see who we sign in January, Carla Ward says we're looking to bring in a few to give the current players a lift. Could be argued we need players in defence, midfield, and attack in terms of numbers, it's not so much that we're lacking numbers upfront, but too reliant on Daly for goals.

I've seen a few people mention us possibly trying to bring Mana Iwabuchi back as not getting much game time at Arsenal, would be interesting to see her in our team compared to when she was here previously, back then I don't think our other players were on her wavelength, so didn't really get the best out of her, we've since signed the likes of Leham, Hanson, Daly, Dali, all way better than what we had when she was here and we just have better players all round.

• Like 1

Â