Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

No coincidence our midfield has looked worse this season without him 

I am not one of his biggest fans......but you are right.

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I hate this. McGinn makes by far the most forward passes in the midfield. He also plays the most long passes. He is always trying to progress the team forward. Thus his passes are the more difficult and success rate will be lower as a result.

My issue with him is his short passing can be sloppy and he gets caught in possession too much. 

so what you mean is, we are inconsistent, because all the players, have iffy marks next to them?....not many are 8/10......mainly 5/6/7 lately.

I could go through every player and pick faults....even on the basics, which is worrying.....many are simply not doing enough or working together.

From what I have seen lately, Dougie is one of the better ones and should be in.

I am not his biggest fan....but he looks ok to me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I hate this. McGinn makes by far the most forward passes in the midfield. He also plays the most long passes. He is always trying to progress the team forward. Thus his passes are the more difficult and success rate will be lower as a result.

My issue with him is his short passing can be sloppy and he gets caught in possession too much. 

His forward passes are too often not intelligent ones though. We'll build some nice possession, he'll panic as he struggles in tight areas, and he'll try that hopeful lofted one into the area. It happens far too often and it's infuriating.

I'm not going to say he doesn't play some nice forward balls into feet when he's got some time, because he does, but the amount of attacks that break down because of him is also pretty high.

• Like 2

I also think the systems we’re using with Coutinho / Buendia / Ings suit someone like Dougie - who is always looking for short passes and 1-2s - better than they suit a more direct passer like McGinn.

And more than anything, Dougie looks fresh and confident at the moment. Give him some game time. Let McGinn or Ramsey recharge their batteries a bit, they’re clearly not enjoying it at the moment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think we've massively missed a trick with Dougie the last couple of years. His only negative is his lack of physical strength but overall his technique, awareness, intelligence and his overall end product is far greater than that of the other CM's in the side. We should have been looking for another DM 2 years ago and realised that we needing far more physical strength alongside the likes of DL to compliment the midfield. Our stupidity and lack of urgency in resolving this area has become the overriding problem issue within the team.

DL was never the answer to the midfield issues, but he was never the problem either. His only crime was being the most composed and positionally aware of our midfield. If we got the killer in midfield to compliment both him and Kamara I think the problems would evaporate in an instant. As well as getting the FB's to defend first of course.   

It’s not just his physical strength. He’s not busy enough.

I love Dougie, but if he had a slightly better engine and a bit more pace / tenacity he would be a hell of a player.

Would still be one of the first names on the team sheet for me, I think his ability to recycle possession is much needed in this side, and he’s always very calm under pressure. Not really sure why he’s fallen out of favour tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I love Dougie, but if he had a slightly better engine and a bit more pace / tenacity he would be a hell of a player.

Would still be one of the first names on the team sheet for me, I think his ability to recycle possession is much needed in this side, and he’s always very calm under pressure. Not really sure why he’s fallen out of favour tbh.

Well he's just been replaced by Kamara ain't he. Gerrard needs to see ASAP that Dougie is currently our best option for the 8 role.

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Well he's just been replaced by Kamara ain't he. Gerrard needs to see ASAP that Dougie is currently our best option for the 8 role.

He has, but I think it's a bit of a myth that Dougie is a natural 8 who was just "filling in" at 6.

For me he's a deep lying midfielder who just needs a bit of muscle next to him. I'd like to see Dougie and Kamara playing together in a 4-2-3-1 or similar. That would give him the freedom to go forward occasionally, but still be there to pick up the ball from the defence.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t really see it as Dougie falling out of favour. When Kamara signed it was obvious he would be our first choice nr 6. McGinn is Gerrard’s captain, which leaves one spot in midfield — and we also know SG loves JJ.

Surely Dougie understands all this, he’s unlikely to extend that contract.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I don’t really see it as Dougie falling out of favour. When Kamara signed it was obvious he would be our first choice nr 6. McGinn is Gerrard’s captain, which leaves one spot in midfield — and we also know SG loves JJ.

Surely Dougie understands all this, he’s unlikely to extend that contract.

He's just extended it...

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He did? Silly boy!

If he wasn’t going to get the right move this summer, may as well take the (I would assume) payrise now and back himself to play his way into the team. One way or another (good or bad) Gerrard is very unlikely to be here in a couple of years anyway… there’s almost no point using your current gametime as a barometer these days.

Also very possible he’ll get more gametime now he’s signed - either way if it’s true then I think it’s great news for Villa.

Second journalist to go for it.

No chance I'd be signing if I was him. To the extent I'm almost worried he'll reign it right in if he gets a big wage :lol:

Can't get in ahead of the underperformers we have in there?! Why would you possibly sign up? For a fat salary of course.

Â