Scoring from second corner ?

hippo

you know the scene - the tension is building, VP is in full voice - we are dominating, we get a corner the opposition are wobbling, they clear said corner - but only at the expense of another corner .....

Has anyone ever known us score when we get two quick corners ? - 

Talking about corners..... a story my dear departed Dad told me:

Many, many years ago (late 50s?) we had a winger called Jimmy McEwan. He took a corner and scored. The referee said it didn’t count and Jimmy had to take it again - he did exactly the same thing again, scoring directly from the corner!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only stat I can remember about corners is that only about 3% of them lead to a goal, which certainly suggests the big cheer that crowds give when they get one is not really in any great expectation that they will be successful. 

9 hours ago, villarocker said:

Thanks for that story Mike. I knew Jimmy Mac from my days when I was a fishmonger working in Erdington back in the late 80s, my first job after leaving school. Jimmy was a customer but moreso a friend of the shop owner, who himself was Scottish and former British Amateur Boxing Champion - Johnny Kidd. 

Jimmy knew I was a Villa fan and used to share great stories of when he played for the club. I bought a book back then that was a book with a listing of every player that had played for the club up until then. I had sent it up to Bodymoor Heath to get it signed and the whole squad, as well as Graham Taylor, signed it for me. I showed it to Jimmy and he was chuffed to see the old pic of himself in the book and he also signed it for me. He was a truly great bloke! 

Funnily enough I went to school with his son Eric. Fancied himself as footballer but wasn’t a patch on his Dad. 

Â