Christchurch terror attack

Chindie

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

Everywhere is racist. My mother housed a young Argentinian woman for 2 years. Nice person, very smart. Didn't speak a lick of English but studied it, and went to architecture school and is now fluent in English and she's a architect. I remember a time when she com plained to me about the "n****rs" she encountered on her commute to school. She said it in English. I think for some people, racist comments are very casual and not meant to indicate an extreme position. Nonetheless it's pretty abhorrent to hear it. I actually think there are shades of racism, because she wouldn't deny anyone their humanity, and that's what makes a true racist in my opinion.

In my experience this country has come such a very long way in terms of racism I think people should be quite proud of it.

Althought a typical racist in the UK is seen as white British, ironically i have found the least racist people (to the extent they wouldn’t even think a racist slur) to also be white British.

• Like 2

Racism is present where education and money aren't + older generations.  That's not a slight, but attitudes are changing and have changed - as a 30 year old man, speaking to 20 year olds is quite enlightening because they see the world so differently.  

Speaking to my grandad is different gravy. 

Not saying all older people either, just a decent chunk. 

On 15/03/2019 at 13:46, Chindie said:

8chan, which is 4chan for people who thought 4chan was too moderate.

That comment deserves/d more love (kinda hard to 'like' though)

On 15/03/2019 at 08:51, Chindie said:

There are serious questions to be asked about how media and the internet has become a breeding ground for hatred. 

ISP's in Aus and NZ have apparently placed a load of sites (including those ones) on some sort of temporary ban. Whether that is while they remove the video/associated content or what I'm not sure. But as we all know that's just pissing in the wind.

No one in the media seems to be making a direct link between him and the Q 'truthers' but from the little I've read on the shooter it seems the live video bit was posted on the /pol/ bit of 8chan. i.e. right where the Q stuff is. I also assume from your reference to the memes embedded in the DNA of the site that we're talking pepe the frog are we?

As I said in the conspiracy theory thread some time back, the Q thing is rather sinister and in a way that really shouldn't be ignored. Problem for me is, if they start banning access it could possibly embolden them or in their up is down thinking add legitimacy to whatever bit of it people are feeling connected to. Making a martyr of 'the cause' almost.

It's one big powderkeg and it's been allowed to fester.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whoever did this better hope the police find them first. 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c9104256e7756536b

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

We go again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

all joking aside though Vive, not really mate, but there's some irony in there somewhere

There is. Also there’s just some people it’s best not to get on the wrong side of.    

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There is. Also there’s just some people it’s best not to get on the wrong side of.    

I accept that. I just happen to agree with Albert on this one.

Nothing is more despicable than respect built on fear. - Camus

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Who’s talking about respect?!  I look at it as doing your research before you act.

Well everyone I'd hope.

Is it not what we are talking about that people should respect, in this instance, the Mosques in Birmingham? People's freedom of Religion? People of a different ethnicity or race?

Edited by VILLAMARV
Mosques

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Well everyone I'd hope.

Is it not what we are talking about that people should respect, in this instance, the Mosques in Birmingham? People's freedom of Religion? People of a different ethnicity or race?

You just said there’s nothing more despicable than respect built on fear.

Obviously these people have no respect for other people’s religions for them to attack a mosque. But the point of my original post was I don’t think they quite realised the kind of people they are messing with by doing that. 

If they do then they are incredibly stupid as well as disrespectful.  

Â