Christchurch terror attack

Chindie

I think it is well known that the UK is an extremely tolerant place. Sure, their are racists here but in general they are a tiny minority. I'm lucky enough to have been to approx 45-50 countries with mates and you should see some of the outright and direct racism they suffered in Eastern Europe and in SE Asia 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I think it is well known that the UK is an extremely tolerant place. Sure, their are racists here but in general they are a tiny minority. I'm lucky enough to have been to approx 45-50 countries with mates and you should see some of the outright and direct racism they suffered in Eastern Europe and in SE Asia 

Yup, the two worst racist countries I've ever been to were Russia and Poland. 

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is one disgusting act. A vile and grotesque human if you can call him that. People like this should be locked up with only Muslims in jail and let him see how it feels to be helpless. 

What surprises me most is the gun laws in new Zealand. I didnt realise it wss so soft. Reading up you ca. Have a gun at 16. Bloody madness 

I think reality would be worse than being locked up with Muslims. If he goes to a NZ jail, he will share real estate with members of the Mongrel Mob, and various other bikie and criminal gangs. It wouldn't be that he killed Muslims that would ruffle their feathers, but the fact that he gunned down children. I don't think they would take kindly to that, and he is up for a really bad time.

As for your other point, that is probably why he went to New Zealand. It is a lot harder to get your hands on a gun in Australia, but not impossible. I am glad that the NZ PM is going to get tough on gun laws after this tragedy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJ said:

I think reality would be worse than being locked up with Muslims. If he goes to a NZ jail, he will share real estate with members of the Mongrel Mob, and various other bikie and criminal gangs. It wouldn't be that he killed Muslims that would ruffle their feathers, but the fact that he gunned down children. I don't think they would take kindly to that, and he is up for a really bad time.

As for your other point, that is probably why he went to New Zealand. It is a lot harder to get your hands on a gun in Australia, but not impossible. I am glad that the NZ PM is going to get tough on gun laws after this tragedy.

I didn’t know he killed children as well, that makes me so angry.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I found Latvia very very racist as well.

Yep, all part of the USSR when I went but not much has changed in Russia, the Baltic’s may have become slightly less so but Russia might even be worse

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Yep, all part of the USSR when I went but not much has changed in Russia, the Baltic’s may have become slightly less so but Russia might even be worse

Not surprising at all to be honest. I went Poland and I did find them to be similar but not as bad as Latvia. The men hated anything that wasn't Latvian in my experience 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not surprising at all to be honest. I went Poland and I did find them to be similar but not as bad as Latvia. The men hated anything that wasn't Latvian in my experience 

Poland is pretty tolerant when it comes to the generation that grew up as part of the EU tbh

it's old opinions that are the issue

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Poland is pretty tolerant when it comes to the generation that grew up as part of the EU tbh

That makes sense as alot of other countries are the same. 

I'm Latvia though it was also young people. They really didn't like anyone that wasn't Latvian 

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is exactly as I imagine it would be

I've travelled a fair bit in Eastern Europe, and in general the levels of racism there are much, much higher than in the UK.  Last time I was in the Czech Republic I went to a Sparta Prague match.  The levels of racism displayed by what were mainly a youngish crowd were abysmal.  I guess it's mainly because there's always been a very low level of immigration into those countries, so as a result they haven't developed the multi-cultural tolerance we have over several generations.

It's much the same in Bulgaria. Very racist from the older generation. Also, old people particularly women just have no idea what to do or say when they see a black person. The younger generation are pretty open unless there is a Levski v CSKA match on. 20 fans battered a Ghambian student a few months back. Luckily he survived. 

It's pretty standard that 99% of the population don't like the Roma population, however. 

3 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

It's pretty standard that 99% of the population don't like the Roma population, however. 

This is a really important point I think.

How many people in the uk for instance would describe themselves as not racist but still allude to 'pikey scum' or some such?

37 minutes ago, coda said:

Meanwhile in Turkey ... Erdogan's been showing footage of the attack at his rallies.

That's not all either

Turkey's Erdogan calls on New Zealand to restore death penalty over shooting

ANKARA (Reuters) - President Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday called on New Zealand to restore the death penalty for the gunman who killed 50 people at two Christchurch mosques, warning that Turkey would make the attacker pay for his act if New Zealand did not.

:snip:

“You heinously killed 50 of our siblings. You will pay for this. If New Zealand doesn’t make you, we know how to make you pay one way or another,” Erdogan told an election rally of thousands in northern Turkey. He did not elaborate.

He said Turkey was wrong to have abolished the death penalty 15 years ago, and added that New Zealand should make legal arrangements so that the Christchurch gunman could face capital punishment.

“If the New Zealand parliament doesn’t make this decision I will continue to argue this with them constantly. The necessary action needs to be taken,” he said.

Erdogan is seeking to drum up support for his Islamist-rooted AK Party in March 31 local elections. At weekend election rallies he showed video footage of the shootings which the gunman had broadcast on Facebook, as well as extracts from a “manifesto” posted by the attacker and later taken down.

That earned a rebuke from New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters, who said he told Turkey’s foreign minister and vice president that showing the video could endanger New Zealanders abroad.

Despite Peters’ intervention, an extract from the manifesto was flashed up on a screen at Erdogan’s rally again on Tuesday, as well as brief footage of the gunman entering one of the mosques and shooting as he approached the door.

Erdogan has said the gunman issued threats against Turkey and the president himself, and wanted to drive Turks from Turkey’s northwestern, European region.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-newzealand-shootout-erdogan/turkeys-erdogan-calls-on-new-zealand-to-restore-death-penalty-over-shooting-idUSKCN1R01O6?rpc=401&

A hero imam claims he suffered verbal abuse before being spat at after leaving a mosque event promoting unity following the New Zealand terror attacks. Mohammed Mahmoud was praised when he stopped onlookers attacking extremist Darren Osborne after he drove his van into worshippers outside Finsbury Park mosque in July 2017. But Mohammed said he suffered "sad and reckless" Islamophobic abuse in two separate incidents yesterday following an event at Regent's Park mosque. He said he was called 'despicable' and a 's***hole' by a man on a bus. Mohammed said he was later spat at by a cyclist.

He told the Evening Standard : "A middle aged white male on the bus told me I was 'despicable' and a 's***hole' and that the whole country was 'f***'.

"When I asked why - he said it was because I was wearing a dress."

And after getting off the bus, he said a cyclist spat at him.

"It was so sad to see such reckless hate and Islamophobia after the event and after all we have been through this week," Mohammed said.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hero-imam-spat-at-after-14157914

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c9104256e7756536b

Â