Christchurch terror attack

Chindie

10 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

The guy is a ignorant and total muppet. What right does he have to tell new Zealand how to z control their laws in their country? Mind your own business you muppet. 

I'm still to meet someone from the Balkan or former Yugoslavia who wasn't wildly racist, and I've worked with quite a few over the years.

Even extremely friendly and pleasant people and who have little kids and are a joy to work with have been hysterically racist.

Perhaps not that surprising considering the war and tensions still going on in their former home countries, but it's shocking still the level of hate and contempt.

• Like 1

Safe to say all nationalities have good and shit people, and unfortunately war torn people will be badly represented for obvious reasons. 

I won't lie though, slavic countries seem to have a bigger problem with racism. Recently I also found Italy to be surprisingly rascist, but I guess the refugee crisis hasn't helped. 

Stuff like this makes me really worry for my son, and what the world will be like when he's 18 (in 14 years time).

I can't imagine what I'd be like it something like this happened to him, but it would probably end up with me hunting down the people involved, Taken style. It would break me, and it makes me want to keep him hidden away from the world.

😥

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Recently I also found Italy to be surprisingly rascist, but I guess the refugee crisis hasn't helped

I also have a similar view of my visits to Italy, just without the surprise. It's nothing new. It's never new. It's racism.

The refugee crisis has certainly exacerbated things there, something my mate Salvini has whipped up to a frenzy and threatened to use Italy's veto until he got the immigration reforms through the EU.

Welcome to the age of the "Irregular Migrant Reception Centres"

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

The IRA were way more of a threat when we were kids than ISIS and the like are now.

Of all the things I worry about for my kids growing up, terrorism is pretty low on the list.

I’m not just talking terrorism, I’m talking knife crime, gang stuff etc.. too

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

The IRA were way more of a threat when we were kids than ISIS and the like are now.

Of all the things I worry about for my kids growing up, terrorism is pretty low on the list.

I'd say knife crime in the UK is 100% the worst thing over here. 

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The world has always been very shit, for a lot of people, and while very shit things happen to people who don't deserve it, it's not any more shit for our kids than it was for those who came before them, and us.

Apart from X-Factor/The Voice...

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Apart from X-Factor/The Voice...

opportunity-knocks-orig-uk-contour-1974-

As a wise man once said:

The world has always been very shit, for a lot of people, and while very shit things happen to people who don't deserve it, it's not any more shit for our kids than it was for those who came before them, and us

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Don't you dare diss Peters & Lee. ;)

They're one of only four on there I've ever even heard of. Sort-of-thanks to you, I'm now in a YouTube rabbit-hole of what a Candlewick Green is.

(with apologies to all for side tracking the sort of thread that shouldn't really be side tracked).

Edited by ml1dch

6 hours ago, sne said:

I'm still to meet someone from the Balkan or former Yugoslavia who wasn't wildly racist, and I've worked with quite a few over the years.

Even extremely friendly and pleasant people and who have little kids and are a joy to work with have been hysterically racist.

Perhaps not that surprising considering the war and tensions still going on in their former home countries, but it's shocking still the level of hate and contempt.

Everywhere is racist. My mother housed a young Argentinian woman for 2 years. Nice person, very smart. Didn't speak a lick of English but studied it, and went to architecture school and is now fluent in English and she's a architect. I remember a time when she com plained to me about the "n****rs" she encountered on her commute to school. She said it in English. I think for some people, racist comments are very casual and not meant to indicate an extreme position. Nonetheless it's pretty abhorrent to hear it. I actually think there are shades of racism, because she wouldn't deny anyone their humanity, and that's what makes a true racist in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Stuff like this makes me really worry for my son, and what the world will be like when he's 18 (in 14 years time).

I can't imagine what I'd be like it something like this happened to him, but it would probably end up with me hunting down the people involved, Taken style. It would break me, and it makes me want to keep him hidden away from the world.

😥

It's a fraught time we're living in. Your son will want to be involved. It's human nature. Prepare him to keep himself safe and to hopefully thrive. 

11 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I dunno man.  I reckon there's more kids suffering from poverty than stabbings at the moment, but I hear what you're saying.

I meant in terms of crime. But there probably is a link between both

13 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I’m not just talking terrorism, I’m talking knife crime, gang stuff etc.. too

I read somewhere that statistically theres never been a safer time to be alive. We just hear about and see atrocities a lot more now. 

Â