• Adomah
    • Abraham
    • Green (El Ghazi 59)
    • Elmohamady (Adomah 59)
    • Kodjia (Hourihane 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/02/19 at 15:00

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Consistently garbage. I'm fed of this shit. I really have lost interest in this season. Too many shit wankish people performances. 

He continues to play shit like adomah who offers nothing. Smith's out of his depth. He can't even give us a advantage over. A team he signed 75%of the players. 

I have likened Smith to Lambert but I take that back now as even though Lambert was hopeless at motivating he was always able to motivate the team against his former club.  It seems Smith can't even do that.  

I am really concerned.  i'm kinda glad Smith didn't take us over earlier as my guess is he would have dragged us into a relegation battle had he come in any earlier.

16 hours ago, vreitti said:

I do, because I'm certain DS will turn it around given time. We already got a glimpse of what it may be like in the beginning. There was never any such hope with Bruce.

What run of form and performance style would countenance you changing your mind? 

17 hours ago, romavillan said:

If Smith is so out of his depth how come a side he helped create and coach just gave us another schooling just like when he was their coach? Smith? Really?

I think people are underestimating how difficult it is to manage Villa,  at Brentford it's a whole different ball game there you have a small crowd who are happy because it's the best they've ever known but at Villa you have 30k+ unhappy Villa fans demanding more because it's the worst a lot of them have known.  If you look at Smiths managerial career it's crazy he was appointed tbh and it's confusing why so many Villa fans have been demanding him to be our manager for a long time.  In my opinion it's only because he's a Villa fan that there was demand as if he was just a manager from any part of the country the fans wouldn't have been happy with his appointment for example when Steve McClaren was in line for the job the fans weren't happy but he's had a far far more impressive managerial career than Smith.

6 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

What run of form and performance style would countenance you changing your mind? 

Honestly I dunno. Obviously I'm not happy with what I'm seeing at the moment. Then again the squad is just shit. At the start of the season, I really didn't foresee them being this bad. 

With hindsight it now feels like a huge mistake loaning out all the youngsters, since there isn't really much DS can do to change it around. 

17 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Most embarrassing post of the night so far.

Not as embarrassing as your complete denial that Smith can be at fault for things.  Are you related to Smith or something as your refusal to accept anyone questioning Smith is highly strange if you're not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Honestly I dunno. Obviously I'm not happy with what I'm seeing at the moment. Then again the squad is just shit. At the start of the season, I really didn't foresee them being this bad. 

With hindsight it now feels like a huge mistake loaning out all the youngsters, since there isn't really much DS can do to change it around. 

A fair summary, but to your original point re: being certain Smith will turn it around if given the time, I'm not sure he'll get it, especially if we continue looking this inept. Personally, I hate that we can't pass the ball at pace without Grealish.

17 hours ago, stegzy said:

It’s all about Grealish. I knew as soon as he got he got injured we would would struggle but other people said we’d be fine as we have enough decent players to deal with it. Everyone realised that when McGinn plays he links up well with Grealish, Hourihane links up well with Grealish, Abraham links up well with Grealish. Without Grealish we have no link in the middle and we have not looked like a team since he’s been out. Without Grealish we are not a team we just rely on the odd bit of luck or getting individual brilliance (as we did under Bruce). Most teams we have played since have looked like teams and we have not. Kalinic MOTM.

But isn't that what we'll be doing when Grealish returns relying on a bit of luck or his individual brilliance.  

12 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

I think people are underestimating how difficult it is to manage Villa,  at Brentford it's a whole different ball game there you have a small crowd who are happy because it's the best they've ever known but at Villa you have 30k+ unhappy Villa fans demanding more because it's the worst a lot of them have known.  If you look at Smiths managerial career it's crazy he was appointed tbh and it's confusing why so many Villa fans have been demanding him to be our manager for a long time.  In my opinion it's only because he's a Villa fan that there was demand as if he was just a manager from any part of the country the fans wouldn't have been happy with his appointment for example when Steve McClaren was in line for the job the fans weren't happy but he's had a far far more impressive managerial career than Smith.

I was calling for Smith for ages myself, it's not crazy and it's got nothing to do with him being a villan although that is a great bonus. It's got to do with watching how his Brentford side played the game and listening to him talk about the game. What we need is root and branch change, implementation of playing football the right way from youth upwards and long term build the squads at all levels required to play that way, with coaches that can implement the new style (we haven't had one for years so I'm guessing this is a big step ;) ) at the different levels working with the talent found by the footballing director working together with the scouts to get Smith and the others what they need. It's a system Smith is comfortable with and it's how he worked at Brentford.

You've seen Brentford right? They tend to make us look like a bunch of words removed who've never met before compared to them as a well coached unit who are comfortable with the technical basics required to play football.

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

A fair summary, but to your original point re: being certain Smith will turn it around if given the time, I'm not sure he'll get it, especially if we continue looking this inept. Personally, I hate that we can't pass the ball at pace without Grealish.

Agreed, and an equally big contributing factor is missing Axel.

But just look at Brentford, there is your answer to the original point. Smith signed that team. 

50 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I was calling for Smith for ages myself, it's not crazy and it's got nothing to do with him being a villan although that is a great bonus. It's got to do with watching how his Brentford side played the game and listening to him talk about the game. What we need is root and branch change, implementation of playing football the right way from youth upwards and long term build the squads at all levels required to play that way, with coaches that can implement the new style (we haven't had one for years so I'm guessing this is a big step ;) ) at the different levels working with the talent found by the footballing director working together with the scouts to get Smith and the others what they need. It's a system Smith is comfortable with and it's how he worked at Brentford.

You've seen Brentford right? They tend to make us look like a bunch of words removed who've never met before compared to them as a well coached unit who are comfortable with the technical basics required to play football.

We've certainly got a new style. 

Seems we have the management equivalent of Scott Hogan where because it worked at 1 club it'll happen again and people people will blindly believe it'll happen eventually even though it's not happening game after game.  These scout are these the ones that found Hause? because thank god he had problem with his medical so we can send him back and not get lumbered with the useless oaf. as has been mentioned in this thread it's bizarre when you look at Smiths career that some see him as the Yoda of football.  When in truth he is just a bang average championship manager.

2 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

We've certainly got a new style. 

Seems we have the management equivalent of Scott Hogan where because it worked at 1 club it'll happen again and people people will blindly believe it'll happen eventually even though it's not happening game after game.  These scout are these the ones that found Hause? because thank god he had problem with his medical so we can send him back and not get lumbered with the useless oaf. as has been mentioned in this thread it's bizarre when you look at Smiths career that some see him as the Yoda of football.  When in truth he is just a bang average championship manager.

Did you miss the first couple of months? Before Tuanzebe and Grealish got injured?

Smith also did it at Walsall with zero resources. I'm not sure the scouting appointments are complete to be honest we sacked loads and I haven't read much about appointments there. We've had two bad months after two absolutely incredible months. I'll reserve my judgement of Smith until after he's been given the time he needs to implement what he wants to do here. Not before.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nigel said:

Ridiculous comment! 

The sort of short term, knee jerk thinking we can do without!

If tonight has told us anything it's a long term plan we are going to have to get used to. So be it!

He's not the man for us long term. No use sticking with him after May (unless we markedly improve).

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Did you miss the first couple of months? Before Tuanzebe and Grealish got injured?

Smith also did it at Walsall with zero resources. I'm not sure the scouting appointments are complete to be honest we sacked loads and I haven't read much about appointments there. We've had two bad months after two absolutely incredible months. I'll reserve my judgement of Smith until after he's been given the time he needs to implement what he wants to do here. Not before.  

you mean then new manager bounce / honeymoon period,  So you mean the 2 months where we won 5 games in 9 that's good but in the next 13 we've won 1 and that was vs the worst team in this league and that win was unconvincing because Ipswich had ample opportunities to at least get a draw out of the game.

Grealish is good but in his career so for if the team is performing badly then he does as well he isn't the type of player that grabs the team and drags them over the line 

15 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

He's not the man for us long term. No use sticking with him after May (unless we markedly improve).

He may or maybe not the man for us long term, but no objective decision can be made based on 16 weeks!

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

He may or maybe not the man for us long term, but no objective decision can be made based on 16 weeks!

He has until the end of the season to turn it around, only because it makes no sense to sack him now that this season is over.

Just now, AVTuco said:

He has until the end of the season to turn it around, only because it makes no sense to sack him now that this season is over.

Then what happens with the next manager if he hits a bad run of 10 or so games?

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Then what happens with the next manager if he hits a bad run of 10 or so games?

We'll find the right man eventually. It's true we've tried many already, but I see no reason to stop here.

4 hours ago, vreitti said:

Agreed, and an equally big contributing factor is missing Axel.

But just look at Brentford, there is your answer to the original point. Smith signed that team. 

Smith signed that team 😃couldn’t be further than the truth apart from Henry and Sawyers who came from Walsall the rest came via our DoFs.

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

We'll find the right man eventually. It's true we've tried many already, but I see no reason to stop here.

So you would just keep changing after the first wobble on each manager?

I am quite glad others are more understanding.

Â