Hogwarts Legacy

Chindie

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I'm trying to work out what the point of the game is.  Looks great but gameplay looks a bit limited.

https://www.hogwartslegacy.com/en-us/faq

That covers a few bits and pieces.

Waiting for the reviews, but I have a feeling it'll be excellent. 

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

When is the review embargo lifted?

12PM GMT on 6th February, allegedly, making it the day before the early access granted via the deluxe edition.

The reviews are in. It's the best Harry Potter game ever, the open world is great, the puzzles work, the RPG elements suit it well, and...there seem to be no bugs. The only down sides seem to be there aren't really any new ideas of it's own (sure most people won't really care about that), and the broomstick flight controls are a bit awkward. Oh, and the undeniable association with She Who Shall Not Be Named.

Although this thread started in 2018, I'm sure we've been talking about rumours of a Harry Potter RPG for even longer than that, purely based on the potential it had to make a great game. Seems that potential has been realised. 

Edited by hogso

Yeah, reviews are great and there's hardly any negative comments about the game from people who have got the game early. With all issues surrounding she who shall not be named, 86% on metacritic is a huge surprise. 

Amazing review scores, beyond my expectations. Good  to see there has been little to no virtue signalling negative reviews. 

Roll on Friday.

For those of you into the lore, make sure you don't skip any of the cutscenes in the 'tutorial' section (which is brilliant btw)

There's a little touch in one scene that had me smiling at its smartness.

The IGN review is baffling:

These are the negatives it mentions

That immersion can occasionally be broken by Legacy’s dicey performance, though, which suffered from just about every issue that makes IGN’s performance review team cry during my time playing on PlayStation 5. Those greatest hits include framerate inconsistency, weird issues where the lighting switches from too dark to too bright, aggressive pop-in while moving around the map quickly, and more. There’s even this weird thing where every door in Hogwarts has a brief loading screen. It’s understandable since there’s so much packed into this beast of an adventure, but the PS5’s promises of the death of loading screens haven’t quite been lived up to here as it’s clearly struggling to keep up with the spellcraft and whimsy of the Wizarding World.

Beyond the performance issues, Legacy is also a fairly glitchy adventure in general. You’ll probably fall through the map a time or two, or see a character or object get caught in the environment, or maybe even have the person you’re talking to just up and walk away from you in the middle of a conversation, leaving you to speak with the empty spot they were standing in for about two minutes. I didn’t encounter anything game-breaking or so common that you’ll likely want to curse its name, but things like this do happen enough to be an irritation.

While the combat system never stops being entertaining, the creatures you fight soon run out of tricks up their sleeves. You’ll see the same familiar faces a lot, as you spend an enormous amount of your time fighting dark wizards, spiders, and goblins. Every once in a while they’ll trot out the same repeated troll enemy or nondescript magical suit of armor as well, but the enemies Legacy throws at you wear thin pretty quick.

That’s a shame, since the Harry Potter universe is known for having all manner of beasts and villains to face off against, and yet here there’s practically no variety. What’s especially weird is that it’s not like there aren’t other enemy types to be found in Legacy – you’ll find giant, evil frogs and zombies roaming about, to name a few – it’s just that they’re scarcely used in any of the main dungeons or levels. Instead, they send about 500 spiders at you in a row, which is a baffling decision.

Because you can only have so many spells equipped at any time, the one part of combat that’s a bit of a drag is the somewhat clunky process for switching between, which takes some serious getting used to. You learn quite a number of spells by the end of the roughly 30+ hour campaign and constantly have to reslot which ones you’ve got equipped; keeping them organized and committed to memory becomes a challenge in its own right, and not the kind I relish.

I will say though, with the wizarding buffet of endless ways to waste your time, it’s a pretty glaring omission that Quidditch is nowhere to be found. The lore reason for a lack of the iconic broom-based sport is that it’s been banned for one year thanks to some pureblood wimp who got injured last year, but that feels like an effort to paper over the absence of a major aspect of Harry Potter’s time at Hogwarts that the developers must’ve just not had time to include.

However, if you’re as much of a loot hoarder as I am and were hoping to gather up all the treasures in the world and dump them in a closet like in Skyrim you’ll be painfully disappointed by Legacy’s abysmal inventory space, which only lets you hold a couple dozen items and aggravatingly fills up in no time at all. This means you’ll miss out on tons of items early on unless you go to your menu and decide which precious treasure to throw overboard every time you open a chest. Later on you can upgrade your inventory ever so slightly, but even then it never stops being a major pain in the cockatrice to juggle your inventory all the time.

It’s certainly weighed down by technical issues, a lackluster main story, and some poor enemy variety, but even those couldn’t come close to breaking its enchanting spell over me.

All of that and... 9/10

Barely works, stupidly repetitive in terms of gameplay, clunky UI, no Quidditch.. but it's amazing. Shilling at its finest.

My view on it. Looks brilliant, beautiful but gameplay looks insanely boring and the combat, oof. Really bad.

And the obvious elephant in the room.

And one additional thing that makes me laugh, in true JKR room, there's a token trans character in it called, wait for it,

Sirona :D 

FoXFa6iWYAEX1Yf?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

gameplay looks insanely boring and the combat, oof. Really bad

Just on the above bit @StefanAVFCTake it from someone who's put a few hours into it...the gameplay is far from boring (there is soooo much stuff to do and most of it so far has been executed very well) and the combat is really solid too. In fact, once you get a couple of different spells you can get some really nice flowing combos going.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Just on the above bit @StefanAVFCTake it from someone who's put a few hours into it...the gameplay is far from boring (there is soooo much stuff to do and most of it so far has been executed very well) and the combat is really solid too. In fact, once you get a couple of different spells you can get some really nice flowing combos going.

it just looks so boring and repetitive.

In truth I'm not sure there's any way to do a proper good only magic game. The concept is just too abstract.

I think Elder Scrolls games do magic better.

Â