Our players elsewhere

DCJonah

So with FFP looking an issue and gaps to fill, i think all those players returning now should be kept as part of the squad. We have failed to sell them so i see little point trying again when our need for players is so great. 

Gollini, RDL & Gil could all play important parts in the squad. Gary Gardner is fine as 4th/5th choice DM. Mcormack, if fit, could contribute. 

I think our efforts would be better getting them back in than looking for buyers this summer. 

I've always said Gil could be at least a good player at this level, would not at all be against bringing him back in but that said, he has said before that he has no interest at playing at this level so not sure I can see a way back for him, unless his mind has changed...

McCormack is too old, expensive and limited for my mind, one of those who is a hindrance to how the team plays overall. Gollini was a car crash first time around, personally think Steer will be fine. RDL I agree should be a solid option at this level. Gardner I guess fine as 4th choice but depends on how much he earns and whether there's someone in our U23's who is at least as capable, which I think there is in Doyle-Hayes and Lyden, so would let him go.

Therefore I'd definitely want to keep Gil and RDL if possible.

RDL not convinced by at all but would happily give him another chance.

McCormack and Gardner can go. We need more pace and energy, not more of a lack of it!

Happily give Gil another chance as he's a player I like, but not convinced we will. Gollini hasn't even been playing has he? But I always thought he was a bit harshly criticised.

I'm guessing Tshibola isn't gonna make it...will be sold now?

Elphick - a couple of encouraging performances this season, Terry and Samba not here after the summer. For me he has to be part of the squad next season.

De Laet - would gladly have him back. Unfortunate with his injury, can play both sides, experienced. 

Gil - if he wants to be here, might have a place. Decent option off the bench. However I don’t think he would want to be here and if that’s the case, we’d be better trying to loan him out/sell him.

Gollini - I suspect I’m one of the few who thinks he’s alright. He had some clangers of course, but a couple of them were fairly freaky. We overlooked Johnstone’s patchy start with us and he wasn’t adjusting to a new country. Similar with Gil, he may just not want to be here. Not against giving Steer a chance.

Gardner - it’s just not going to happen is it? Move him on with our best wishes.

Tshibola - sell or loan out. Not seen anything to suggest he’s up to it.

McCormack - has to stay in order for us to have future debates on who was a bigger drain on our club, him or N’Zogbia (go on Ross, you can do it).

Edited by Shropshire Lad

19 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Elphick - a couple of encouraging performances this season, Terry and Samba not here after the summer. For me he has to be part of the squad next season.

De Laet - would gladly have him back. Unfortunate with his injury, can play both sides, experienced. 

Gil - if he wants to be here, might have a place. Decent option off the bench. However I don’t think he would want to be here and if that’s the case, we’d be better trying to loan him out/sell him.

Gollini - I suspect I’m one of the few who thinks he’s alright. He had some clangers of course, but a couple of them were fairly freaky. We overlooked Johnstone’s patchy start with us and he wasn’t adjusting to a new country. Similar with Gil, he may just not want to be here. Not against giving Steer a chance.

Gardner - it’s just not going to happen is it? Move him on with our best wishes.

Tshibola - sell or loan out. Not seen anything to suggest he’s up to it.

McCormack - has to stay in order for us to have future debates on who was a bigger drain on our club, him or N’Zogbia (go on Ross, you can do it).

Tish probably had the best second half of the season of all our loanees . He has a serious pass on him but just had the lokk a fella playing a game with his mates. Looks lazy as ****.

Carles Gil’s loan to Deportivo supposedly included an option to buy which Dr Xia has referred to as an ‘obligation to buy’ in the past. Deportivo have just been relegated from La Liga and Gil has been frozen out of the team. That would suggest that Deportivo will do everything they can to avoid making it permanent and Gil might have to get used to the fact he isn’t of the standard that he thinks he is. He might now even be of the standard that we want either if he’s completely demotivated.

Can’t see Gollini coming back either, he seems completely settled in Italy but I suppose that would depend on his desire for regular football vs bench warming in Serie A.

From those listed I suspect Gardner, Elphick and Tshibola will all return and be regular squad member next season.

Sell all of them except DeLaet if he's fit again and see if Elphick wants to be part of the squad or not. Nice few cameos this year from both of them are deserving of that imo. Nothing suggests to me Elphick should be nailed on as a starter though.

Gardner and Tshibola aren't going to get us promoted or be of use if we got to the PL.

Gil and Gollini aren't going to die for the cause lets face it.

We should keep Gil Elphick and De Laet, the rest can go. Tshibola and Gardner just aren't good enough, and McCormack had an awful attitude. Though you never know, another manager can get a different time out of him.

Recap, might be all bollox thou.

Aston Villa player to leave in cash boost for club - reports

Aston Villa’s coffers are set to be boosted with Atalanta ready to purchase forgotten goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini, reports Gazzetta dello Sport.

The 23-year-old has spent the last 18 months on loan with the Serie A side after failing to earn Steve Bruce’s trust at Villa Park.

Gollini has often played the role of understudy to Atalanta No.1 Etrit Berisha.

The former Manchester United youngster has played just seven Serie A games this season, but he’s reportedly done enough to convince the club to conclude a permanent transfer.

The fee Atalanta will have to cough up for Gollini is reportedly £3.5million.

Gollini is one of six senior Villa players out on loan this season.

Spanish playmaker Carles Gil has spent the last two campaigns at Deportivo La Coruna and that will be made permanent imminently.

Deportivo’s sporting director Carmelo del Pozo told Marca: "Carles Gil's compulsory purchase will be effective, then we will see if he wants to play in Segunda and if he is convinced of playing in Segunda."

Tommy Elphick, Gary Gardner and Aaron Tshibola are all expected to return to Villa, while Ritchie De Laet is in negotiations over a permanent move to Royal Antwerp.

Fans’ favourite Robert Snodgrass has been left heartbroken as Aston Villa’s Wembley woe all but scuppered hopes of a permanent transfer.

The popular Scot spent the season on loan at Villa Park from Premier League side West Ham.

Snodgrass, 30, recorded seven goals and 14 assists in 43 outings for Villa and current manager Steve Bruce hoped to conclude a permanent transfer this summer.

Snodgrass is expected to leave West Ham following Manuel Pellegrini’s appointment.

Villa is his preferred destination, but a move to the Second City is off the table.

Failure to achieve promotion to the Premier League, and Villa’s ongoing battle with Financial Fair Play, means a deal for Snodgrass is all but impossible.

BirminghamLive understands Villa need to raise around £40million to comply with FFP guidelines.

"Whatever happens I have loved pulling on that jersey and met some great people,” Snodgrass told supporters after Villa were resigned to another season in the Championship.

Snodgrass has also been hugely influential off the pitch this season. The Scotland international has been the joker in Villa’s pack and his humour was vital in keeping morale high in the season’s tough moments.

He built up a rapport with both the playing staff and supporters, the latter to such an extent that he got a standing ovation every time he trotted over to take a corner at Villa Park.

Snodgrass has made a friend for life in John Terry and he’s also played an understated role in Jack Grealish’s rise this term.

Speaking before the play-off final, Snodgrass said: "I came on loan to Aston Villa to be part of something special, to try and help them get back into the Premier League.

“I can’t say it was a straightforward decision, though, because I had a situation where I could only go on loan to a Championship club.

“The owners at West Ham wouldn’t let me go to a Premier League club. There were four or five Championship clubs interested and Aston Villa were 16th or 17th at the time, so it looked as if it would be tough for them to get promotion.

“But I assessed it and thought: ‘If there’s one team that could kick on, it will probably be them.’ And I knew most of the staff here which was a big factor."

Out of contract defender Alan Hutton says he’s ‘struggling to come to terms’ with Aston Villa’s play-off final defeat to Fulham.

Hutton made 33 appearances for Villa last season and excelled at left-back.

His future is now up in the air, though, and the 33-year-old full-back is free to join another club.

Manager Steve Bruce said prior to the play-off final that Hutton would be offered a new contract regardless of the outcome.

Bruce explained: “I can confirm to you now we will be talking to him next week, whichever division we are in. He deserves it.”

Hutton is desperate to stay at Villa Park and hopes the club can keep the current crop of players together as they aim for promotion at the third time of asking.

Hutton posted on Instagram: “Still struggling to come to terms with the game on Saturday, really disappointed we couldn’t get over the line for everyone involved with the club.

“A massive thank you to the fans for the amazing support, it’s been incredible all season long.

“I just (pray) we can keep this amazing group of lads together as I know we can get back to the Premier League.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-pierluigi-gollini-14721162

Â