Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

No doubt demanded by the US. It is hard to have a sensible conversation in an insane situation that is the Middle East.

The Israeli reaction to anything that is less than full-blooded carte blanche for whatever they want to do is absolutely insane and unhinged.

They clearly have a grudge against the UN because it doesn't just go along with them on whatever they want to do and says things that partially highlight the land they want has people on it that they happen to have treated like abused animals.

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

This has been a fascinating insight into how someone reasons themselves into morally bankrupt actions.

Putting up posters of kidnapped children - even British children - in public is propaganda because it makes Hamas, the terrorist Government of Gaza, look bad. 

Propaganda is a form of Information Warfare. 

Therefore, tearing down posters is fighting against Israeli Information Warfare and supporting the Palestinians.

In Britain, tearing down posters of kidnapped British children is resistance against Israel and fighting for Palestine. 

I thought it was irrational hate, but at least now I understand how those people got to that place in their heads. 

What is TRULY fascinating is those that support Israel seem to exhibit the same self centred beliefs of the country itself.  They will do everything to highlight there own suffering, but refuse to acknowledge anyone else’s no matter how many more times horrific it may be.

Ripping posters off a wall:  the only civilised response is to find it sickening.

when asked about the civilised response to cutting off water supply to 2m.people?

Silence.

There is an inherent racism in the way some posters make their posts.  Ripping posters from walls should be condemned and is uncivilised.  Cutting water supplies you ignore and champion.

I have no respect for anyone that does not value life, and people are showing themselves for what they are.

will you answer?

What the ONLY civilised response to someone cutting off water supplies to 2m people is before you start judging the moral bankruptcy of others?

Thank you. Let’s see if you ignore it for a second time.

2 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

This is getting ridiculous now. Anyone explain what McDonald's have done to P off the Free Palestiners? 

They were offering free meals for IDF personnel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The posters are propaganda it should be noted. I wonder if the artists involved would add pictures of dead Palestinian children to the campaign - they too, after all, are suffering for the actions of a terrorist group. I suspect the answer is no, because the point isn't really about the kidnapped, it's about what they represent.

Just out of interest, do you have a source for this claim about the pictures torn down being propaganda and not actual kidnapped children? 

Edited by magnkarl

Just now, chrisp65 said:

They were offering free meals for IDF personnel.

Apparently had cut off all food, water and fuel supply so McDonalds heroically stepped in.

Shame on those people asking for a boycott.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Just out of interest, do you have a source for this claim about the pictures tore down being propaganda and not actual kidnapped children? 

I don’t think he said they ‘were’ propganda.

He was referring to the perception of it being propaganda.  Can’t really produce evidence without asking the perpetrator to explain their thoughts at the time

11 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

That's nice of them. Hopefully they give the protestors free unhappy meals 

I don’t know the business model in Israel but I’d suspect its largely a franchise model like the UK.

There’s lots of performance on both sides. Some with more serious consequences than others.

I’m not sure 20 students in Bristol is massively newsworthy but then, I guess it’s symptomatic of this being a powder keg that’s been around for years. Without wishing to appear to side with the UN, its sort of proof this didn’t happen in a vacuum.

45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m puzzled by Sunak and Jenrick disagreeing with the UN words that the events of 7th October didn’t happen in a vacuum.

Are they saying the events did happen in a vacuum? A one off with no context or background or history?

This false line people are trying to draw where you either support the Israeli government, or you support Hamas is really not helping anyone.

Thousands dead, pick a team.

The "events" of 7 October were the widespread murder, rape and and butchery of civilians including children and babies. So if the UN chap had said "the beheading of babies doesn't happen in a vacuum" then all of a sudden it doesn't sound quite as reasonable.

1 minute ago, Risso said:

The "events" of 7 October were the widespread murder, rape and and butchery of civilians including children and babies. So if the UN chap had said "the beheading of babies doesn't happen in a vacuum" then all of a sudden it doesn't sound quite as reasonable.

Really? Are we back to trading modes of death in some weird macabre game of atrocity top trumps?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

Search the United Nations

Search
Toggle navigation

New York

24 October 2023

Secretary-General's remarks to the Security Council - on the Middle East [as delivered]

Mr. President, with your permission, I will make a small introduction and then ask my colleagues to brief the Security Council on the situation on the ground.

Excellencies,

The situation in the Middle East is growing more dire by the hour. 

The war in Gaza is raging and risks spiralling throughout the region. 

Divisions are splintering societies.  Tensions threaten to boil over.

At a crucial moment like this, it is vital to be clear on principles -- starting with the fundamental principle of respecting and protecting civilians.

I have condemned unequivocally the horrifying and unprecedented 7 October acts of terror by Hamas in Israel.

Nothing can justify the deliberate killing, injuring and kidnapping of civilians – or the launching of rockets against civilian targets.

All hostages must be treated humanely and released immediately and without conditions.  I respectfully note the presence among us of members of their families.

Excellencies,

It is important to also recognize the attacks by Hamas did not happen in a vacuum.

The Palestinian people have been subjected to 56 years of suffocating occupation. 

They have seen their land steadily devoured by settlements and plagued by violence; their economy stifled; their people displaced and their homes demolished.  Their hopes for a political solution to their plight have been vanishing.

But the grievances of the Palestinian people cannot justify the appalling attacks by Hamas.  And those appalling attacks cannot justify the collective punishment of the Palestinian people.

Excellencies,

Even war has rules. 

We must demand that all parties uphold and respect their obligations under international humanitarian law; take constant care in the conduct of military operations to spare civilians; and respect and protect hospitals and respect the inviolability of UN facilities which today are sheltering more than 600,000 Palestinians. 

The relentless bombardment of Gaza by Israeli forces, the level of civilian casualties, and the wholesale destruction of neighborhoods continue to mount and are deeply alarming. 

I mourn and honour the dozens of UN colleagues working for UNRWA – sadly, at least 35 and counting – killed in the bombardment of Gaza over the last two weeks.

I owe to their families my condemnation of these and many other similar killings.

The protection of civilians is paramount in any armed conflict.

Protecting civilians can never mean using them as human shields.

Protecting civilians does not mean ordering more than one million people to evacuate to the south, where there is no shelter, no food, no water, no medicine and no fuel, and then continuing to bomb the south itself.

I am deeply concerned about the clear violations of international humanitarian law that we are witnessing in Gaza.

Let me be clear:  No party to an armed conflict is above international humanitarian law.

Excellencies,

Thankfully, some humanitarian relief is finally getting into Gaza. 

But it is a drop of aid in an ocean of need.

In addition, our UN fuel supplies in Gaza will run out in a matter of days.  That would be another disaster. 

Without fuel, aid cannot be delivered, hospitals will not have power, and drinking water cannot be purified or even pumped.

The people of Gaza need continuous aid delivery at a level that corresponds to the enormous needs.  That aid must be delivered without restrictions. 

I salute our UN colleagues and humanitarian partners in Gaza working under hazardous conditions and risking their lives to provide aid to those in need.  They are an inspiration. 

To ease epic suffering, make the delivery of aid easier and safer, and facilitate the release of hostages, I reiterate my appeal for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.

Excellencies,

Even in this moment of grave and immediate danger, we cannot lose sight of the only realistic foundation for a true peace and stability:  a two-State solution.

Israelis must see their legitimate needs for security materialized, and Palestinians must see their legitimate aspirations for an independent State realized, in line with United Nations resolutions, international law and previous agreements.

Finally, we must be clear on the principle of upholding human dignity. 

Polarization and dehumanization are being fueled by a tsunami of disinformation. 

We must stand up to the forces of antisemitism, anti-Muslim bigotry and all forms of hate.

Mr. President,

Excellencies,

Today is United Nations Day, marking 78 years since the UN Charter entered into force.

That Charter reflects our shared commitment to advance peace, sustainable development and human rights.  

On this UN Day, at this critical hour, I appeal to all to pull back from the brink before the violence claims even more lives and spreads even farther.  

Thank you very much.

UN

What a word removed.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Seeing the free planestiners ripping down posters of missing British people is very sad to me 

It is. Also seeing the clips of many Palestinian kids and babies killed by air strikes is heartbreaking.  The whole thing stinks. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Just out of interest, do you have a source for this claim about the pictures torn down being propaganda and not actual kidnapped children? 

The point is the pictures of kidnapped children are a form of propaganda. There is nothing anyone in London can do to find them, putting up missing persons posters has not been done by their relatives. The purpose is not about the individuals in the poster, they are there to maintain sympathy for the Israeli cause.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Really? Are we back to trading modes of death in some weird macabre game of atrocity top trumps?

No, of course not. But there are "events" that happen in the course of conflict, then there's choosing to behead children. And that's obviously, far, far worse than just about anything, surely?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

The point is the pictures of kidnapped children are a form of propaganda. There is nothing anyone in London can do to find them, putting up missing persons posters has not been done by their relatives. The purpose is not about the individuals in the poster, they are there to maintain sympathy for the Israeli cause.

They know where they are.

Hamas have offered to release them.

The Israeli government have refused this offer.

The release of the hostages is the polar opposite of what they want.  They are desperate for the hostages to die in captivity so that they can use that as an excuse to continue the bombardment.

stick the posters up on the Israeli embassy wall where they can be seen by the people that can actually bring them home.

Â