Which sense do you value more ?

BOF

If you were confronted with losing your sight or losing your hearing.  

33 members have voted

1. 1. If you were confronted with losing your sight or losing your hearing.

• I would rather lose my sight
    • I would rather lose my hearing

The impossible dilemma, really. My love for music and human communication would say hearing was the worst one to lose, but football, books and hot totty seems more important to me. I'd rather lose my hearing I suppose, and I think doctors will find a way to cure lack of hearing before a cure for blindness anyway :)

Both would be gutting but you can still get by without hearing. You can read subtitles, use sign language etc. I.e. there are aids to bridge the gap.

Whereas with sight you simply cant replace it and also day to day life becomes that much harder.

With hearing, the biggest loss would probably be music.

Sight for me

But I recently had quite a bad ear infection and pretty much lost my hearing for a couple of weeks and it makes you realise how tough it would be without hearing.

Its like living in a little bubble (although a great excuse not to have to listen to the missues or not hear the little one crying at night)

As a music addict, I used to think that losing hearing would be the worst thing imaginable. But the sheer practical nightmare of blindness would outweigh even that. And I'd hate to lose reading (talking books would be no substitute). The music is all in my head anyway.

I know we have deaf posters on here - what do you reckon Legendary10?

Yes, it would be hearing for me as well.

The thought of never seeing my little daughter again, well, is too much to even consider.

However, the thought of not having to listen to my wife - is well, rather pleasing

2 good points there phil!!

Hearing... It would be tough in either case, but I think as a deaf person you can still be independant, being blind you would have to rely on other people quite alot of the time which would irritate me!!!

Deaf people, although greatly handicapped, can still enjoy an active life. They can still get good exercise, still watch Aston Villa play, read books/newspapers, do crosswords and puzzles to keep brain active and still do a good number of jobs. They also have subtitles for films and TV, and can learn sign language. Blind peoples options are considerably more reduced.

Â