The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

VAR did exactly what it was designed to do, make marginal calls using ambiguous information to manipulate the result. It is increasingly obvious that this is why it was implemented, to what end I don't know.

Anyhow, Howard Webb calls Emery this morning and it all gets brushed under the carpet like the numerous terrible reviewed decision every week.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Talks of corruption are giving the refs and VAR too much credit. 

It implies they’re competent but just want to change the results. 

It’s none of that. They’re just completely and utterly **** shit

Surely no one’s that shit, there has to be elements of biased in there as well. 

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Surely no one’s that shit, there has to be elements of biased in there as well. 

Aside from the usual favouring big clubs there’s no bias. They just don’t know what they’re **** doing. 

Arsenal, liverpool, city, us. We’ve all been **** over by VAR recently. That makes no sense if there’s a bias. 

They’re just completely incompetent. And they seem obsessed with not allowing goals. The benefit of the doubt is with the defending team all the time. It’s like they’re looking for ways to disallow goals. It’s insane

• Like 4

They are that incompetent 

The rules are written down on a piece of paper, we are at the whim of how PGMOL interpret them, it's safe to say they definitely don't interpret them in the same way as fans do but then they've also made it harder for themselves because seemingly every summer they get together and change what their interpretation is

That push last night, PGMOL don't think that's a foul, I disagree, next season they'll change their mind and ref the games differently and we'll no doubt have that go against us 

There's then the added problem that a different ref in a different game today will make a different decision 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

VAR seems to spend a lot of time trying to award frivolous penalties and look hard to find reasons to rule out goals

Why do they ignore their own clear and obvious rule when seeking to cancel out goals? You can't spend 5 minutes looking at an incident before bringing the ref to the monitor and spend an other 3 minutes looking at it, and it's a clear and obvious error. 

They arnt even clear with what clear and obvious is or means. If VAR needs the ref to go to the screen then it isn’t clear and obvious to me.

I still don’t know why it isn’t implemented to allow the on pitch ref to ask for help rather than be told they need help. The power is gone from the refs they don’t make decisions knowing they can rely on VAR.

Then you get complete **** ups like the handball last night, that is a clear and obvious handball. 

Edited by Nicho

1 minute ago, Nicho said:

They arnt even clear with what clear and obvious is or means. 

They are very clear what clear and obvious means... 

Get out of jail

It's a purposefully worded clause that let's them do whatever they want 

As I recently found out the PL and the MLS are the only 2 leagues with "clear and obvious" written down in the rules, says it all, it's waffle 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They are that incompetent 

The rules are written down on a piece of paper, we are at the whim of how PGMOL interpret them, it's safe to say they definitely don't interpret them in the same way as fans do but then they've also made it harder for themselves because seemingly every summer they get together and change what their interpretation is

That push last night, PGMOL don't think that's a foul, I disagree, next season they'll change their mind and ref the games differently and we'll no doubt have that go against us 

There's then the added problem that a different ref in a different game today will make a different decision 

The issue is the rules yes are written down, but they’re getting to the point where they don’t even follow those rules. Nothing to do with an iffy interpretation. Our disallowed goal - the rules say that VAR can’t check anything before the point when the attacking team have possession. We fairly won possession back and started a new phase. It’s objectively a mistake, not a subjective call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Arsenal, liverpool, city, us. We’ve all been **** over by VAR recently. That makes no sense if there’s a bias. 

United player Dalot got an unprecedented 2 yellows for dissent and sent off last week.

Theres no, or very little bias, just very poor inconsistent officiating.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

United player Dalot got an unprecedented 2 yellows for dissent and sent off last week.

Theres no, or very little bias, just very poor inconsistent officiating.

Exactly. And all those clubs will tell you there’s a bias against them. 

There isn’t. 

• Like 1

And we all know what will happen. In the media ex refs will say every decision was spot on and the ‘independent’ panel will decide that all the VAR interventions were correct and nothing will change. 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

And we all know what will happen. In the media ex refs will say every decision was spot on and the ‘independent’ panel will decide that all the VAR interventions were correct and nothing will change. 

After the Newcastle vs arsenal match review that independant panel can go in the bin, waste of time 

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I mean, Ramsey was absolutely impeding Foderingham there as he was holding the arm that he would have used to punch the ball away.

The iffy part about that is the phase of play stuff, and I won't pretend like I know how that works. But my gut tells me if there was a foul leading up to the goal, the goal shouldn't stand.

The penalty decision was the one I had an issue with. They tried to claim shoulder when he obviously pushed it back with his arm. They also didn't make the ref check it out, as if they were certain. Dude really volleyed that back with his arm. I was thinking they were going to use the shirt line thing, but they really said shoulder. That was terrible.

I was also scared during the Duran incident. When they started reviewing it I thought VAR had finally lost the plot. It was so obvious he was trying to free himself and any contact on the other player was accidental. Glad they came to the same conclusion. I was ready to bin the whole thing off right there.

So two(ish) out of three ain't bad I guess.

Ramsey was holding the keeper because the Sheffield United defender waa dragging out of him

Everyone can see these decisions, even in real time. Yet they’re getting them wrong with replays. 

the majority of people would say the push by Joelinton against was a foul. PGMOL say no. 

the majority of people would say the push on Watkins was a foul. PGMOL say no. 

The majority of people would say our goal was a new phase of play  PGMOL say no   

the majority of people would say last night was a handball. PGMOL say no 

it feels like we’re being gaslighted into accepting their interpretation of the rules, that is totally away from what most players, managers and fans agree with. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Everyone can see these decisions, even in real time. Yet they’re getting them wrong with replays. 

the majority of people would say the push by Joelinton against was a foul. PGMOL say no. 

the majority of people would say the push on Watkins was a foul. PGMOL say no. 

The majority of people would say our goal was a new phase of play  PGMOL say no   

the majority of people would say last night was a handball. PGMOL say no 

it feels like we’re being gaslighted into accepting their interpretation of the rules, that is totally away from what most players, managers and fans agree with. 

Neville and Carragher said no too, but we know that's bias.

My Liverpool fan pal said there was no VAR against Wet Spam in the week, some close calls, but it was great to see a game without debating miniscule issues.

In the end these are still the refs in the VAR room that were making the mistakes prior to VAR. The ref against Brentford was facing the Ben Mee red card foul and called it a yellow. This is a example, if he was in VAR, it would have still been a yellow. Independent team in the VAR room is what we need. If you can't call a red card when you are directly looking at the incident on pitch, you aint gonna call in on VAR. Also 99% of referees think just because they see it on a video screen, they must be right, I.e everytime they go to the screen they change there mind, something Webb needs to look at.

• Like 1

Â