The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

These are such garbage. If you have to rule a line to see it, it's not a clear and obvious error and it shouldn't be offside.

Every single VAR check including offsides should be made by the match referee on a screen where he gets the 2 best angles played once each at normal speed. If he can see that he made the wrong decision, excellent, if he can't, the decision on the pitch stands.

This is the big one for me. No one else should be in a ref's ear outside of saying 'check screen' and even then, the match referee needs to just be in the habit of doing that instead of waiting to be told. 

• Like 1

Hopefully a small step in a positive direction.

Still rather not have it thou.

Premier League Finally Making Change To VAR That Fans Have Been Calling For

According to The Times, a plan is in place to publicly release conversations held between referees and VAR officials during a game. 

The main aim is to help fans get an understanding of the process of how VAR make decisions and will hopefully help improve transparency to fans. 

He said: “There is a general view that [releasing the audio] is a good thing. There is a desire to be more open with fans about referees’ decision-making and how we do that precisely we need to work out.” 

The concept has already been trialed by the MLS in the United States. A review of the on field discussions over decisions is released in audio format on YouTube. 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/premier-league-var-change-news-20220802

5 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I'd rather we could listen live, rather than listen to the edited versions we will no doubt get

Bingo.

"After the match".  **** off - just have them real time.

5 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I'd rather we could listen live, rather than listen to the edited versions we will no doubt get

Not allowed in English football rules apparently.

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Hopefully a small step in a positive direction.

Still rather not have it thou.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/premier-league-var-change-news-20220802

Again, I don't really think there's even a place for a 'conversation' the ref should just trot over to the pitch side monitor and have another view himself without anyone else's input. 

However, hearing what the weasels say will be interesting when they've clearly covered a cock up as in the case of Jon Moss against Man City.

• Like 1

I've been a firm believer in the ref on the pitch watching the screen and making the decision but at this point I'm leaning towards having the VAR guys doing the calls but only having 30 seconds to do it.

Any decision that takes longer than that to reach when looking at the pictures then the call on the pitch should stand. Spending minutes to watch replays of mm offsides, possible hand balls or tiny touches that might or might not be a foul is comical. They still get it wrong as often as they get it right so it's all pointless anyway.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

On another note who the **** are union Saint gilloise?! 

Never come across them before even on FM, had a look at the table and they finished 5 points clear after 34 games but then lost the playoffs so didn't win the title, that's a shit system, would have been their first title in 80 odd years 

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Under the rules yeah it's a penalty

Yellow card is **** daft though 

Deflection off own player from 1 yard away bouncing on to your arm = penalty?

I might be done with football sooner than I thought :D 

Just now, bobzy said:

Deflection off own player from 1 yard away bouncing on to your arm = penalty?

I might be done with football sooner than I thought :D 

Can't remember one that was a deflection from their own player but there's been a few where an attacker behind the defender and headed the ball against their arm, the defender can't see the ball but it's still handball

If your arm is out and it hits it then it doesn't matter how or why it's a pen

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Can't remember one that was a deflection from their own player but there's been a few where an attacker behind the defender and headed the ball against their arm, the defender can't see the ball but it's still handball

If your arm is out and it hits it then it doesn't matter how or why it's a pen

Literally the video I just posted.

That rule is a madness.  They have completely **** handball :D 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Literally the video I just posted.

That rule is a madness.  They have completely **** handball :D 

Yeah that's what I mean I can't remember seeing that before to say precedent is set 

Handball, offside...its not just that they've changed it to something daft it's that they've changed it so often no one knows what's going on any more 

• Thanks 1

The rule isnt just "if your arm is out".

It's if it's in an unnatural position. I'd argue the guy didn't really have anywhere else to put his hand there without throwing himself completely off balance.

As for the England one,  I think they got it wrong. But deserved after the ref got virtually everything wrong in Germany's favour in the first half. 

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

The rule isnt just "if your arm is out".

It's if it's in an unnatural position. I'd argue the guy didn't really have anywhere else to put his hand there without throwing himself completely off balance.

As for the England one,  I think they got it wrong. But deserved after the ref got virtually everything wrong in Germany's favour in the first half. 

thats what i mean about there being so many rule changes now its been lost

5 years ago the terminology was outside the silhouette of your body

• Like 2

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

On another note who the **** are union Saint gilloise?! 

Never come across them before even on FM, had a look at the table and they finished 5 points clear after 34 games but then lost the playoffs so didn't win the title, that's a shit system, would have been their first title in 80 odd years 

Owned by the owner of Brighton, just recently got promoted. Think the top scorer last season will be starting for Brighton this season

Â