Trite Observations About the Housing Market

mjmooney

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes we need a lot more social housing. I agree the housing market is broken. Too many rich buying them as investments, when we have a major housing crisis in this county. Homeless, people living in temporary accomodation, shunted from hotel to hotel. Hope hes going to give power back to the councils, so the housing waiting lists go down. 

Id love it if starmer said he was putting a stop to this and any new built homes are solely for those that dont have  houses already under their name.

I agree paul its broken

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Because demand is still outstripping supply. Even Starmer's 1.5 million homes is a little short of the mark over 5 years

Demands high because the rich are buying all the properties up as the poor are being priced out

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

There goes our greenbelt

Do we really need more houses?? Just make houses more affordable 

I bet there are alot of new builds that are either empty or bought by stupid rich people who buy them and rent them out

Under every single government since the late 1970s we have built significantly fewer houses than have been needed to keep up with demand. We need to build a lot more houses to even begin to make a dent in the current need for affordable housing units

Edited by icouldtelltheworld
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Id love it if starmer said he was putting a stop to this and any new built homes are solely for those that dont have  houses already under their name.

I agree paul its broken

I'll be very dissapointed if Labour dont help the people that need housing the most. 

Social housing, council housing, housing associations, quadruple rates on buy to let, quadruple rates on second homes, charging businesses for the inspection of their rental properties, with that charge being sufficient to fund proper inspection and deter the slum landlord.

It’s all very easily done, if there is a genuine desire.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Under every single government since the late 1970s we have built significantly fewer houses than have been needed to keep up with demand. We need to build a lot more houses to even begin to make a dent in the current need for affordable housing units

Is there any data anywhere on how much of the population owns more than one property?

If i was a betting man id say its a large number

Legislating for single home ownership doesn't really solve the problem imo (people would game the system) and creates a nightmare around inheritance. If you've saved and bought your own home it shouldn't become a legal problem to inherit another if your parent/s croak it. No-one needs another headache when dealing with grief.

Like @chrisp65 says you need the will to make things better. The rest is pretty easy.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Is there any data anywhere on how much of the population owns more than one property?

The data is relatively old, 2018-2019 and it needs to be drilled down upon to get the full picture. It counts all second homes as a headline regardless of the reason, so a couple coming together and selling one of the assets, thats a second home, marital breakdown etc.

That said 3% of UK households reported owning a second home in 2008/09, and the percentage didn't change in 2018/19, as a figure that is 772,000 households reported a second home.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f044501e90e075c50609e43/2020_EHS_second_homes_factsheet.pdf

Households with second homes In 2018-19, 772,000 households reported having a second home, up from 572,000 in 2008-09 (although the proportion of households reporting a second home remains unchanged at 3%). Most (90%) of these second homes are owned; 10% are rented (up from 6% in 2008-09).

• Thanks 1

I imagine right to buy is a problem for the social housing stock levels. Allowing people to buy their home on one hand is a good thing, but it’s often below market value and there aren’t replacements being built.

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The data is relatively old, 2018-2019 and it needs to be drilled down upon to get the full picture. It counts all second homes as a headline regardless of the reason, so a couple coming together and selling one of the assets, thats a second home, marital breakdown etc.

That said 3% of UK households reported owning a second home in 2008/09, and the percentage didn't change in 2018/19, as a figure that is 772,000 households reported a second home.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5f044501e90e075c50609e43/2020_EHS_second_homes_factsheet.pdf

Thanks for that. Interesting 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I imagine right to buy is a problem for the social housing stock levels. Allowing people to buy their home on one hand is a good thing, but it’s often below market value and there aren’t replacements being built.

But again, easily corrected with legislation nobody could argue wasn’t fair.

You have a right to buy. Should you then sell that property within ‘x’ number of years, the Housing Association shares in any profit over and above the original sale value. To help build new homes.

From the ONS:

The proportion who reported a “holiday home” for their second address was more stable. The number of people across England and Wales who reported the use of a holiday home rose slightly (from 426,000 in 2011 to 447,000 in 2021),

Which also goes in to what a second address might mean, student accommodation, armed forces, parents, etc..

Just now, chrisp65 said:

But again, easily corrected with legislation nobody could argue wasn’t fair.

You have a right to buy. Should you then sell that property within ‘x’ number of years, the Housing Association shares in any profit over and above the original sale value. To help build new homes.

It would help, but I thought the issue with building more houses was not money, it was local, national and EU legislation.

People buy them up and whether they stay or sell on that house has gone from the stock forever (unless the council buys it back, which they sometimes do).

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

It would help, but I thought the issue with building more houses was not money, it was local, national and EU legislation.

People buy them up and whether they stay or sell on that house has gone from the stock forever (unless the council buys it back, which they sometimes do).

I’m not sure what legislation would prevent the building of more houses?

Do you mean the Biodiversity Net Gain legislation? Or town plans and purpose groups? 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The renter pays council tax not the landlord

The renter ultimately pays all the bills via their rent. Make the bills high enough and it becomes uneconomic to be an amateur landlord. 

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd imagine there is, I remember seeing that statistic about the proportion of the baby boomer generation who own more than one home, was something ridiculous like 25% of them.

This is partly the issue though, we sold off our social housing and now rely heavily on those people who own several homes to provide housing through the private rental market. The more that housing supply is constricted, the more that housing wealth is concentrated in the hands of a small number of the population. Hence why we need to build more housing units to address the affordability issue. 

Restricted supply = house price inflation

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

The renter ultimately pays all the bills via their rent. Make the bills high enough and it becomes uneconomic to be an amateur landlord. 

As a high earning renter, sorry but your idea scares the shit out of me. I need private landlords. I'm too old to make a mortgage a viable option, I will never own a home but I will (hopefully) always earn way too much money for social housing to offer me anything

• Like 1

Â