Trite Observations About the Housing Market

mjmooney

Here is an observation (maybe trite)

Some first time buyers need to be more pragmatic when it comes to looking at what type of property to buy and in what area

Edited by Xela
added 'some'
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Lots of affordable housing schemes and shared ownership options my way, still need a deposit but certainly not tens of thousands.

Ever tried selling a shared ownership when you decide/need  to move?

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Here is an observation (maybe trite)

First time buyers need to be more pragmatic when it comes to looking at what type of property to buy.

Yes they should look much further away from where they work :wacko:

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes they should look much further away from where they work :wacko:

No, not much further but there are cheaper and more expensive areas in every town and city almost side by side. 

Like Sutton Coldfield, where I live. Reasonably expensive to buy. Mile or so down the road is Erdington, where I grew up. It's not a bad area, nice in some places and if you work in Birmingham, or even Sutton, it doesn't make much difference in journey time. The difference in property prices between the two can be quite big. I'm sure the same is true of where you live? 

Most people who are homeowners have started on the bottom rung and worked themselves up over the years into bigger properties and possibly nicer areas. It's very hard to jump on the ladder 3 or 4 rungs up. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Ever tried selling a shared ownership when you decide/need  to move?

Yes, I had one and sold it for asking price the day it went on the market (such is the demand for cheap housing). 

I think this is a very hot topic that will show huge breaks between generations. I started off with a minging flat in Erdington when I got out of uni in the late 70's, it cost me literally all my money a month to keep up with the interest alone, but after a hell of a lot of graft and work I managed to pay off enough and work hard at renovating so that I could sell that flat and move to a nicer semi in Tadley in Hampshire. I got a job in Twickenham and sat on the train for what felt like an eternity for my commute. After about 5 years of doing what I did with my original flat I flipped again and moved to a little village just outside Winchester. All in all it took me over 20 years to get to a decent place - and I had so many sleepless nights about how to manage to get there.

I get that it is a lot harder for young people to get on the ladder these days, but I really don't see the same sort of spirit to move anywhere, and I mean anywhere, to get a job and a place to live these days as back then. From my year 10-11 in a small school outside Dudley only 1 of my friends have stayed in the area. The rest have scattered throughout the UK and the world. That is what we had to do to get on the ladder. When I look at my kids' friends and their kids again I see very little urgency in getting on the ladder unless it's by skipping those horrible 10 years that I had to go through. The thing is that a ladder doesn't start half way up. That might sound harsh but it is reality - the best advice I ever gave my daughter was to move to Reading to find a job and stop looking in Winchester. She's now got a great job and have been given the opportunity to work in Southampton - none of which would happen if she insisted on working 5 minutes from our door.

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I think this is a very hot topic that will show huge breaks between generations. I started off with a minging flat in Erdington when I got out of uni in the late 70's, it cost me literally all my money a month to keep up with the interest alone, but after a hell of a lot of graft and work I managed to pay off enough and work hard at renovating so that I could sell that flat and move to a nicer semi in Tadley in Hampshire. I got a job in Twickenham and sat on the train for what felt like an eternity for my commute. After about 5 years of doing what I did with my original flat I flipped again and moved to a little village just outside Winchester. All in all it took me over 20 years to get to a decent place - and I had so many sleepless nights about how to manage to get there.

I get that it is a lot harder for young people to get on the ladder these days, but I really don't see the same sort of spirit to move anywhere, and I mean anywhere, to get a job and a place to live these days as back then. From my year 10-11 in a small school outside Dudley only 1 of my friends have stayed in the area. The rest have scattered throughout the UK and the world. That is what we had to do to get on the ladder. When I look at my kids' friends and their kids again I see very little urgency in getting on the ladder unless it's by skipping those horrible 10 years that I had to go through. The thing is that a ladder doesn't start half way up. That might sound harsh but it is reality - the best advice I ever gave my daughter was to move to Reading to find a job and stop looking in Winchester. She's now got a great job and have been given the opportunity to work in Southampton - none of which would happen if she insisted on working 5 minutes from our door.

You are looking at it all wrong. Why should you have to strive, bleed, sacrifice and go without from month to month, essentially just existing just to get an average run down 3 bed semi or one bed flat in a shit area when the people who live in the affluent areas who have fiddled the system like their relatives before them to get rich to buy up all the property that us normal folk should otherwise be able to afford. When working class people can't simply afford to get a two bedroomed decent property in a normal area and resort to crap condition shoe boxes while the corrupt wealthy take the piss with their second or third properties, THAT is when the system is ****.

We all have to work hard, sacrifice and go without to try and get on the ladder, we all bloody do that not just you but the argument is that it shouldn't be this **** hard!

Edited by Ingram85

Â