Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

My social life has kicked into life the last few weeks after flat lining for months on end, but I am hoping to get on for some racing on Friday and Sunday evening if anybody is about?

I won't be around on Friday but could be around on Sunday.

I'll also be on tonight if anyone else is.

• Like 1

Gutted!  Thought I had set my capture length to 15 mins but alas its only 5. Thought this was a pretty even race to be fair.  Still need to switch to manual because it's proven to be seconds faster per lap.

• Like 1

Yeah I used to not think the manual vs automatic thing was much of a debate. But it definitely helps. Especially with cars like the Megan Trophy where you can really rev the top end of gears and eek out a couple more tenths.

Do any of you guys use a wheel? I'm currently using motion control but reckon gear changes will be difficult using that kind of setup.

And yes Marcus to really good isn't he? Haven't found a course that he doesn't excel at.

Nah I use a controller. I did try the motion controls but couldn't get on with that at all.

Would like to try a wheel but they're so expensive, there's no way I'll be buying one just for this. Plus I'd have to buy some sort of rig to use it.

Yeah Marcus is very good. He's always been good at racing games (I've been playing video games with Mark since the NES!).
He Karts competitively in real life as well which I'm sure helps in terms of lines and how to approach racing.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nah I use a controller. I did try the motion controls but couldn't get on with that at all.

Would like to try a wheel but they're so expensive, there's no way I'll be buying one just for this. Plus I'd have to buy some sort of rig to use it.

Yeah Marcus is very good. He's always been good at racing games (I've been playing video games with Mark since the NES!).
He Karts competitively in real life as well which I'm sure helps in terms of lines and how to approach racing.

It didn't help him on Trials though ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Would like to try a wheel but they're so expensive

I've been looking at 2nd hand wheels on CEX which aren't too expensive but as you say it'll need a rig too.

Trying the daily races.

Did two different ones. Mid grid at the start. I get a great start both times and both times get absolutely twatted off the track and end up last. Pointless innit really? The guy who did it gets a small penalty and my entire race is ruined.

This was the latest.

I get smashed twice on the first 4 corners. Hairpin, somebody goes way too fast and I recover it.

Then the final turn, way too fast knocks me flying. His race will be fine but mine is totally over.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Confession alert. I was racing on Dragon Trail this evening and noticed @Stevo985 had used a Hurican to get a great time (No point trying to beat @MadManMarcus ?) so I went and brought one.  Absolutely smashed his time then it dawned on me he'd used a Gr4 not the Gr3 I'd used ?

Edited by dubbs
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Trying the daily races.

Did two different ones. Mid grid at the start. I get a great start both times and both times get absolutely twatted off the track and end up last. Pointless innit really? The guy who did it gets a small penalty and my entire race is ruined.

This was the latest.

I get smashed twice on the first 4 corners. Hairpin, somebody goes way too fast and I recover it.

Then the final turn, way too fast knocks me flying. His race will be fine but mine is totally over.

Been there before, it is so frustrating and I have had many a rage at that kind of thing. What I will say though is that I think quitting the race might affect your SR rating, which will keep you down racing with the dirty gits. Sometimes you just have to take it, carry on and make the most of it you can.

I tend to avoid the one type races as well as they are the worst for becoming a demolition derby in my opinion.

Edited by NeilS

17 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Trying the daily races.

This was the latest.

It’s frustrating. You just have to expect that this kind of thing is going to happen. Especially when you’re racing with the lower ranks because way more mistakes are going to be made and you won’t be driving with the high ranked SR drivers. 

The one type races are always dirty because the cars are so evenly matched. 

Like Neil says, don’t quit mid race. It absolutely destroys your SR. You’ll never manage to raise yourself to be racing with the cleaner drivers if you do that. 

Managed a 2nd place in the FIA Nations race today. From 11th on the grid. Very happy with that!

scrappy first couple of laps then it settles down and I realised if I did a bit of fuel saving I could probably go without a refuel so made up loads of time on the pitstop.
I actually came out in front of the eventual winner from the pits so if I hadn't been ragged on the couple of laps after that I maybe could have won.

I was a bit naive on the last corner as I let the guy in 4th go up my inside and nudge me off which meant I didn't finish ahead on track. But the penalties worked in my favour.

The penalties are SO harsh on the FIA races. Check out the 2.5 second penalty I get on the first lap for going about 1mm onto the grass!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

I've done 3 daily races today.

On all 3 I was smashed off the track and into last on either the 1st or 2nd corner.

I tried to carry on but it's no fun at the back.

I mean, look at this one. The guy is full speed into a hairpin and I'm stuck on the wall.

Yeah I went a little into the back of the guy in front but why did only I ghost and knocked nobody else off? How did the guy not the penalty? I didn't break check him.

Edited by StefanAVFC

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've done 3 daily races today.

On all 3 I was smashed off the track and into last on either the 1st or 2nd corner.

I tried to carry on but it's no fun at the back.

I mean, look at this one. The guy is full speed into a hairpin and I'm stuck on the wall.

Yeah I went a little into the back of the guy in front but why did only I ghost and knocked nobody else off? How did the guy not the penalty? I didn't break check him.

That was the guy in front's fault. The only reason the guy behind you has hit you so hard is because you stopped dead as a result of the guy in front being almost stationary. He might have been going a bit quick but I don't think it was as bad as it seemed from his point of view.

Again it is frustrating. And those one make short daily races are the absolute worst races to do for that. That first corner you're probably better off hanging back and taking a wide line and let the carnage happen in front of you

Edited by Stevo985

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That was the guy in front's fault. The only reason the guy behind you has hit you so hard is because you stopped dead as a result of the guy in front being almost stationary. He might have been going a bit quick but I don't think it was as bad as it seemed from his point of view.

Again it is frustrating. And those one make short daily races are the absolute worst races to do for that. That first corner you're probably better off hanging back and taking a wide line and let the carnage happen in front of you

It was more frustrating because I'd made a really quick start, was well placed to come out of that hairpin in 4th and instead I'm last.

I ended up making up 3/4 positions back with some fast laps but still.

Back up to high B for SR now so hopefully will see some cleaner races!

btw why did I ghost when I got hit? I should take taken out the guy in front of me too.

Edited by StefanAVFC

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It was more frustrating because I'd made a really quick start, was well placed to come out of that hairpin in 4th and instead I'm last.

I ended up making up 3/4 positions back with some fast laps but still.

Back up to high B for SR now so hopefully will see some cleaner races!

btw why did I ghost when I got hit? I should take taken out the guy in front of me too.

The ghosting was probably from when you stopped due to hitting the guy in front (although I'm not sure why he wasn't also ghosted). A stationary or really slow car usually gets ghosted to stop people interfering in races.

The ghosting can be a bit random but it's necessary. Check out some YouTube clips of people playing Forza 7 to see why no ghosting can be such an issue.

If you can get yourself to S/A for SR then things should improve. Although at a low DR the chances of people making genuine mistakes and causing crashes like your clip above still exists.

If you watch some YouTube clips of the best guys racing (There's a channel called TheKie25 and he is good enough to be in races with literally the fastest players in the game) it is insane how clean their races are.

In fact I'd advise anyone to watch some of those races. It helps to teach that lesson of just because you're faster than someone doesn't mean you have to overtake them at this very second. Wait for a good opportunity.
"Super GT" and "EERIEISSSS" are good channels for GT Sport content too. Super Gt is probably my favourite, but EERIEISSSS does a series of videos where he goes from a low DR to a high DR so it might be a good one to watch.

Edited by Stevo985

I can't even get a daily race today. I sign up, do some laps and it sits at 'preparing to match'. I can't even quit out so I have to restart the app.

Very, very buggy so far.

Gave up, tried to enter 3 and all 3 got stuck at 'preparing to match' so I'm going to bed

Edited by StefanAVFC

I got this in the sale a couple of weeks ago and played it but it was pretty daunting and I didn’t really know where to start. I did a couple of races against AI but couldn’t seem to catch up on them, maybe I need to switch to manual.

Any tips on how to get into the game and racing in general? Admittedly I’m more an arcade racing game kinda guy and I’m used to Forza and having the racing line on the track, though I understand the basics of them. 

It’d be nice to race against you guys and play with some of you again. 

• Like 1

Â