Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

10 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I can't even get a daily race today. I sign up, do some laps and it sits at 'preparing to match'. I can't even quit out so I have to restart the app.

Very, very buggy so far.

Gave up, tried to enter 3 and all 3 got stuck at 'preparing to match' so I'm going to bed

Not being funny but either it's your connection or your copy is bugged. Maybe re-download it or something?

I've never had any issues with it and haven't really heard of anyone else getting continued bugs.

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

I got this in the sale a couple of weeks ago and played it but it was pretty daunting and I didn’t really know where to start. I did a couple of races against AI but couldn’t seem to catch up on them, maybe I need to switch to manual.

Any tips on how to get into the game and racing in general? Admittedly I’m more an arcade racing game kinda guy and I’m used to Forza and having the racing line on the track, though I understand the basics of them. 

It’d be nice to race against you guys and play with some of you again. 

GINKS! YES!

Would love to race with you.

As for your questions, if you're failing to catch up with the AI then I don't think using Automatic is the issue. Manual is faster but it's not going to make a huge difference when you're a beginner.

If I were you I'd carry on doing what you're doing, racing against the AI until you're competing. I'd personally turn off the assists but each to their own.

Then when you're comfortable vs the AI jump into the Daily Races. That is easily the best part of the game. It's really made for racing online (although there's plenty of offline content now)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not being funny but either it's your connection or your copy is bugged. Maybe re-download it or something?

I've never had any issues with it and haven't really heard of anyone else getting continued bugs.

Maybe.

But it also freezes on offline modes.

I guess it's an issue with a game that's always online

Switching to manual transmission has certainly helped me improve lap times on courses I know.  However i tried this week's daily race and I'm bloody awful at it!  Then again im still being matched against lotsof dodgem drivers at the moment. 

I am SO bad at Maggiore. Especially in the Gr3 cars.

It's a lovely track, but I just can't get to grips with it. Literally.

I can't stop the Gr3 cars sliding out of corners on that track.
I can qualify well, but I can't string a consistent race together.

Gonna use this week, with it as a daily race, to get better at it.

RIght, what’s the deal with Driving School? I’ve only done the first one and it took ages to get Gold. As for 2? I can’t even get Bronze! It’s literally just driving a car between two gates yet my car is so slow from launch. I’ve watched the video for it and he just seems to floor it all the way through the countdown, but when I do it I start so slow. He did the same on the first video but I had to accelerate as soon as I was allowed to go to get any time above Bronze.

I’ve looked online and everywhere says to turn off assists though I don’t see people having as hrs a time as I am.

I literally have on ASM, and ABS and Countersteering Assistance on Weak. I must be missing something obvious. I’m not a novice to these things. I’m winning every single race against AI on Easy. I’m not great at the moment, but I’m not this bad.

4 minutes ago, Ginko said:

RIght, what’s the deal with Driving School? I’ve only done the first one and it took ages to get Gold. As for 2? I can’t even get Bronze! It’s literally just driving a car between two gates yet my car is so slow from launch. I’ve watched the video for it and he just seems to floor it all the way through the countdown, but when I do it I start so slow. He did the same on the first video but I had to accelerate as soon as I was allowed to go to get any time above Bronze.

I’ve looked online and everywhere says to turn off assists though I don’t see people having as hrs a time as I am.

I literally have on ASM, and ABS and Countersteering Assistance on Weak. I must be missing something obvious. I’m not a novice to these things. I’m winning every single race against AI on Easy. I’m not great at the moment, but I’m not this bad.

That sounds strange. Only thing I can think of is do you have Traction Control on full or something?

Use the D Pad during a race to cycle through the displays on the bottom right. One of them is called TCS. The higher that is turned up, the slower you'll be.

Sure you don't have autobraking on?

Pretty sure though I am still getting to grips with the game and the sheer amount of customisation is daunting. Traction is set in the middle which was default for me I think. I’ll have a look at the TCS when I next play. All I know is that compared the the videos I pull away like a steamroller on treacle.

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

Pretty sure though I am still getting to grips with the game and the sheer amount of customisation is daunting. Traction is set in the middle which was default for me I think. I’ll have a look at the TCS when I next play. All I know is that compared the the videos I pull away like a steamroller on treacle.

I'm genuinely stumped. It sounds very strange if it's literally just how fast you pull away.

TCS will have an effect but it shouldn't be very noticeable

Maybe upload a video and we can have a look?

As for the customisation, honestly there isn't really a lot to do. The Daily races and most of the lobby races have "Balance of Performance" which disables tuning and handicaps or bosts the cars to make them relatively even.

All you really have to worry about is Traction control and fuel usage, but honestly at the beginner stage you can probably forget about them too. I only suggested it because of your description of going so slow. If TCS is only halfway it shouldn't affect things.

While Stevo and Marcus were leading easily, I was doing some intense racing and I was happy with this move on the final corner (after I was way too cautious and let him back in!)

• Like 1

Just messed around the traction settings, no difference. I tried uploading but the **** service is temporarily unavailable or some crap like that.

I can’t find much online so I doubt it’s an issue with the game as a whole, just mine for whatever reason. I saw something about controller triggers not registering as fully held down properly but my car is maxing out on the revs, it’s just like I’m driving a super slow car. I’ve tried auto and manual but yeah, I can’t even hit 13 seconds and it’s literally weaving around two damn cones.

Same issue on the first challenge and that’s literally driving in a straight line. On the official videos, the guy is getting into third before hitting the finish line but I don’t even get out of second before I cross. I’ll keep trying to upload a video, I must be doing something really dumb without knowing.

Edited by Ginko

It’s my controller. I remapped my controls to have accelerate on the R1 and it worked just fine. No problem on any other games but I guess they’re not as sensitive as GT or other racing games. Mystery solved.

• Like 2

The FIA race with the F1 cars yesterday was, predictably, carnage.

I've grown to like the car now (they've definitely tweaked something) but it's so quick, and so lively in the low speed corners, that the race was absolutely littered with mistakes. 

I wish I could race it again, as I think I would just stick the Traction Control up high and race at about 80-90% rather than trying to go full pelt. 
Firstly that would mean I wouldn't have to pit for fuel. And secondly I reckon if you could have done the whole race without crashing you'd have been on for a top 3 finish, even if you weren't that quick. Even the leaders weren't quick in my race. I got lapped (yes lapped) by the leader but then stayed with him for 2 laps after that. So he wasn't much quicker than me, if at all. He just didn't crash.

It was such a weird result. I finished a lap down on the leaders, but came 9th. Yet I had lapped everyone else up to 11th :D 

The spread was massive.

Finally getting into this and picking up PSVR. I did a lap of the Nurburgring last night and it was immense although I felt a little woozy afterwards.

I really like the sound of the online stuff but need to brush up on my skills first having the played since GT4.

5 hours ago, dubbs said:

Have you got a wheel and peddles Jim? Would be ace to use with PSVR. 

No sadly not, with a 4yr old and another on the way I just don't have the space for it. I imagine it is an incredible experience though, you really feel the sense of speed when wearing the headset. I even feel my tummy go as I down a hill really fast. 

Â