Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

16 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I never knew that affected your DR, that might explain why I dropped back from C to D after a few races where I was pinged about a bit in Monza.

Yeah generally it doesn't.

But I think they have a limit. So you can't be an A rated driver (DR) unless your SR is above a certain level. So if your SR drops beneath that level it resets your DR.
I guess it's to stop people who don't give a shit about their SR winning a load of races by smashing people about and falsely getting a high DR

Edited by Stevo985

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Press Share on your controller and it will give you the option to save a video clip. That saves the last 15 minutes of gameplay.

You can then find it in the "Capture gallery" on your PS4 dashboard and it gives you the option to trim it to whatever length you want.

Then if you highlight your clip and press Share again, it gives you the option to upload to YouTube.

MIght be a bit tricky the first time you try it but it's pretty simple once you've done it once.

Thanks Stevo, I will give it a try later on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If @StefanAVFC gets the game and @villarule123 follows suit as promised, we'll definitely have enough players here for a VT Grand Prix

@dubbs @NeilS @Dick Interested?

6 players is probably enough for a private race. Any less and we could use an open lobby.

Absolutely yes. The only issue is my PS4 keeps crashing (regularly) same error code and I can't seem to fix it, but will give a go!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick said:

The only issue is my PS4 keeps crashing (regularly) same error code and I can't seem to fix it, but will give a go!

Have you turned it off and back on again? If so I'm stumped...

Got the update and conveniently I had just over 2million credits (I hardly ever buy anything on the game) so I spunked it all on the Mercedes F1 car.

It is impossible to drive. Even in 4th gear with Traction Control on 3, you can't go full throttle or you spin. It's very very difficult!

• Like 2

OK lets see if this works.

My first race in months with no practice, other than ten minutes of qualifying. So you will have to excuse the ropey/ragged driving skills. I am marginally better than this normally....honest!!

Edited by NeilS

Having re-watched the above video, I can't help but notice that I was a lot slower than my qualifying time hitting 2:18 per lap rather than a 2:13 lap, probably because of the battling and errors. I think that I could have won that race if I had not had a terrible second half of lap 3 and start to lap 4, also I only once got around the hairpin in any way that was controlled which always put me under pressure in the 2nd half of each lap.

38 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Having re-watched the above video, I can't help but notice that I was a lot slower than my qualifying time hitting 2:18 per lap rather than a 2:13 lap, probably because of the battling and errors. I think that I could have won that race if I had not had a terrible second half of lap 3 and start to lap 4, also I only once got around the hairpin in any way that was controlled which always put me under pressure in the 2nd half of each lap.

Can't see the video (blocked at work but I'll watch it when I'm home), but it's very common for your race pace to be slower than your qualifying pace. Unless you get a completely clear lap during the race there will usually be something that means you can't do a lap like you would in quali. Battling, slipstream, general race nerves etc Plus if you add in tyre wear and fuel etc then it all adds up.

Even the video I posted on Sunday of the race at Alsace. The last two laps of that video I would consider pretty blistering race pace (for me) with no battling or overtaking to be done. But they're still short of my quali time which was, from memory, 2:01.1

5 seconds is quite a gap though but if you were battling a lot then it's understandable.

I'll check the video out when I'm home and try and offer you some tips. Blind leading the blind but I'll try :D 

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Can't see the video (blocked at work but I'll watch it when I'm home), but it's very common for your race pace to be slower than your qualifying pace. Unless you get a completely clear lap during the race there will usually be something that means you can't do a lap like you would in quali. Battling, slipstream, general race nerves etc Plus if you add in tyre wear and fuel etc then it all adds up.

Even the video I posted on Sunday of the race at Alsace. The last two laps of that video I would consider pretty blistering race pace (for me) with no battling or overtaking to be done. But they're still short of my quali time which was, from memory, 2:01.1

5 seconds is quite a gap though but if you were battling a lot then it's understandable.

I'll check the video out when I'm home and try and offer you some tips. Blind leading the blind but I'll try :D 

I think it was mainly down to an error here and there, or battling with someone as you say. I think the quali time was a pretty good lap time (for me) which I hooked up correctly with minimal mistakes, I got the hairpin correct on my quali time whereas I messed it up virtually everytime in the race and got a bad drive out of the corner. When racing it is a lot tougher to hit your breaking spots as well, because someone is almost always putting you under pressure. There were also a couple of times I had to ease off due to slow going competition taking penalties, but becoming solid again as I reached them.

All in all, not too bad for my first race back. Still need some more practice and maybe try and get used to manual gear changes.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Got the update and conveniently I had just over 2million credits (I hardly ever buy anything on the game) so I spunked it all on the Mercedes F1 car.

It is impossible to drive. Even in 4th gear with Traction Control on 3, you can't go full throttle or you spin. It's very very difficult!

Seems to be quite a lot of negative feedback on the reddit regarding the car and the way it handles, from people who know a lot more about it than I do! So it's not just me :)

From some of the YouTube vids I watched last night of people using it, it seems that anything 4th gear and below is used very very rarely. Which seems mad!

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Seems to be quite a lot of negative feedback on the reddit regarding the car and the way it handles, from people who know a lot more about it than I do! So it's not just me :)

From some of the YouTube vids I watched last night of people using it, it seems that anything 4th gear and below is used very very rarely. Which seems mad!

This is the thing though, F1 cars are extremely hard to handle for the average person. The F1 drivers are supremely talented drivers. Go too slow and you lose aerodynamics and grip, go fast and you need lightning reactions. My Dad had a go on an F1 simulator and he said he could not keep it on track. I imagine it is probably very accurate, just that us mere mortals will struggle to handle such a beast.

13 minutes ago, NeilS said:

This is the thing though, F1 cars are extremely hard to handle for the average person. The F1 drivers are supremely talented drivers. Go too slow and you lose aerodynamics and grip, go fast and you need lightning reactions. My Dad had a go on an F1 simulator and he said he could not keep it on track. I imagine it is probably very accurate, just that us mere mortals will struggle to handle such a beast.

Yeah i think you're right, but there are people on the Reddit who seem pretty knowledgeable about race sims that are saying it's glaringly wrong.

I don't know enough to say either way

20 hours ago, NeilS said:

OK lets see if this works.

My first race in months with no practice, other than ten minutes of qualifying. So you will have to excuse the ropey/ragged driving skills. I am marginally better than this normally....honest!!

That's a good race for your first one after a break. You could easily have won that with a bit more consistency. 

That Brit at the end was a right word removed. Running down his penalty right on the racing line on the fastest corner on the track and then punting that other guy off at the end.

Only real advice I can give is brake a bit earlier for those slow corners (But I think you know that, that's why you messed up the hairpin each time).
And maybe take a wider entry to corners. You'll be able to carry a lot more speed if you open up that entry.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's a good race for your first one after a break. You could easily have won that with a bit more consistency. 

That Brit at the end was a right word removed. Running down his penalty right on the racing line on the fastest corner on the track and then punting that other guy off at the end.

Only real advice I can give is brake a bit earlier for those slow corners (But I think you know that, that's why you messed up the hairpin each time).
And maybe take a wider entry to corners. You'll be able to carry a lot more speed if you open up that entry.

Yeah I saw that ramming at the end, not sure what all that was about. I guess they must have been having a coming together a few times during the race as there were a few times cars were going off track in pairs.

I always have the fear at hairpins of being punted off, but those times were just misjudged as I was too late on the brakes. I do usually brake earlier in qualifying as I am not thinking about other cars.

I was fairly happy with my first race back, I didn’t expect to finish as high up as I did, but I was helped by the Brit being a word removed at the end.

• Like 1

Gotta love that first lap too. People just driving off the track all over the place :D 

I think if you just keep your car on the tarmac for the first lap and stay out of trouble you'll usually make up some places. Then push it after that when the pack spreads out.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Gotta love that first lap too. People just driving off the track all over the place :D 

I think if you just keep your car on the tarmac for the first lap and stay out of trouble you'll usually make up some places. Then push it after that when the pack spreads out.

Yeah I think I jumped about three places on the first corner alone. The following series of corners at the start of Suzuki always claims a number of victims who over cook it. I have learned to keep a medium speed through there and keep the line.

I have won there once, I think it was my first or second race victory. I wasn’t the fastest, but won due to keeping consistent and errors to a minimum.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2018 at 11:29, Stevo985 said:

Yeah i think you're right, but there are people on the Reddit who seem pretty knowledgeable about race sims that are saying it's glaringly wrong.

I don't know enough to say either way

The consensus is very much now that there is a bug in the car. Something to do with the car automatically going into neutral when you brake, causing it to spin incredibly easily.

Basically the only way people are driving it is to never go below 4th gear.

Be interesting to see if they're right or if it's just a false conclusion that everyone has jumped on.

Â