Gran Turismo Sport

Straggler

I can tell this is going to annoy me.

I should have come 5th in my first daily race but I tried to overtake twice, got blocked off and ended up crashing. Neither of us lost DR...

Will get used to it I guess.

31 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I should have come 5th in my first daily race but I tried to overtake twice, got blocked off and ended up crashing. Neither of us lost DR...

Welcome to GTS! It's actually really good when you find a decent lobby. 

Next daily race. Get rammed 2/3 times and the person who did it gets third.

Then my car started braking for me without me telling it to.

Then I ran out of fuel despite pitting twice

I need help :D

9 hours ago, dubbs said:

You're a bloody let down!  I went to all the trouble of setting up a lobby and nobody was on.

Ha, sorry mate. I had some dramas at home. Couldn't really say "well now that argument is over can you go to bed so I can play some Gran Turismo" :D:D

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's SR you lose for bad behaviour.

You'll find the SR system both brilliant, and incredibly frustrating.

Overall it is DEFINITELY a good thing. But there are elements of it that will infuriate you.

Basically if you care about your SR, it's often best to just avoid contact at all costs. Even if it costs you a place in the race. It pays off in the long run because you end up getting cleaner and cleaner races.

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

You might have all the assists on still if your car is braking without you telling it to.

My honest advice would be to turn all the assists off. You'll benefit long term by getting rid of them. 

For example I used to have the cones on (they show you the approximate braking point going into a corner) but I realised I wasn't really learning the tracks. I was relying on the cones. Once you turn them off you look for physical braking points that never move so you're better off in the long run.

I might be wrong but I've found that as your SR improves, the lobbies tend to have better drivers in.  Remember,  the initial lobbies seem to be full of people who've just moved over from GTA ?

Try playing the circuit experiences to learn the tracks.  Really useful section of Arcade IMO. 

I've done a separate post for fuel usage:

Fuel usually only counts in Daily Race C, and fuel management seems to be becoming more and more prevalent in them. If you cycle through the controls in the bottom right during a race (right/left on the d pad and then up and down to adjust) you get to one that shows your engine power. The higher the number the "leaner" your fuel usage. So if you stick it up to 6 you'll use way less fuel, but you'll also have way less power. It also shows you exactly how much fuel you have left as a percentage and approximately how many laps that will give you.

The best ways to save fuel are using those controls, slipstreaming as much as possible and, if you're using manual transmission, short shifting as much as possible.

It sounds complicated and overwhelming at first, but once you get the hang of it it's fine. You'll find yourself doing maths in the middle of a race to figure out when you should pit! If in doubt just ignore it but you'll have to pit more than others (or it will take you longer when you do pit)

Oh, and by far the stupidest thing about the game is that **** message that comes on saying you're running out of fuel. In red writing right in the middle of the screen. I can't comprehend why they do that. And if they have to do that, put it at the top of the **** screen, not right in my eyeline!
I can't understand why they don't have an option to turn it off.

45 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I might be wrong but I've found that as your SR improves, the lobbies tend to have better drivers in.  Remember,  the initial lobbies seem to be full of people who've just moved over from GTA ?

It definitely does. 

Whilst I still think the SR is too strict these days, it has improved the racing because you basically have to be really good to maintain a high SR. It's so easy to accidentally hit someone, even in a minor way, and it can still ruin your SR.

Generally, the longer the race, the better the behaviour, because people are more patient. 
The shorter sprint races have people just desperate to overtake as early as possible. The one make daily races are usually a **** shit show for your SR.

Edited by Stevo985

16 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

7 hours ago, dubbs said:

Try playing the circuit experiences to learn the tracks.  Really useful section of Arcade IMO. 

Further to this point from @dubbs, completing circuit experience is a quick-ish way to earn gift cars and money.

Edited by NeilS

Oh also I forgot a good way to get a couple of decent cars is to sign for a manufacturer.

If you go to Sport mode and then instead of going into daily races go into the manufacturer series race you'll be prompted to sign for a manufacturer. Once you've done this you can use their cars (usually one GR4 and one GR3 car) for the whole of that season, whether you own them or not.

The disadvantage is once you've signed you have to stay with them until the end of the season so if you have any ambition of doing the manufacturer races, choose well!

I wish I hadn't bothered with the FIA races.

Had to install an update so missed the 8 o'clock slot. 
First FIA race was at Brands Hatch, which I think is my least favourite track. It's **** shit. So spent about 20 minutes practising and then gave up.

So then didn't have enough time to practice for the Manufacturers race at 9:10, so decided to wait until the 10:10 so I could get some practice in on Dragon Trail Gardens which I barely know.
Did loads, started the rcae, qualified 7th which isn't too bad, got punted off on the first chicane and ended up last.
Then decided I could do a zero stop strategy if I saved fuel and make up a few places... only I misjudged it so had to fill up anyway and came literally last. 19th out of 19.

What a waste of an evening :D 

Just now, dubbs said:

I love driving on Brands Hatch IF  I don't screw up on the 1st corner:crylaugh:

I really hate it. It's so easy to drop two wheels onto the grass all over the place, and the run off areas are so huge that it is race over if you do it.

Plus the whole track is about one and a half car widths wide so you can't pass anyone anywhere. Which is fine if you're patient, but guaranteed you'll have some dickhead who thinks it's fine to try a move into one of those fast corners at the back of the circuit and punt you off.

I hate it :D 

And yeah that first corner is so hard. The way it drops away just pulls you off the track like a magnet.

So there's a tip when we start playing together. Choose Brands Hatch as a circuit and I'll probably lose.

7 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Choose anything other than Brands Hatch or Monza and chances are I'll DNF ?

I think Monza is one of the easiest tracks on the game. I absolutely love it, by the way. But it's really just 5 or 6 turns and a load of straights. Once you've nailed your braking points you're golden.

6 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I've turned most of the assists off now too. Still using automatic cuz I find manual too fiddly on a controller.  Keep being tempted to get a wheel.....

I've only just switched to manual. I do think it's a benefit but it is hard to get used to. And it makes it much harder to learn a track because you don't just have to think about turns and braking points, but which gear to be in as well.

It becomes second nature eventually, but when you're battling in a race it's easy to take your mind off the gears for a second and mess yourself up.

One thing I have noticed is it's much easier to lower your traction control when you use manual.

Â