Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

41 minutes ago, Awol said:

US Defence officials now confirm it’s a new space based capability that’s causing concern.

Nukes in space. Haha, FFS.

I'm not an expert but isn't it more likely to be some form a laser weapon rather than a nuclear warhead. There are many obstacles to getting nuclear material launched into space and getting it back out of space safely (if needed).

Also if it is a weapon in space then why don't Russia just announce it? Not much anyone can do about it once it's already up there. 

Edited by villa89

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

I can't believe Russia would have the technical capacity to fire Nuclear Weapons from space, especially with any kind of accuracy.  All of their wonder tech seems to be nothing more then a mirage. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I can't believe Russia would have the technical capacity to fire Nuclear Weapons from space, especially with any kind of accuracy.  All of their wonder tech seems to be nothing more then a mirage. 

In fairness they can fire them now from under water, into space, and then back into the atmosphere to hit a target 1000’s of Kms away. 

Dropping it to earth 160km up (with a little bit of booster and guidance to re-enter the atmosphere in the right place) doesn’t seem beyond their technical capability. 

31 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I'm not an expert but isn't it more likely to be some form a laser weapon rather than a nuclear warhead. There are many obstacles to getting nuclear material launched into space and getting it back out of space safely (if needed).

Also if it is a weapon in space then why don't Russia just announce it? Not much anyone can do about it once it's already up there. 

It could just be an anti-satellite weapon like a new type of laser, yes. What doesn’t make sense is why, in that case, it would cause such a big flap? 

Countries don’t always advertise their newest weapon systems, because if the enemy doesn’t know you have it, they can’t start preparing counter measures or trying to build one of their own.

We call those, secrets ;) 

15 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Wednesday - Russia puts nukes in Space. 

Thursday - The Clangers apply for NATO membership. 

Friday, latest Russian tech disabled in mystery soup based attack.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

At least that suggests it hasn’t happened yet. A nuke seems overkill doesn’t it? Surely a regular missile could comfortably take out satellites.

Edited by Genie

Cool. Can't wait to see how the MAGA types spin this as another reason to make sure we don't send any more aid to Ukraine.

Nukes in space are interesting. They're relatively ineffective in a vacuum because they can't create the pressure wave that actually causes most of the damage inflicted by a nuclear weapon, but I wonder if the idea is to generate some kind of EMP effect?

I'd have thought having a satellite-based nuke would be a scarier prospect; I imagine it'd be much harder to shoot down than a traditional ICBM where you can detect it on the way up and extrapolate the trajectory.

Although to be honest I suspect the idea was more just "launch a nuke into space on a satellite and watch the rest of the world shit themselves about how scary we are" than having a specific use case for it.

8 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I'd have thought having a satellite-based nuke would be a scarier prospect

If true then yes, I reckon it’s more the fear factor backed up with a load of bullshit from Putin about being able to destroy any city at a moments notice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

At least that suggests it hasn’t happened yet. A nuke seems overkill doesn’t it? Surely a regular missile could comfortably take out satellites.

As expected it's much ado about nothing. Most likely it's someone (the military) trying to scare congress to pass the aid for Ukraine bill. 

Russia thinks they might like to put a nuke in space, maybe, sometime, somehow, we think...at least some signs point to that being the case ... sort of...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

That doesn't sound realistic to me. Can't imagine launching a nuclear warhead on a rocket made of combustible fuel is hugely safe. And how do you decommission the satellite at its end of life? Can't just crash a nuke into the sea. 

My guess is election interference or Russian funding Trump/MAGA indirectly. 

It's extraordinarily difficult to set off a nuclear weapon. Putting one on a rocket is not particularly risky. It's how missiles work.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Setting off a nuke in low earth orbit would make low earth orbit unusable indefinitely. What it didn’t destroy would be destroyed over time by the accumulated debris - like the movie Gravity. 

It makes zero sense.

53 minutes ago, Awol said:

Setting off a nuke in low earth orbit would make low earth orbit unusable indefinitely. What it didn’t destroy would be destroyed over time by the accumulated debris - like the movie Gravity. 

It makes zero sense.

That's an exaggeration. Admittedly I'm not an expert but I reckon it'd probably generate far less debris than a conventional missile would - it'll vaporise everything within its range, which isn't that big in space because there's no air to make a pressure wave, rather than destroying it with shrapnel like missiles do. They mostly generate radiation, which there's plenty of in space anyway. But even if you assume it does act exactly the same way as a conventional missile, a single nuke really isn't going to make low earth orbit unusable (just like the anti-satellite missile tests didn't render space unusable), and certainly not indefinitely.

Remember NASA seriously considered using a spaceship engine that was powered by nuclear explosions (called Project Orion), which should indicate how much less of a problem nukes are in space compared to in atmosphere.

Edited by Panto_Villan

Elon Musk's Starlink will require 42,000 satellites to provide worldwide coverage.  There are already over 5,000 in orbit.  

How could Russia take out a significant percentage very quickly?  

I think we can guess.  

Let's see how the childish Musk reacts to a threat that will. requires the US government to protect his asset.  Hopefully the US military will charge him an exorbitant fee.  

This is an interesting development 

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said he would rather a Joe Biden presidency over Donald Trump ahead of the US election this November.

Mr Biden was the more experienced, predictable person, he said in remarks sure to raise eyebrows.

Before Mr Trump's first run for president in 2016, Mr Putin had praised him as "outstanding and talented".

Mr Biden has been a fierce critic of Mr Putin for years, calling him a "killer" before the invasion of Ukraine. 

Is he being genuine? Or does he not believe Trump can win it and doesn’t want to be seen to lose himself by backing the wrong horse?

link

• Haha 1

Â