• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I guess that includes all the dead bodies lying around all over the place.

No idea, it seems a bit of a wild claim tbh. 

That leaves 3% of the army to defend the biggest country in the world in terms of area. Also given how the Russian Army relies on the logistics of the rail network to transport everything to the front from all over Russia, a good 50%+ of the army is involved with logistics and not fighting. For 97% of them to be in Ukraine seems like bollocks if you ask me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

No idea, it seems a bit of a wild claim tbh. 

That leaves 3% of the army to defend the biggest country in the world in terms of area. Also given how the Russian Army relies on the logistics of the rail network to transport everything to the front from all over Russia, a good 50%+ of the army is involved with logistics and not fighting. For 97% of them to be in Ukraine seems like bollocks if you ask me.

I think it’s some kind of mind game with Putin. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You consistently read words that aren’t there which causes you to infer meaning that isn’t there.

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I consistently read articles, viewpoints and hints that this war is somehow the West's fault, and that we're prolonging it to make a buck because we're evil empire-seeking globalists. If that wasn't the intent of your post, which railed against the usual things that the same people rail against, then I apologise.

Apology accepted, no problem, we’ll move on.

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Do you not think it'll cost us more than the little we've given so far in trying to home 30 million Ukrainians if Putin is allowed to do as he pleases in Ukraine and the West has to carry all of the refugees from there?

By chance, what was the motivation for your argument about costs and certain industries (like defense) then, if I may ask?

Yes, if 30 million refugees pitch up in Western Europe this will cost us more and yes it would be a bad thing if Putin is allowed to do as he pleases. But I haven’t argued against that. 

My motivation for my argument? I argued a case that ‘we’ weren’t actually after a quick win. Surely, after 12 months against such allegedly poor demotivated criminal lemming like opposition that is demonstrably true?

I said that a quick win could destabilise Russia and lead to a refugee crisis. i said a quick win wouldn’t suit the arms manufacturers, or posturing politicians, or people that like seeing military stuff on social media. I said it wouldn’t suit the energy companies that are posting record profits.

Which bit of that are you actually disagreeing with? Which bit leads you to think I’m a tankie?

58 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I argued a case that ‘we’ weren’t actually after a quick win. Surely, after 12 months against such allegedly poor demotivated criminal lemming like opposition that is demonstrably true?

Far from it, from my perspective, Chris. I mean Putin was after a quick win, and he didn't get one either. What happens and what we want are 2 different things completely.

From my perspective, as I posted previously, so I'll not labour the point, but "we" don't know what we want. We're reacting to what we see as bad (for all sorts of reasons) - an egregious invasion of a sovereign state by an aggressor, an energy crisis, a humanitarian crisis, threats about nuclear weapons, all kinds of mixed up stuff. And we're muddling along, seemingly worried about starting WW3 or nukes being deployed, while at the same time wanting to support Ukraine, and no doubt "put Russia back in its box" (at the least). I think "we" want it all to stop as soon as possible, but "we" can't make it stop without putting troops on the ground and in the air, with all the consequences that would involve.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Far from it, from my perspective, Chris. I mean Putin was after a quick win, and he didn't get one either. What happens and what we want are 2 different things completely.

From my perspective, as I posted previously, so I'll not labour the point, but "we" don't know what we want. We're reacting to what we see as bad (for all sorts of reasons) - an egregious invasion of a sovereign state by an aggressor, an energy crisis, a humanitarian crisis, threats about nuclear weapons, all kinds of mixed up stuff. And we're muddling along, seemingly worried about starting WW3 or nukes being deployed, while at the same time wanting to support Ukraine, and no doubt "put Russia back in its box" (at the least). I think "we" want it all to stop as soon as possible, but "we" can't make it stop without putting troops on the ground and in the air, with all the consequences that would involve.

I think you’ve said the same as me but used more (eloquent) words. That we don’t know what we want is essentially the same as not specifically striving for an identifiable outcome.

If we wanted a quick win, if ISIS had taken that territory and were threatening to carry on the sweep through Poland and beyond then we would have known what we wanted: a quick win. We would have seen bigger bombs, quicker delivery of supplies, tanks, aircraft.

It’s evident that we ‘the west’ have the kit to beat an amateur invasion. That we have chosen not to, for whatever reason, is there for all to see. It’s February 2023 and Russia still holds Ukrainian land.

I completely get the whole array of reasons. But the reasons don’t change the basic fact.

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think you’ve said the same as me but used more (eloquent) words. That we don’t know what we want is essentially the same as not specifically striving for an identifiable outcome.

If we wanted a quick win, if ISIS had taken that territory and were threatening to carry on the sweep through Poland and beyond then we would have known what we wanted: a quick win. We would have seen bigger bombs, quicker delivery of supplies, tanks, aircraft.

It’s evident that we ‘the west’ have the kit to beat an amateur invasion. That we have chosen not to, for whatever reason, is there for all to see. It’s February 2023 and Russia still holds Ukrainian land.

I completely get the whole array of reasons. But the reasons don’t change the basic fact.

NATO has explained why the quick win wasn’t an option, though - because it would potentially result in WWIII and nuclear fallout - and because the pro-Ukraine alliance isn’t actually that strong once you move beyond the Baltics and start relying on countries like Germany / France / etc.

The comparison with Isis is actually quite appropriate - having the kit to beat an inferior force isn’t the same as actually being able to do it. You need local knowledge, you need legitimacy, you need political will, etc.

It’s pretty obvious why we haven’t just carpet bombed the entire invading army and nuked Moscow. Why the conspiratorial tones?

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

NATO has explained why the quick win wasn’t an option, though - because it would potentially result in WWIII and nuclear fallout - and because the pro-Ukraine alliance isn’t actually that strong once you move beyond the Baltics and start relying on countries like Germany / France / etc.

The comparison with Isis is actually quite appropriate - having the kit to beat an inferior force isn’t the same as actually being able to do it. You need local knowledge, you need legitimacy, you need political will, etc.

It’s pretty obvious why we haven’t just carpet bombed the entire invading army and nuked Moscow. Why the conspiratorial tones?

So, you’re agreeing we didn’t want a quick win?

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So, you’re agreeing we didn’t want a quick win?

I’m more saying it wasn’t feasible within fairly unavoidable parameters (not triggering nuclear war, etc). Obviously in an ideal world we’d want Putin to just back down and turn Russia into a liberal democracy. I don’t know how useful it is to think of this in terms of “wants” when as @blandysays they don’t necessarily align with outcomes (I want a massive cock for example).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I’m more saying it wasn’t feasible within fairly unavoidable parameters (not triggering nuclear war, etc). Obviously in an ideal world we’d want Putin to just back down and turn Russia into a liberal democracy. I don’t know how useful it is to think of this in terms of “wants” when as @blandysays they don’t necessarily align with outcomes (I want a massive cock for example).

Yep, I’ve written somewhere in the last few pages that what ‘we want’ is a homegrown organic blossoming of democracy in Russia.

Russia 1999, Iraq et al suggest that probably won’t happen and all those people forecasting or hoping for a Putin assassination have no idea what would come next, either in Moscow, or those satellite regions we don’t hear about until we suddenly realise they’re fighting over who owns the potential to make a dirty bomb.

I didn’t think I was being controversial listing some of the benefactors. I was deliberately not going to point out the wealth of Russia and how its consistently proved predictions of its imminent demise wrong. That it hasn’t run out of people, bullets, diesel, credit, friends. I thought that would have been the controversial conversation!

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, I’ve written somewhere in the last few pages that what ‘we want’ is a homegrown organic blossoming of democracy in Russia.

Russia 1999, Iraq et al suggest that probably won’t happen and all those people forecasting or hoping for a Putin assassination have no idea what would come next, either in Moscow, or those satellite regions we don’t hear about until we suddenly realise they’re fighting over who owns the potential to make a dirty bomb.

I didn’t think I was being controversial listing some of the benefactors. I was deliberately not going to point out the wealth of Russia and how its consistently proved predictions of its imminent demise wrong. That it hasn’t run out of people, bullets, diesel, credit, friends. I thought that would have been the controversial conversation!

Russia’s demise has already happened. It’s an impoverished basket case economy with a small wealthy elite

• Like 1

Russia had a little over half our GDP per capita, and a worse Gini (inequality) coefficient in 2018. And prison labour, extrajudicial executions, etc etc.

Being angry about what’s happening in the UK is normal, but thinking life here is comparable with Russia is ignorant.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

Â