Top Gear

Jez

Returned last night in it's new ahem, sensible version.

Really enjoyed it. Having a bit less of the obviously scripted nature of it was an instant improvement. Inn previous series they've increasingly played up the nature of the show as scripted, tonight however, the Reliant Robin skit didn't do that, or at least it did it in a much more subtle manner, and if thats a sign of things to come, great.

As it was, good episode. Few good laughs, the sight of a Reliant Robin constantly rolling over raised laugh after laugh. Made all the better by knowing someone who's actually done it completely accidentally ;).

As it was, good episode. Few good laughs, the sight of a Reliant Robin constantly rolling over raised laugh after laugh.

I did repeatlidly LOL at the relient Robin sketch. nice to get a few Tamworth refernces in their too. Shame out most famous resident Sir robert Peel didn't get a mention.

Really enjoyed the show. :thumb:

It was good. Parts seemed less scripted but I don't agree that the robin reliant thing looked unscripted! I was going to say that it looked more scripted than ever.

Doesn't mean that bit wasn't funny though. i laughed every time he rolled over. And that final crash looked very painful (although he obviously didn't actuall crash into the canal)

Yup and the fact that peter Stringfellow just happened to be driving down a street in Rotherham, and Dickie Bird just happened to be umpiring a cricket match.

Still, as I said, very funny.

I'm not saying the Robin sketch wasn't scripted, of course it was.

What I was saying that there seemed to be a subtle change in how they played the skit. They made it funny because it was a Reliant Robin rolling over the focus of the comedy, rather than what they have done previously, with the caravan episode for instance, where they seemed to try to make out the 'reality' of the situation being a lot of the reason it was funny.

There was a change in the approach imo and thats for the better.

I thought last night's episode was fantastic. :)

Same here. I mentioned this in the General Chat thread, but the Reliant Robin sketch was just comedy of the very highest order. The wife and I were in tears watching it, both absolutely crying with laughter. Ths bit where he turned up at the enthusiasts' meeting, and rolled it was possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV. I'm trying to stifle a giggle now just thinking about it.

It was brilliant I thought. When he first rolled the Reliant was the best I thought, I just wasn't expecting it.

That episode was up there with the British Leyland episode.

For some reason my favourite part of the Relian sketch was him driving into the garage inspection pit. It caught me completely off guard and had me nearly in tears.

Oh god yes, same here. Fantastic from start to finish.

It was brilliant I thought. When he first rolled the Reliant was the best I thought, I just wasn't expecting it.

That episode was up there with the British Leyland episode.

Yeah I pissed myself at that, not knowing quite what to expect and he went flying! Classic!

James May = mentalist as well.

The worst part of Top Gear is when they drive a fast car in a straight line, it's just boring (well it is for me anyway).

I watch Top Gear for comedy more than the reviews on cars that I will probably never own.

Dying a death now Top Gear, very tired and predictable.

Nonsense, it's one of the freshest most genuinely entertaining programmes on TV. Even my wife loves it, and she's not bothered about cars at all.

Nonsense, it's one of the freshest most genuinely entertaining programmes on TV. Even my wife loves it, and she's not bothered about cars at all.

Agree with you Risso. Its excellent viewing and like yourself, my missus watches it for the comedy with no interest in cars.

Its a double bonus for me as I like the car reviews as well and I must confess that I actually get a bit of a a semi-on when they smash a car up to 200mph.

Agree with you Risso. Its excellent viewing and like yourself, my missus watches it for the comedy with no interest in cars.

Its a double bonus for me as I like the car reviews as well and I must confess that I actually get a bit of a a semi-on when they smash a car up to 200mph.

I couldn't give a shit about cars.They are just A to B machines. The show is great in spite of the cars IMO.