Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

To be honest HE1982.....I thought we had shortfalls in us all season, but I think the injuries may have left us a bridge too far.....The QPR game was a massive disappointment for me, The Bolton game was pants and the Norwich game gave me grave doubts....but we rallied.

I think the model (in age )we set up was a bit too much for them 49 games in the league.

Yeah, injuries were a massive problem, had we not lost grealish and kodjia for so long and had the spell without Terry I think we would have done enough to finish second. 

People are acting like it's all over for us now and we will become the next leeds/qpr but I just can't see that being the case, we have a good base of players and some great young lads coming through I'd also expect Xia has a plan with ffp. I'm already looking forward to next season and I am hoping Steve Bruce will be our manager. 

21 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

No this season counted perfectly fine, we came close and missed out. 

So did you actually expect to get promoted after that start we had? With all the deadwood in that team? It was far to unrealistic in my opinion. 

well, when he was hired he said that the goal was get promoted that season.  So who was unrealistic, the manager or the people that trusted him? . Before you call other fans unrealistic in order to support a man who failed at his task twice, you would be well advised to check what the man himself said was the goal.  And he didn't use the word unrealistic in that sentence.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, holteend1982 said:

His first season doesn't count because when he took over we was in the relegation zone, we was a complete mess and he turned that around. Those who expected promotion in the first season especially after that start show the kind of unrealistic expectation a lot of our fans hold. 

The question is, is whether we have an appreciation of how much swamp we was in dictates the expectation of that season.

I think we know that many fans do not have much consideration of the realities of that.

Only folk who had one eye on the severity of the financial implications of relegation semi dismissed that and expected an immediate return.

Unfortunately financial burdens of a football club have no influence on the match.....that simple pass through the middle of our two defenders and the sleepy winger who failed to pick his run up.....just stuck 2 fingers up to £170 million.

The basics of football and the consequences of it are far reaching and not even closely comparable.

Those 3 players involved with just fly off on holiday and the remnants are there for all to see....it makes you think don't it.....and more poignant, its not the first time.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Yeah, injuries were a massive problem, had we not lost grealish and kodjia for so long and had the spell without Terry I think we would have done enough to finish second. 

People are acting like it's all over for us now and we will become the next leeds/qpr but I just can't see that being the case, we have a good base of players and some great young lads coming through I'd also expect Xia has a plan with ffp. I'm already looking forward to next season and I am hoping Steve Bruce will be our manager. 

you are right....its not the end of the world.

I am not going play down the disappointment, because i think we want our moment of that....we are all peed off.

but only one thing will change it all.....Good decisions

• Good decisions in recruitment
  • Good decisions in playing younger players
  • Good decisions in the shape of the team and players knowing and doing their job
  • Good decisions in scouting.

We will come back from this....but we won't come back with some of the decisions we have made in the past....everyone makes mistakes....we have just made too many.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He was a character, of he wasn't much else . 

He had us playing some lovely stuff when he first came in. What can you do when half your team run out the door ?

I am not going to hammer him Sheepy, because i quite like him.

but Southampton away.. was it 6-0.

not sure what you can build on the back of performance like that.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

• Good decisions in the shape of the team and players knowing and doing their job

i think 1 and 4 arent necessarily Bruces fault but i would say we're failing at all four of those during his tenure

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

You can't blame the manager for that, or can you ? I just enjoyed his adventurous approach to the game and his love of the fans.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I am only hoping he is , if he is hell bent on change.

Things have to change....there are many to mention.....but even the things like losing aerial balls in most challenges, I'm miffed by it....it maybe not directly game threatening, but lays a tone of lightweight and that manifests itself in to more pressing things.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You can't blame the manager for that, or can you ? I just enjoyed his adventurous approach to the game and his love of the fans.

ha ha probably not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

You don’t wish to hammer him but you choose the worst defeat , you old rascal ;)

the guy provided a few good memories in his brief time here - granted he had to go but the 4-0 win at Sunderland , beating of Albion and Liverpool in the fa cup were some bright spots in the recent years of dross . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Tro can if he’s not steve Bruce :) 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

you are right....its not the end of the world.

I am not going play down the disappointment, because i think we want our moment of that....we are all peed off.

We will come back from this....but we won't come back with some of the decisions we have made in the past....everyone makes mista....we have just made too many.

Metaphorically, it was the end of the world, when that final whistle went.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am only hoping he is , if he is hell bent on change.

Things have to change....there are many to mention.....but even the things like losing aerial balls in most challenges, I'm miffed by it....it maybe not directly game threatening, but lays a tone of lightweight and that manifests itself in to more pressing things.

I agree.  He needs to change.  But the changes he needs to make are the same changes I have been arguing he should make for over a year.  I just don't think he's capable of making them.  

Using your 4 points above

on recruitment, overall he did well, but a few clangers is inevitable.  The problem is that he didn't bring in speed, or youth.

on the young players.  He really should have been blooding the youngsters more, especially when we are short in some position due to injuries.

decisions about shape and roles.  I think we see this differently.  I don't think he made it clear and demanded that they fill their role.  You appear to think they were just incapable of doing any better.

scouting clearly it's needed, I don't know enough to comment on how well Bruce did that.

It's that third one that I have been so critical about.  I don't think he has done it well at all.    

21 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I agree.  He needs to change.  But the changes he needs to make are the same changes I have been arguing he should make for over a year.  I just don't think he's capable of making them.  

Using your 4 points above

on recruitment, overall he did well, but a few clangers is inevitable.  The problem is that he didn't bring in speed, or youth.

on the young players.  He really should have been blooding the youngsters more, especially when we are short in some position due to injuries.

decisions about shape and roles.  I think we see this differently.  I don't think he made it clear and demanded that they fill their role.  You appear to think they were just incapable of doing any better.

scouting clearly it's needed, I don't know enough to comment on how well Bruce did that.

It's that third one that I have been so critical about.  I don't think he has done it well at all.    

The thing for me Smithy is the No 9 role.....I wanted to see a dominant character in there that could bring players in and help to stop us playing so deep...also to capitalise on the crosses and capabilities of Snoddy and Albert ...at lot of their work was wasted..... in the end, I thought they was crossing to each other......Imagine Gray, withe or Benteke in there.....jack would have had a field day from the knock downs.

I know its easy to be wise after the event and who knows I could be wrong.....I don't dislike Grabban and his haul 20 goals in a season is commendable, but I am looking more of his effect on the whole team like Mitrovic had.

I am not sure what to say about Hogan and Kodjia I am yet the see to lad of last season before his injury......so based on that little lot.....so that position was a weakness for me.

If its right to blame Steve Bruce for that....I am blaming him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

How, just how can anyone in their right mind defend this manager? He's had a huge budget, one of the most expensive squads in championship history, a preseason, 4 transfer windows and he has failed to get us promoted. 'we were a game away from the pl' bla bla bla. With what he had we should have been automatically promoted given the resources we had. I think some of us are in such a state about our club that we're accepting  2nd best. NO, we are Aston Villa football club. This manager is small time, the way he spoke you'd think it was an achievement that we reached the playoffs.He's potentially scuppered our best chance to go up and also our   future financially. Those blaming the  players - nonsense. The manager is responsible,   this is  on Bruce with his safety first tactics. Keeping him on next year would be such a lack of ambition and would show up the board as being small time. We need someone else to come in to work with a new squad and small budget 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

How, just how can anyone in their right mind defend this manager? He's had a huge budget, one of the most expensive squads in championship history, a preseason, 4 transfer windows and he has failed to get us promoted. 'we were a game away from the pl' bla bla bla. With what he had we should have been automatically promoted given the resources we had. I think some of us are in such a state about our club that we're accepting  2nd best. NO, we are Aston Villa football club. This manager is small time, the way he spoke you'd think it was an achievement that we reached the playoffs.He's potentially scuppered our best chance to go up and also our   future financially. Those blaming the  players - nonsense. The manager is responsible,   this is  on Bruce with his safety first tactics. Keeping him on next year would be such a lack of ambition and would show up the board as being small time. We need someone else to come in to work with a new squad and small budget 

who? Houdini or David Blane....I hear Dynamo is available.

Â