Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, cudoz said:

Yes, but there's a slight difference between being a coach on the sidelines and being on the pitch covering up the issues.

Well that's true.

Weirdly we had one of the best defences in the league the year before Terry signed as well.

Pure luck I guess ;) 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that's true.

Weirdly we had one of the best defences in the league the year before Terry signed as well.

Pure luck I guess ;) 

Weirdly involving Tommy Elphick and Nathan Baker.

What happened to them two under Bruce?..

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that's true.

Pure luck I guess ;) 

Ah yes.  The season where we conceded fewer goals than we scored because we wouldn't cross the halfway line after Bruce was appointed.

Back on topic.  I wish him the best as Wednesday, but I think he had taken us as far as he could and I'm not entirely sure his appointment will be a success. 

31 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Elphick was shit and got loaned out and Baker got sold to pay for one of the premier league's best ever defenders to play (very well) for us for a season.

What's your point? :) 

Are we fondly looking back to the 16/17 season when Bruce had a almost identical defensive (and attacking) record as RDM now?

36 shipped in 35 games for Bruce (1,03)  vs 12 in 11 shipped for under RDM (1,09 per game)

And a scoring record of 37 in 35 (1,06 per game) vs 10 in 11 for RDM (0,91 per game)

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Are we fondly looking back to the 16/17 season when Bruce had a almost identical defensive (and attacking) record as RDM now?

I don't think anyone was doing that.

8 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Time for Steve to get busy and buy back some of the rubbish he bought here. 

well none of the managers before him bought their rubbish back, so I am not holding my breath.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Both had errors in them( they all do, question is - how many and do they lead to goals)....probably still have

I guess Hull and Bristol city have lower levels of expectation than us.

Edited by TRO

None of them were gainfully employed - because of how poor they were - within a sufficiently short time period or with a decent  enough budget to do so.

I doubt Bruce will resist the temptation to go with his old formula and I’m sure that he’ll be knocking on an open door. Even if he just takes one or two off us it will help free up some space/Budget.

4 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

None of them were gainfully employed - because of how poor they were - within a sufficiently short time period or with a decent  enough budget to do so.

I doubt Bruce will resist the temptation to go with his old formula and I’m sure that he’ll be knocking on an open door. Even if he just takes one or two off us it will help free up some space/Budget.

Richards and McCormack?

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Elphick was shit and got loaned out and Baker got sold to pay for one of the premier league's best ever defenders to play (very well) for us for a season.

What's your point? :) 

My point was referring to your original point about us having a solid defence the season before.  That's who the players were.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

My point was referring to your original point about us having a solid defence the season before.  That's who the players were.

I still don’t see your point. 

My point was that Bruce was good at setting up a defence. And it wasn’t just down to having john Terry. 

The season before we had Terry our defence was still good. Which is evidence for that. 

If Elphick and Baker are crap, which is what I think you’re getting at, then it just reinforces my point. He made crap defenders defend well. 

Edited by Stevo985

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I still don’t see your point. 

My point was that Bruce was good at setting up a defence. And it wasn’t just down to having john Terry. 

The season before we had Terry our defence was still good. Which is evidence for that. 

If Elphick and Baker are crap, which is what I think you’re getting at, then it just reinforces my point. He made crap defenders defend well. 

No, I thought Baker and Elphick were decent defenders, especially at this level which is the point I am making that if the defence was so good at the time you refer too (the season before Terry), why were they sold/bombed out in the first place?

If you say it was to make way for Terry & Chester then I find that amusing in itself, since our defence was a shambles and Elphick has now returned alongside Chester. I think It was a case of one step forward, two steps backward on that one.

Fwiw, for an ex-Centre Back he is pretty appauling when it comes to defence, combined with Calderwood as a coach, there was just no excuses imo.

Look at the mess he made of this seasons defence, For example; He offered a contract to Alan Hutton!   :mellow:

Edited by AvfcRigo82

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No, I thought Baker and Elphick were decent defenders, especially at this level which is the point I am making that if the defence was so good at the time you refer too (the season before Terry), why were they sold/bombed out in the first place?

If you say it was to make way for Terry & Chester then I find that amusing in itself, since our defence was a shambles and Elphick has now returned alongside Chester. I think It was a case of one step forward, two steps backward on that one.

Fwiw, for an ex-Centre Back he is pretty appauling when it comes to defence, combined with Calderwood as a coach, there was just no excuses imo.

Look at the mess he made of this seasons defence, For example; He offered a contract to Alan Hutton!   :mellow:

I honestly don’t know what you’re on about so I’ll leave you to it :) 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I honestly don’t know what you’re on about so I’ll leave you to it :) 

You can do better than that Stevo lad.

You know exactly what I am on about regards our defence.

Re-read your posts then read mine. It might make sense then.  ;):thumb:

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don’t. 

I think you’re trying to remove any credit for Bruce regarding our good defence and saying it’s just because we had good players. 

if So then it’s bollocks, IMO of course. If not then I’m clueless. 

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You are genuinely wasting your time.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t. 

I think you’re trying to remove any credit for Bruce regarding our good defence and saying it’s just because we had good players. 

if So then it’s bollocks, IMO of course. If not then I’m clueless. 

Despite that the defence starting well bruce made it worse each year. This season by far the worst I've seen in so long.

• Like 1

Â