Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Johnson has built his own team. Didn't happen over night. If you think he would come in and make us play the same way straight away then you will be disappointed. 

You want Villa to play a certain way and get promoted (like we all do) then be prepared to spend a lot more years in the league. Because it won't happen this year I assure you. We either go up this year the Bruce way or we do not go up at all. 

The sooner you accept that the better.

But why should we just accept it? This is Aston Villa for goodness sake - if Norwich, Bournemouth, Saints, Brighton, Huddersfield, Watford can all do it the right way - then surely we should be able also? For me it’s simple we picked the wrong guy and now we have to endure his style of play.

But should we have to like it? No way and I feel that fans are well within their rights to make their views know

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Johnson has built his own team. Didn't happen over night. If you think he would come in and make us play the same way straight away then you will be disappointed. 

You want Villa to play a certain way and get promoted (like we all do) then be prepared to spend a lot more years in the league. Because it won't happen this year I assure you. We either go up this year the Bruce way or we do not go up at all. 

The sooner you accept that the better.

IMHO

I think you have been numbed into a very low sense of expenctancy and are prepared to accept the feeble excuses for such a diabolical style of football and the positions we have been in regarding the CH table this season (not mentioning 13th last season - when eventhough the target was initially Automatic promotion, then Playoffs as an accepted neccessary evil, to a 10th position to which we also failed)

The re-setting of the targets in a regressing trend is, for me, personally, unacceptable considering the level of spending and players we have in our squad.

Bruce‘s Sunderland tenure article anyone?

its happening all over again, here.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dave J said:

But why should we just accept it? This is Aston Villa for goodness sake - if Norwich, Bournemouth, Saints, Brighton, Huddersfield, Watford can all do it the right way - then surely we should be able also? For me it’s simple we picked the wrong guy and now we have to endure his style of play.

But should we have to like it? No way and I feel that fans are well within their rights to make their views know

Of course they should make their views known. It is unacceptable. But there is f**k you can do about it no matter how much you moan.  

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Dude Wolves players piss on ours and their manager lead a team to top 4 of probably the strongest league in Europe. The only point your post just made is how far we have fallen behind. 

may I remind you they are not called

„Dude Wolves“

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Of course they should make their views known. It is unacceptable. But there is f**k you can do about it no matter how much you moan.  

But Villa fans are fickle, we have to have a good old moan

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

IMHO

I think you have been numbed into a very low sense of expenctancy and are prepared to accept the feeble excuses for such a diabolical style of football and the positions we have been in regarding the CH table this season (not mentioning 13th last season - when eventhough the target was initially Automatic promotion, then Playoffs as an accepted neccessary evil, to a 10th position to which we also failed)

The re-setting of the targets in a regressing trend is, for me, personally, unacceptable considering the level of spending and players we have in our squad.

Bruce‘s Sunderland tenure article anyone?

its happening all over again, here.

IMHO. I have accepted that the club has made very bad decisions in both recruitment of manager and players and are now in a situation where it either turns out to be enough to get us promoted this season or it turns in to a complete restructuring from scratch. 

As a fan I now have two choices. Moan about it 247 until it turns to complete and utter failure and we start again. 

Or actually try and believe it might work out ok until it doesn't.

I prefer the later until 100% proven otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I don't think us being Aston villa makes much of a difference in the way things work in this league. We might be Aston Villa but we're Aston Villa in the championship with a Championship level squad. The teams you mention doing it the 'right' way all spent several seasons in the lower leagues. Saints in particular going all the way down before they climbed back up. The fact is that while many people don't like the way we play, it's either going up that way or not at all. Because none of the managers available to us will perform miracles or implement a style of football in half a season. 

2 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I don't think us being Aston villa makes much of a difference in the way things work in this league. We might be Aston Villa but we're Aston Villa in the championship with a Championship level squad. The teams you mention doing it the 'right' way all spent several seasons in the lower leagues. Saints in particular going all the way down before they climbed back up. The fact is that while many people don't like the way we play, it's either going up that way or not at all.  

Even though I find that reality hard to accept, Money, DrT‘s Targets & ambitions.......etc

2 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Because none of the managers available to us will perform miracles or implement a style of football in half a season. 

This is where I‘m inclined to disagree.

I believe a manager (regardless of record or reputation) with a more offensive, posession based approach would feel like a huge relief for a number of the players in our squad.

I can only imagine that the likes of

Elmo, Snod, Onomah, Lansbury, Hourihane Grealish, Adomah, Green, Hogan, Davis & Kodjia

would revel in an attacking game plan. We could even afford to have BOTH Jedi & Whelan as DM‘s letting the front 4 loose on the opposition.

• Like 1

Maybe an extreme example but watching Bristol City tonight and how committed and on the front foot they were against a very strong Man. United team from the first minute. They were sent on in that manner from their manager.

I can only think how SB would approach a similar game...the problem is we play a restricted game against mid table teams at this level.

We need to wise up as we might have to beat Bristol over two legs in the play offs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

How can you be sure we would/will go up with Bruce?

I'm not sure at all. I just think getting a new manager in and changing the way we play could take time. Time we do not have. Whereas with Bruce we have slightly found a way to win enough games to keep in contention so I'm praying it will be enough. 

If we sack him now and gamble on another manager I'd be more than upbeat about it. But we all know that isn't going to happen no matter how often we repeat posts about how shit Bruce is.

On that note I've spent far too much to time repeating the same thing on this thread. So I'll leave that to you guys until the club does something to change it.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Even though I find that reality hard to accept, Money, DrT‘s Targets & ambitions.......etc

This is where I‘m inclined to disagree.

I believe a manager (regardless of record or reputation) with a more offensive, posession based approach would feel like a huge relief for a number of the players in our squad.

I can only imagine that the likes of

Elmo, Snod, Onomah, Lansbury, Hourihane Grealish, Adomah, Green, Hogan, Davis & Kodjia

would revel in an attacking game plan. We could even afford to have BOTH Jedi & Whelan as DM‘s letting the front 4 loose on the opposition.

I do agree with you that those players could and should be playing with a more attacking mindset. My point is that you'd be asking too much of any manager to change much in terms of a style and make it successful in half a season. If you want to change Bruce now then I get it, but you're then looking at promotion more than likely next season. I do think that Bruce could get us up, but I do admit it wouldn't be pretty. However if we don't go up then I know he has to go. I also think that if we do go up, I wouldn't be apposed to bringing in a new manager straight away. It's harsh but it's been done before.

14 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I do agree with you that those players could and should be playing with a more attacking mindset. My point is that you'd be asking too much of any manager to change much in terms of a style and make it successful in half a season. If you want to change Bruce now then I get it, but you're then looking at promotion more than likely next season. I do think that Bruce could get us up, but I do admit it wouldn't be pretty. However if we don't go up then I know he has to go. I also think that if we do go up, I wouldn't be apposed to bringing in a new manager straight away. It's harsh but it's been done before.

I don't think it is harsh, I think that is what has been planned all along and Bruce is fully aware of it, and on board with it. When he was appointed everyone expected it to be ugly but effective. The fact that it hasn't been so effective is the fly in the ointment, but I think the expectation was to be going up and rebuilding with new players and a new manager, so having to put up with ugly football as a step in the process wasn't an issue.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe an extreme example but watching Bristol City tonight and how committed and on the front foot they were against a very strong Man. United team from the first minute. They were sent on in that manner from their manager.

I can only think how SB would approach a similar game...the problem is we play a restricted game against mid table teams at this level.

We need to wise up as we might have to beat Bristol over two legs in the play offs.

You know he scraped relegation. Wagner did too.  It takes time for even good managers to get their ideas across. Sometimes it can get worse before it gets better. 

By all means the club can sack Bruce now and in the long term it could really benefit us. But if people think it will improve our chances this season then they would probably be disappointed.  

Â