Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

What makes you say this ? I only ask because I've seen no lack of effort whatsoever, and that's usually the first sign.

I agree, the result today wasn't down to lack of effort.  Shocking formation, zero tactics and one player letting the club down come way higher

Just now, terrytini said:

It's not complicated. Next year, as every year, there will be about 10 Clubs capable of Promotion, of which we will be one. It's a sport, you can't guarantee anything, you can't justifiably ' expect ' anything.....You hope, you aspire. You compete.

There will be fans of other Clubs - three from the Premier League and about 6 that finish above us this year, who will consider they should be up there too.

Of course there are no guarantees but the expectation at this club with the amount of cash spent and the players we gave bought you expect promotion or certainly I would do .

I've followed the club for  40 years so am well aware of the disappointments in football - expectation is no guarantee of anything but failure to get promotion next season would be totally unacceptable for this club considering what  Bruce has at his disposal. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Please tell me what you saw today that would give any indication that he will obtain the anywhere near enough points?

We have been awful even during our run of wins which were more down to Kodja goals than any kind of system. We are too slow to play counter attacking, not strong enough to play route1, and not clever enough to play possession based football. Hogan looks a shadow of the player he was as does Hourihane and Lansbury and the fact he rates Johnstone worries me immensely.

His first sub today was to bring Hutton on and we were losing, just about sums him up I am afraid.

Well it's not about one day that's part of the problem these days.

I've seen enough in his whole tenure to think gambling would be daft.

I hope and expect he and the Board are already planning next season's transactions, daft to scrap that and wait and see who we get in June. I'm not a fan of keeping someone for its own sake but keeping someone would be a big plus, so he'd have to have messed up spectacularly to get rid.

And today ? 4\5 first choice players out, 10 men for over an hour away at a free flowing side, with lots to play for, second game in 48 hours with nothing to play for yet held them and fought back to 1_1, good character shown. Quite a bit really.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Zola has quit so they will probably stay up now :(

Well as football fans we all know how this works, manager with 2 wins walks, team wins next game with no manager and avoids relegation as well as humilating their nearest rivals..........

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

I hope the people saying "he just needs a preseason and everything will be fine" are right because we simply have to get promoted next season or we will end up championship fodder for the next 4 - 5 years when the money dries up.

4 -5 years could be a consertive estimate, history has shown that when the "bigger clubs" go down, if they don't get back up within a season or two it becomes very, very difficult. 

Our running costs are still top ten PL costs, if we don't go up next season we are ****

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well it's not about one day that's part of the problem these days.

I've seen enough in his whole tenure to think gambling would be daft.

I hope and expect he and the Board are already planning next season's transactions, daft to scrap that and wait and see who we get in June. I'm not a fan of keeping someone for its own sake but keeping someone would be a big plus, so he'd have to have messed up spectacularly to get rid.

And today ? 4\5 first choice players out, 10 men for over an hour away at a free flowing side, with lots to play for, second game in 48 hours with nothing to play for yet held them and fought back to 1_1, good character shown. Quite a bit really.

Strange as I haven't seen a single thing really I could say yes I see what he is trying to do. Nothing, even his signings look like he was buying good players with no idea how he would intergrate them, no idea of a style he wants us to play too.

Today he made changes that I can only assume was to keep our midfielders fresh for next Sunday but then he played Jedinak for the full game so even that doesn't add up. The equaliser was down to a moment of brilliance from Jack and not some game changing masterstroke from the manager.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Of course there are no guarantees but the expectation at this club with the amount of cash spent and the players we gave bought you expect promotion or certainly I would do .

Because we have spent so long in the PL where even average players are sold for millions, i think the amount of money we have spent relative to our competition is lost on some people. 

Our front 2 today probably cost more than 90% of the squads in the league, Jonathan Kodjia was probably more expensive than the Fulham team that just played us off the park. Now they say you can't buy success but most clubs in this league couldn't even dream of spending what we have. That level of backing demands results, if he doesn't get us promoted next season he will have failed, and will rightfully be sacked. 

Edited by av1

35 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Or get fired sunday evening if wyness and xia grow a pair

22 points from our last 11 games with only three defeats (2 away) and these against teams pushing strongly all season. Two of these defeats once our hopes had gone.

The Board would rightly be a laughing stock.

Looking like he is going to fail with a target he said we have to do. 

Not looking good for next season. The more i think about the more i believe sticking with him will cause long term damage. 

We have to go up next season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Strange as I haven't seen a single thing really I could say yes I see what he is trying to do. Nothing, even his signings look like he was buying good players with no idea how he would intergrate them, no idea of a style he wants us to play too.

Today he made changes that I can only assume was to keep our midfielders fresh for next Sunday but then he played Jedinak for the full game so even that doesn't add up. The equaliser was down to a moment of brilliance from Jack and not some game changing masterstroke from the manager.

Sorry your question was about today ? Which i addressed  in my last paragraph. Do you not think those are P!Us points from today ?

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

22 points from our last 11 games with only three defeats (2 away) and these against teams pushing strongly all season. Two of these defeats once our hopes had gone.

Less of a laughingstock of course if one took a broader view to include January and February.  Of if one looked at the actual quality of play for ANY of the matches you cite.  Or if one looked at the caliber of playing staff at his disposal. (as I think has been Eastie's point)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Still agree with this (just). I think he needs the summer to continue the sort out of the squad and fill the obvious gaps and impose some sort of playing style. 

Once next season starts there will be absolutely no place to hide and if we don't hit the ground running he will be gone very quickly as I doubt Dr Tony will want to countenance a third season in the Championship.

The trouble is we now have a reputation as a club of chopping and changing managers way too frequently. OK those changes may have been fully justified but that's not how the media see it with the likes of the BBC and their overtly anti Villa stance. In reality we have made some poor managerial appointments but also good ones on paper that have been destroyed by the club.

Unfortunately we as fans do not help either as we see Villa as being a much bigger club than we actually are these days and I am as guilty as the next man. Following years of mismanagement both on and off the field we are at the level we deserve, a bang average Championship side. Sad but true.

All in all not a great draw for any manager with Dr Tony needing to have his sunshine gun on its highest setting with an extra battery pack to attract the next and a decent manager.

I may be in the minority but when RDM was sacked I had ruled out promotion this season, I was surprised because I didn't expect Bruce to make the good start he did.

I did think after the Jan window shut we would get a better idea of the style he would have us playing................Nothing, today he changed the formation again, back to one that has previously not worked and certainly wasn't based on any method of stopping our opponents playing how they usually do.

I would like to use a better word but clueless will have to do.

What's his record in 2017 so far?

5 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Less of a laughingstock of course if one took a broader view to include January and February.  Of if one looked at the actual quality of play for ANY of the matches you cite.  Or if one looked at the caliber of playing staff at his disposal. (as I think has been Eastie's point)

We'd still be an absolute laughing stock. 

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We made 188 passes today, Fulham made 650 or so.... 

Better sides play possession football!!!

We will struggle next season if we do not start playing proper football soon.

This is getting a touch tedious if I'm honest.

Possession has f** all to do with who wins a football game.

I want us to dominate games as much as you. If I look at stats and see that we've created far more shots/shots on goal than our opposition, and see that the ball spent most of the time in their half, I would consider us to have dominated the game.

I couldn't give a flying f*** if we do that with 30% possession because they've spent 60 odd minutes passing the ball in their half between their back 4.

It's probably far more accurate to say better sides create more chances with the possession they have.

Edited by Godders

Sorry your question was about today ? Which i addressed  in my last paragraph. Do you not think those are P!Us points from today ?

Sorry I genuinely didn't see any plus points in your posts, saw a few mitigating circumstances listed putting it politely

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I agree. But if we fail to go up next year after spending another £30/40m in the summer, we'll be the laughing stock of the whole fottball league.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are we not at the moment?

We've been laughed at for years. 

Leicester were a laughing stock for getting rid of Ranieri. Who gives a shit how others view us as long as we're heading in the right direction. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Godders said:

This is getting a touch tedious if I'm honest.

Possession has f** all to do with who wins a football game.

I want us to dominate games as much as you. If I look at stats and see that we've created far more shots/shots on goal than our opposition, and see that the ball spent most of the time in their half, I would consider us to have dominated the game.

I couldn't give a flying f*** if we do that with 30% possession because they've spent 60 odd minutes passing the ball in their half between their back 4.

Do you disagree then that the better teams are more comfortable with the ball, use it better and ergo have better possession stats than we have garnered under SB

Â