The bells are ringing survey

Gary Thomas

Bring back the Bells Are Ringing  

60 members have voted

1. 1. I would like us to sing the Bells Are Ringing chant again?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I may have mocked other clubs doing stuff like this in the past, but honestly..I would be all for it now, or at least some kind of action.
Anything to create an atmosphere gets my vote.

We have 5 minutes decent noise at the start of a game, 20 minutes of silence, then Rudy might win a header so that chant will come out,then 30 minutes of silence, then Jack will do a bit of a dribble so that chant comes out, then 20 minutes of silence, then there will be a roar for a succession of corners and it's near enough home time.

It really does depress me sometimes. I wish we could make the ground as hostile and intimidating as possible,because when the ground gets behind the team...it's **** frightening.

This. Like, a million percent, this. Exactly what I've been trying to say. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Each to their own and all that but I would love to know the reasons why some don't want this sung again.

Likewise. We're not debating the merits of capital punishment here, what possible reason could there be to oppose singing a different song every now and then?

• Like 4

I don't know where these lyrics came from. I have seen them in a lot of places but undoubtedly when I was stood towards the rear of the left side near the middle the words were :

And Villa are roaring 

And Villa are scoring 

And Villa are Showing

We're the best in the land. 

To me it scans much better too. 

18 hours ago, SidSidSidSid said:

Yeah, would absolutely love to here this belted out in the Holte end again. Use to be the loudest song we had. Was it early '90s when it disappeared? ....and how DID that happen!? 

Anyway, definite yes from me! 

This. How did this die out? It was our biggest song,  how does it suffer a complete cessation. 

Our selection of songs is truly appalling both in general and for players. Even when a group get something going and it's quite good everyone else just stares at them like their some kind of weirdos for signing something other than Holte Enders in The Sky for the 15th time that half. 

Nice name by the way Sid. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AVFC44 said:

It will be beyond embarrassing if we have **** song sheets. We're not in church singing hymns, 99% of football chants can be picked up just from listening a few times.

If I turn up to my seat and there is a sheet of paper with songs on it I will walk straight back out the stadium.

You really won't do that....

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

They tried to reintroduce this a few years ago in the club programme. Then people complained that the club was pushing a anthem top down and it failed to catch on after a god awful pop version played before kick off.  We just need to accept we are a just a load rabble!

We're not at "the top"? I agree that this should be fan lead, no God awful pop versions. 

10 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

You really won't do that....

Why wouldn't I?

How pathetic does a club and their support have to become that the idea of a 'song sheet' is actually a sensible idea to some people.

We are already enough of a laughing stock after last season.

Just the thought of the Holte End full of people singing songs from a piece of paper is enough to make me cringe.

12 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

Why wouldn't I?

How pathetic does a club and their support have to become that the idea of a 'song sheet' is actually a sensible idea to some people.

Just the thought of the Holte End full of people singing songs from a piece of paper is enough to make me cringe.

I wasnt arguing with you about song sheets, but you wouldn't leave a match after you had paid for the the ticket and got into the ground. Really it was a bit of fun....

43 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

Why wouldn't I?

Calling fans trying to make a difference "pathetic" when all they're doing is floating ideas out there is below the belt man. IMO. 

I've thought about it myself and I think it's a bad idea too, you just don't have to be so aggressive about it?

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Calling fans trying to make a difference "pathetic" when all they're doing is floating ideas out there is below the belt man. IMO. 

I've thought about it myself and I think it's a bad idea too, you just don't have to be so aggressive about it?

No, this man is right. We should all just sit in silence...or in the DISGRACEFUL event of a piece of PAPER being on a seat, walk out in mass protest. I can sit through the Lerner years, I can watch Lescott take the piss, I can stand by and see my club being ripped apart in front of my very eyes...but pieces of paper on a seat. THAT'S JUST TOO **** FAR!

#ripupyourseatatanysignofasongsheet

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't mean to come across as aggressive and maybe pathetic was the wrong word.

If we have come to the point as a fan base where we think that song sheets are going to help create an atmosphere then we are going completely the wrong way.

Like I said before, 99% of football songs are catchy and easy to remember, but even songs like TBAR can be picked up after listening 2 or 3 times.

What will a song sheet achieve? If people want to sing then they will sing, it's not that people don't know the words.

From a personal point of view even after sitting through Lerner's ownership and manager like McLeish and Lambert there is always a tipping point and introducing a piece of paper with song lyrics on would be just as much of an indicator of how much of a shower we have become as anything else.

Disclaimer: I probably wouldn't walk out, but it is ridiculously cringeworthy to even think about it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

What will a song sheet achieve? If people want to sing then they will sing, it's not that people don't know the words.

Well, I mean, it literally is that people don't know the words. I would indeed sing this song at Villa Park. Until yesterday, I didn't know the words. 

How hard is this to grasp?

There is a video on YouTube of a crowd singing it on the steps of the Holte along with some other songs. It is dated about a few years back so not sure what happened to this attempt to introduce some of the older songs.

i will be honest, I am not sure if I have heard it before or not at the ground, I seemed to have a very vague recollection. When was the last time it was sung regularily?

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, I mean, it literally is that people don't know the words. I would indeed sing this song at Villa Park. Until yesterday, I didn't know the words. 

And you would need a song sheet to learn these words, really?

#ripupyourseatatanysignofasongsheet .  Made me LOL @rodders0223

1 hour ago, AVFC44 said:

99% of football songs are catchy and easy to remember, but even songs like TBAR can be picked up after listening 2 or 3 times.

It could be picked up IF it was sang more, but it's not so we have a classic chicken egg scenareo. With social media there shouldn't be a need for printed sheets anyway and I think a lot of supporters know TBAR, or a version of it and just talking about it makes people look up the words which all helps.

Looking at that survey (81%) and Twiter what is stopping us? There seems to be plenty, or enough, who want to bring this back so why don't we just sing it and it may catch on. I agree it must, and can only, come from the core support on the terraces who want to sing and support the team. We need those sections that start chants off to lead us and get this going!  Brigada 1874, the loud group in L2, anyone, it doesn't really matter as long as we join it.  Wouldn't it be great to hear just one loud passionate rendition of this where everybody joins - just as an experiment? I have old fond memories of this anthem and I'd bet many would be suprised how loud it sounds when sung properly.  Nothing against that video on the steps of the Holte - I know plenty who took part - but it will sound different when 10,000+  fans are blasting it out together!  If it doesn't take so what, we lose nothing, we have sung a Villa classic  to support our team. We need chants. It has to be worth a go doen't it?  Lets reclaim it.

Edited by Gary Thomas

23 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

And you would need a song sheet to learn these words, really?

Well, if I wasn't a member of VillaTalk - lots of Villa fans aren't! - or if I wasn't following one of a handful posters on Twitter - which lots of people don't! - then I wouldn't be aware of this idea would I? And since I don't know the lyrics to this song that hasn't been regularly sung for about 25 years, it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to assume that lots of other people don't. And since it's two verses long, and I have hearing problems and find it difficult to determine the words in chants from half a stadium away at the best of times, I doubt I'd pick up all the lyrics immediately. 

It obviously wouldn't work - your reaction is your reaction, and multiplied by 10,000 or whatever the scorn would be endlessly damaging. But the logic of having a sheet to know the words is there, and it's simple. You don't get to pretend that your visceral disgust at the idea is based on it being unreasonable. 

Â