The bells are ringing survey

Gary Thomas

Bring back the Bells Are Ringing  

60 members have voted

1. 1. I would like us to sing the Bells Are Ringing chant again?

• Yes
    • No

A couple of us (@dont_do_it_doug. and @alreadyexists) were discussing the ‘bells are ringing’ chant (below) and how it would be great to bring it back and make it OUR anthem again; or at least hear it sang more often.  This is part of our history and always sounded great when it was sung.  What do you think?  Yes or no?  Would you like to here this belted out on the terraces again?  Just vote or post a comment.  If there is enough appetite we can do something!!

The Bells are Ringing

The bells are ringing for the Claret and Blue.
The fans are singing for the Claret and Blue.
Everybody is Knowing, to the Villa they’re Going,
Where the Villa are Showing,
We’re the best in the land! BEST IN THE LAND!

We’re congregating for the Claret & Blue.
The Holte End’s waiting for the Claret & Blue.
Everybody is Knowing, to the Villa they’re Going.
Where the Villa are Showing
We’re the best in the land! BEST IN THE LAND!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I may have mocked other clubs doing stuff like this in the past, but honestly..I would be all for it now, or at least some kind of action.
Anything to create an atmosphere gets my vote.

We have 5 minutes decent noise at the start of a game, 20 minutes of silence, then Rudy might win a header so that chant will come out,then 30 minutes of silence, then Jack will do a bit of a dribble so that chant comes out, then 20 minutes of silence, then there will be a roar for a succession of corners and it's near enough home time.

It really does depress me sometimes. I wish we could make the ground as hostile and intimidating as possible,because when the ground gets behind the team...it's **** frightening.

Sums up how I feel.  Anything that helps us generate more atmosphere.  I think TBAR would work because it is so unique to us and it is a much longer chant, compared with our current crop. That in itself would generate much more noise and I am old enough to remember it being sung on the Holte when it was incredibly loud. I think a lot of us have forgotten how good it sounded - or they have never heard it sung properly - i.e. the whole ground or Holte.  If enough joined in and actually heard it I think it would catch on but as @dont_do_it_doug. says we would probably need the club and other groups to support it to even get to that point.  I love singing 'Yippi Aye Eh, Yippi Aye Oh' but it would be great to have a longer anthem to go with it. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

As long as we don't see any song sheets at VP then I'm all for it

What's your suggestion then bud? Because I've tried kicking it off a few times myself and gained very little traction. 

I have absolutely no issue with something like this being orchestrated. Nobody seemed to mind protest flyers, don't see the difference here except for the fact that we might be able to engage the club. 

The day after nobody gives a monkey's how it started. 

Gary, I'm happy to assist however I can. 

• Like 1

It will be beyond embarrassing if we have **** song sheets. We're not in church singing hymns, 99% of football chants can be picked up just from listening a few times.

If I turn up to my seat and there is a sheet of paper with songs on it I will walk straight back out the stadium.

Just now, AVFC44 said:

It will be beyond embarrassing if we have **** song sheets. We're not in church singing hymns, 99% of football chants can be picked up just from listening a few times.

If I turn up to my seat and there is a sheet of paper with songs on it I will walk straight back out the stadium.

It's not a song sheet, it's A song, important to our history, that not all younger fans know the words too. I'm 32 and I was in my mid 20's before I even knew it existed. 

If you're on social media though, jump on it.

As much as I'm not knocking your intentions, I would point out that this has been tried before (with the club's backing), and didn't really take off (yes I know the version recorded and played over the PA was awful). TBAR is one of my favourite Villa songs, but unfortunately it seems that younger fans just aren't that interested in learning and singing it. Short of getting 200 or so tickets together in the middle of the Holte, I'm not sure how you'd get it to take off. As has been pointed out, I don't think printing and distributing lyrics would work.

More that anything, I'd like to bring back the slow, long, and loud version of  Villa, Villa... (Amazing Grace). It's sung far too fast for my liking. I used to love it when the last Villa would go on forever, Villaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

. Short of getting 200 or so tickets together in the middle of the Holte, I'm not sure how you'd get it to take off. 

Nothing is that difficult mate as long as the desire is there from enough fans and I think it could well be for this. Fair play to the guys in this thread for starting this off. From small acorns grow big trees.

It may be easier to get the ball rolling at away games and then let it spread from there. It is a smaller area and almost all fans are up for a good sing at an away game.

• Like 3

Villa fans are -on the whole- a contrary bunch, and tend to reject anything that feels coerced. 

I generally associate that song -and ones like She Wore a Claret n Blue Ribbon with better times for the club, league title challenges, cup runs and so forth.  And usually sang away from Villa Park, rather than at home for some reason. 

I liked what that Brigada lot were trying to to in the Holte Lower (except the banners against Di Canio -keep it light) and it's a shame that seems to have fizzled out. 

Loathe as I am to criticize paying supporters, but the atmosphere against Brentford and Newcastle first half was eerie. With a few exceptions, derby games, European nights et.c, we have usually been the type of fans that need to be lifted by something on the pitch first.  But even when we had that against Brentford, the atmosphere died soon after. 

The last 20 minutes against Newcastle were better -on and off the pitch. 

• Like 1

Â