The VT "It's the weekend!" thread

Xela

23 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Tried the new steakhouse in Stafford last night, ridiculously close to my house and great steaks too. 

Today its meet up with my daughter and grandson for a coffee. 

Great to have a free weekend.

Worth me crossing the border into the dark side to try these steaks? 

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I wouldnt say its worth that to be honest. Its a steakhouse in a residential area which is weird, its good steaks but all the way from bandit country, probably not that good. 

A nice way of saying you just don’t want me anywhere near your house 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Wondering if @Shropshire Lad survived his night in Lichfield?! 

......just about :wacko:

It was really good cheers. Despite three mates dropping out on the morning, the remaining five hardcore embarked on a total of ten pubs/bars of varying styles and quality.

I’ll give my thoughts on some of the quality pubs in due course. 

Spoiler alert - The Scales won’t be featuring...

8FADBCE9-53C0-4C91-889B-CC8E41DE4F19.gif

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

......just about :wacko:

It was really good cheers. Despite three mates dropping out on the morning, the remaining five hardcore embarked on a total of ten pubs/bars of varying styles and quality.

I’ll give my thoughts on some of the quality pubs in due course. 

Spoiler alert - The Scales won’t be featuring...

8FADBCE9-53C0-4C91-889B-CC8E41DE4F19.gif

3 dropped out on the day?! What were their flimsy excuses? 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

3 dropped out on the day?! What were their flimsy excuses? 

The one mate, his fiancé’s grandad died mid week and he didn’t want to leave her (although she told me she told him attend anyway). He did at least give me a heads up a couple of days before that he might be a no show.

Another one is doing up his new house and had previously said he was ummimg and ahhing, but only confirmed he wasn’t attending when I asked if he was on his way. I assume the reason was the house.

The final one didn’t bother saying anything at all to me and only informed one of the group when he was asked what time he was heading up.  My guess for his reason is because he’s boring and he’s under the thumb. Both him and the house one we’re getting the last train back and they probably didn’t fancy it. He was particularly pro Lichfield when we were deciding on where to go. So his vote on any future drinking destinations is now null and void. 

No skin off my nose really, like I say it was really good. I’d rather go out drinking with fewer people who are up for a good time than in a larger group including people who would prefer not to be there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The one mate, his fiancé’s grandad died mid week and he didn’t want to leave her (although she told me she told him attend anyway). He did at least give me a heads up a couple of days before that he might be a no show.

Another one is doing up his new house and had previously said he was ummimg and ahhing, but only confirmed he wasn’t attending when I asked if he was on his way. I assume the reason was the house.

The final one didn’t bother saying anything at all to me and only informed one of the group when he was asked what time he was heading up.  My guess for his reason is because he’s boring and he’s under the thumb. Both him and the house one we’re getting the last train back and they probably didn’t fancy it. He was particularly pro Lichfield when we were deciding on where to go. So his vote on any future drinking destinations is now null and void. 

No skin off my nose really, like I say it was really good. I’d rather go out drinking with fewer people who are up for a good time than in a larger group including people who would prefer not to be there.

What you think of scales then? 

36 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What you think of scales then? 

£5 entry. A queue to get in. An actual queue to get into a venue for a beer. Haven’t had to do that in years. 

Very busy, fairly young crowd. Awful, awful music. The only song I recognised was “Freestyler” by Bomfunk MC’s. Very loud. Saw one nice looking, age appropriate woman but frankly I was too far gone to be on top of my game so I spared her any drunken advances.

Not my sort of venue, as you may have guessed. A bit rough and ready. My one mate was convinced it was going to kick off, but he’s a copper and I think he was being overly cautious. But it has a late license which I guess is also why the walkabout had a ridiculous queue as well.

Not the worst place I’ve ever been, but I wouldn’t rush back.

Yeah it is a bit rough and ready. I haven’t been out in Lichfield for a night out in a while, but scales was always great for a late drink and to try and get your end away. Not my scene nowadays though. There is a place in Rugeley called The Shrew. That’s our equivalent to scales, and I’ve not been in there for a few years. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Missus went on works do Friday, so I basically had to nurse her yesterday and have the kids. Got up early again today as it’s her lie in, plus I hate lie ins. Took the lad rugby this morning, just sorted the house out, and now I’m going for a few Sunday afternoon beers 🙂

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

In pub and some right characters in here. One bloke I know is eating dog biscuits. Another has walked in and asked for 5 bananas and a packet of crisps, and some other geezer has just walked in with a tommy cooper hat on. 

Just PM'd you about that CD. 

56 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

In pub and some right characters in here. One bloke I know is eating dog biscuits. Another has walked in and asked for 5 bananas and a packet of crisps, and some other geezer has just walked in with a tommy cooper hat on. 

Is it wise for you to be in the pub?

Today is the first day in about 10 days that I have felt ok. Had a really bad cold/flu last weekend and early part of the week and was stuck in bed most of it. 

Not done much to be fair, just enjoyed not being sick! 

Â