Nintendo Switch

Chindie

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Worst Direct I’ve ever seen. Farming. More farming. Some more farming. Even more farming. 

Rumour has it they delayed the BOTW2 announcement in order to get the farming gameplay up to scratch with all the other games being announced.

Nah but seriously, I thought it was a good direct. My highlights were the 3 Front Mission games, Kirby's Return to Dreamland (amazing game) and Octopath Traveler 2.

Also, Radiant Silvergun (the game that Ikaruga is a spiritual successor to) dropping today is awesome, I'm definitely getting that. Playing one of the best shoot-em-ups of all time on the go, yes please.

Just now, Keyblade said:

Completely forgot about Tales of Symphonia, the best RPG on the GameCube getting remastered (again)!

I’ve already got the ps3 double remaster otherwise I’d have got very excited about this.

• Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I’ve already got the ps3 double remaster otherwise I’d have got very excited about this.

I think I'll grab a copy of that myself as I haven't actually played the second game, but yeah agreed. With the Switch though, you always have to keep in mind the portability factor which is a big plus. 

I’m more than happy for pikmin fans but it’s a series I’ve just never been able to get into and I’m amazed it made it past 2 games.

Fire Emblem is another one, a series that just leaves me cold. 

But then I love Star Fox Adventures so what do I know lol

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Yeah it's funny how we bounce off certain games that everyone else loves. I really want to love Cadence of Hyrule but can't. Not tried Starfox adventures though, has it got its haters?

It was a GameCube Zelda knock off that was going to be called Dinosaur Planet but got the Star Fox stuff shoehorned into it late in the day. 

Star Fox fans hated it because it wasn’t a proper air combat star fox game, Zelda fans hated it as it was quite simple. Everyone else found it forgettable. I adore it. The locations are amazing, the graphics for the time were amazing, it’s fun and has buckets of charm. It’s a properly underrated game imo. But it never really found a proper audience.

• Like 1

The Goldeneye situation is bizarre. 

- Switch gets old graphics but online multiplayer. 

- Xbox gets 4K remaster but local player only. 

It also seems to be the case that you can’t purchase it at all as a separate game. It’s tied to Gamepass on Xbox and tied to the Expansion pack for Switch Online.

I hate gaming sometimes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

The Goldeneye situation is bizarre. 

- Switch gets old graphics but online multiplayer. 

- Xbox gets 4K remaster but local player only. 

It also seems to be the case that you can’t purchase it at all as a separate game. It’s tied to Gamepass on Xbox and tied to the Expansion pack for Switch Online.

I hate gaming sometimes. 

It's been more than 2 decades in most cases, and there's rarely a better alternative to just playing the original games on their ageing systems.

Modern ports/remasters always tend to have some issue. Only good ones I can think of are some of the early HD remasters on the PS3, usually in bundles like Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, the previously discussed Tales of Symphonia etc. But even then with things like Final Fantasy 10 HD they somehow made look worse with new ugly faces and stuff. It sucks. The problem is people keep buying, and worse, preordering these things so there isn't much effort needed to churn them out and turn a profit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's been more than 2 decades in most cases, and there's rarely a better alternative to just playing the original games on their ageing systems.

Modern ports/remasters always tend to have some issue. Only good ones I can think of are some of the early HD remasters on the PS3, usually in bundles like Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, the previously discussed Tales of Symphonia etc. But even then with things like Final Fantasy 10 HD they somehow made look worse with new ugly faces and stuff. It sucks. The problem is people keep buying, and worse, preordering these things so there isn't much effort needed to churn them out and turn a profit.

For me it’s more about preservation and access.

I don’t want either gamepass or switch online so I miss out on it. If there’s no physical then (like Scott Pilgrim) if it’s made unavailable then that’s it. It should be made to be purchasable outside of being ring fenced behind these services. 

Re: remasters etc…

Ive said it before but I want it to look as close to the original as possible but play smoothly and have a decent resolution so it looks ok on modern TV’s. Take the KotOR games on switch, they’re perfect for me, they look how I remember and I don’t need to hook up old aging consoles to a modern TV. Plus I can get physical versions that will always work regardless of digital availability. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

For me it’s more about preservation and access.

I don’t want either gamepass or switch online so I miss out on it. If there’s no physical then (like Scott Pilgrim) if it’s made unavailable then that’s it. It should be made to be purchasable outside of being ring fenced behind these services. 

Re: remasters etc…

Ive said it before but I want it to look as close to the original as possible but play smoothly and have a decent resolution so it looks ok on modern TV’s. Take the KotOR games on switch, they’re perfect for me, they look how I remember and I don’t need to hook up old aging consoles to a modern TV. Plus I can get physical versions that will always work regardless of digital availability. 

You've just convinced me to get the KotOR games, I think they're on sale right now. Always wanted to play them, just never had an Xbox system before 

Agreed re: preservation. I've come around to the idea that the best form of preservation (unfortunately) is archiving through ahem...unofficial means. Even our trusty physical discs will eventually rot, if the console it's meant to be played on doesn't kick the bucket beforehand. The internet is forever though. So for now my main concern is the accuracy of the modern renditions and they're pretty hit or miss.

• Like 1

Been thinking about picking up a Switch, just because I've been struggling to find anything on playstation recently.  Is the OLED version worth getting over the previous iteration? Apart from the screen, it's just an increase in storage as far as I can see.

How about games? Really enjoyed the Mario Kart games previous, enjoy platforming and like the look of BOTW. Any other standouts you guys can recommend?

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

Been thinking about picking up a Switch, just because I've been struggling to find anything on playstation recently.  Is the OLED version worth getting over the previous iteration? Apart from the screen, it's just an increase in storage as far as I can see.

How about games? Really enjoyed the Mario Kart games previous, enjoy platforming and like the look of BOTW. Any other standouts you guys can recommend?

If you don’t already own a switch then get the OLED. If you play handheld then OLED is a definite. If I didn’t already have a normal switch then I’d get the OLED but if you only play docked like me then it doesn’t matter. 

Get an OLED unless money is tight or you play 100% docked and can find a good deal on a basic switch. Even the lite for 100% handheld play is great for the price. 

But yeah, get an OLED. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2022 at 09:04, dubbs said:

If you enjoy platforming then definitely Mario Odyssey. Have you seen Mario 3d World? It's got a second shorter game included Bowsers Fury which is stunning

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Justin said:

If you enjoy platforming then definitely Mario Odyssey. Have you seen Mario 3d World? It's got a second shorter game included Bowsers Fury which is stunning

Thanks.  To be honest I've not done much research into games etc yet as it's just something in thinking about. Flip side is if I'm growing out of gaming then what's the point in spending 350+ ?  

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Thanks.  To be honest I've not done much research into games etc yet as it's just something in thinking about. Flip side is if I'm growing out of gaming then what's the point in spending 350+ ?  

BOTW is the best game of all time, so that should definitely be on your list.

And as above, Mario Odyssey is fantastic. You can also get Mario "3D Allstars".

Also both the Ori games ("Ori and the Blind forest" and "Ori and the Will of the Wisp") are absolutely incredible games and available on the Switch. Not traditional platformers, but I'd definitely put them in the platformer genre. Fantastic games

• Thanks 1

Â