Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

But they will as the current facilities will be upgraded and also crucially less fans will be using the same concourses taking a huge amount of pressure off them. 

It needs demolishing. I know you will come back at me with other points but like the lower tier is the original terracing with seats put on after the taylor report.

They are kicking the can down the road/doing what they did with the badge.

3 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It needs demolishing. I know you will come back at me with other points but like the lower tier is the original terracing with seats put on after the taylor report.

They are kicking the can down the road/doing what they did with the badge.

Yep it does no question  but is not going to be for a couple of years at least whilst we improve the overall matchday experience and maximise seat revenue. By creating more GA+ areas it will have an effect on the number of fans using the current concourses. It’s not ideal as I’d like nothing better than a brand new stand or stadium being a stadium geek. But it’s also a fantastic short term solution to raise revenue relatively cheaply and solve some of the issues with the Witton and North stand. The works they are carrying out are not robbing everyday fans of space like the terrace view did, though some will get displaced. 

Posted (edited)

You don't spend money on something you will be demolishing in 2 years time.

Clear indicators are that Heck wants the Chelsea strategy -Go for as much premium as you can in the exusting stadium - which is the wrong strategy for this club. As with his badge fairytales today in the marketing magazine, people linked to we already got the BS out of the way last December. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Why is it wrong in this day and age to maximise the revenues per seat ? Like it or not we’re a business who need to be as profitable as we possibly can. Seems stupid to spend well over £100mill right now on stand when we can spend a few mill and grow revenues. Supply and demand also plays a part. 

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just on this picture, I reckon the temporary wooden plywood things at the top of the scaffolding might be an entrance - but I can't quite figure out where they link to. It's not the corridor from the Doug Ellis boxes, as I think that's inside the corrugated grey bit that links it to the North Stand  - is it the Upper Ellis Concourse? I guess it's possible there could be a requirement for an additional fire exit with the increased number of hospitality places I suppose. Any thoughts?

442492215_10232531729659456_4361015222017851693_n.jpg

I think if it was going to be a permanent entrance/exit they'd need to apply for planning permission (as they have done with the changes to the shop) - so this must be temporary to enable the improvement work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andycv said:

I think if it was going to be a permanent entrance/exit they'd need to apply for planning permission (as they have done with the changes to the shop) - so this must be temporary to enable the improvement work?

Yep, I think both you and @thabucks are right on this one - it's most likely a way to get stuff in and out as they do the construction work on the boxes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Why is it wrong in this day and age to maximise the revenues per seat ?

Ew.

Asking the question as a fan is grim.

• Like 2

It is difficult to assess the proposals until we see something about the overall plan.  I am really hoping that the Fan Advisory Board will give the overarching approach and the detail, and the club will post the information soon after.

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ew.

It’s the financial rules dictated but the governing bodies which means clubs like ours have to rinse every penny… It’s not my opinion it’s just facts of modern football and it is grim that we are just consumers of a product and will be treated likewise 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ew.

Not as grim as saying Ew though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Why is it wrong in this day and age to maximise the revenues per seat ? 

In isolation, I have no problem. But when it means that long-standing season-ticket holders, who have sat through years of crap football under the lambert, MacLeish, garde and Bruce years  etc. when there were loads of empty seats around the ground, are suddenly considered surplus to requirements and kicked out their seats, then I have a big problem with it

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

In isolation, I have no problem. But when it means that long-standing season-ticket holders, who have sat through years of crap football under the lambert, MacLeish, garde and Bruce years  etc. when there were loads of empty seats around the ground, are suddenly considered surplus to requirements and kicked out their seats, then I have a big problem with it

It’s not like every seat though will be turned to GA+ but like it or not a certain amount will have to in order for us to compete financially. Loyal fans will be hit which is unfair but that’s modern football economics. Every revenue streams needs to be maximised. Every seat and fan needs to bring in more money. I’d put in place a tiered system whereby loyal fans don’t pay the same as a brand new fan when it comes to year on year increases but that wouldn’t work sadly. Anyhow this is for another thread (sorry mods) 

Edited by thabucks

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s not like every seat though will be turned to GA+ but like it or not a certain amount will have to in order for us to compete financially. Loyal fans will be hit which is unfair but that’s modern football economics.

Indeed and it's all about balance in making that successful.

This summers works will mostly likely mean that members will find the number of seats available to them on any given matchday will reduce from 9000+ to around 7,500, which might be mitigated by the club allowing season ticket numbers to fall slightly through non-renewal. Members usually take around that number on matchdays, and leave a thousand or so for general sale and in terms of the single member who watches games alone there will most likely be no real effect - it might make it a little more difficult for members who want to sit in groups to find spaces, but I don't think it'll be too dramatic.

What it will mean is that there will be very little available on general sale next season - the membership will most likely hoover up all of the outstanding seats - and it'll be interesting to see if that creates a supply/demand driver where more people buy memberships, which slightly perversely will make it more difficult for memberships to guarantee seats. In doing so, that could create a financial opportunity for the club to introduce tiered memberships which could make memberships for those that are very used to attending a lot of games (especially those that want to sit together) quite a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

There should definitely be some sort of loyalty bonus for people who kept their ticket through the years of shit, even if only 10% or something. Then if they ever didn't renew it goes up to full whack 

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

There should definitely be some sort of loyalty bonus for people who kept their ticket through the years of shit, even if only 10% or something. Then if they ever didn't renew it goes up to full whack 

I said something very similar recently and got shot down for it. But yes, I agree.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Cannot see a reduction but maybe a brand new first time season ticket holder pays say 5% premium over a long standing season ticket holder. I think clubs like the guaranteed money that season tickets bring in but also the issue is that’s a seat sold at a reduced price. I think any expansion seating will be sold match to match driving the value up. 

Edited by thabucks

Work is clearly already underway at villa park.

Would it hurt the club to actually update us with what they are changing/upgrading within the stadium.

I think it would be positive for fans to be told what changes are happening now that we have no football to keep us entertained.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Villa Gaffa said:

Would it hurt the club to actually update us with what they are changing/upgrading within the stadium.

Probably not as much as it hurts some fans to have patience and knowing that they will CLEARLY address and announce it at some point when the time is right?

• Like 1

Â