Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm sure they're just being deliberately obstinate on this for shits and giggles. 

Probably have all the empty seats in place and send photos of them to all the people on the waiting list. 

Fair enough. No need to take the piss.

19 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Surely can't take 2 years to build. How long did it take to build the Trinity?

I would guess stand construction is a lot more complex nowadays, all of the corporate stuff would take a lot of time plus a lot of configuration in the Trinity. I think the Trinity was done on the cheap and Lerner redid all of the corporate stuff within a decade of its completion.

5 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Doubtful, and I doubt anyone will give it up next year unless they absolutely have to financially.

At least the ticket office will have a nice easy two years before shit gets real. 

There will always be reasons for STs not being renewed - death, ill health, finance, change of family circumstances and moving away from the area, among many.

It wouldn't surprise me if around one thousand of the thirty thousand sold are given up, year after year. Indeed it was unofficially 'leaked' this summer, probably to help justify the high price increases, that 'under' one thousand hadn't renewed. That doesn't rule out it being very close to one thousand though.

With that in mind, the club could reduce the available season tickets by that number, especially as they'll need to reseat a few thousand North Stand STs.

5 hours ago, brommy said:

From a photo of the North Stand, it appears that there are two levels, each with 20 boxes. As each box tends to seat around 8 people, I'm assuming the hospitality of the current stand is approximately 2 x 20 x 8 = 320.

Think it used to be 19 as one of them was 2 levels. However I believe they ripped all of this out when they did the gas lounge?

Also to confirm is the current club shop and offices going, with just the academy staying?

I can't see them doing Villa Live plans now. Keeping the academy/warehouse will emphasis the brick element of Villa Park.  Overall looks ok and if that is needed  for a new north stand then so be it.

• Like 1

I don't understand that we will be able to reach a capacity of 60,000. On average, we must then have 15,000 in each stand.

Holte End takes 13,500. Could perhaps be expanded to 15,000 by building out the corner towards TR.

Trinity has probably reached max level with almost 14,000 after the redevelopment.

The new North Stand will have 13,500. The new end stand at Liverpool will hold 15,800. We should do the same, our pitch is even bigger than Anfield.

A possible new Witton Lane stand must then take at least 17,500 for us to reach 60,000, and that is the side we have the least space to build on. Nor do I want a grandstand that is much larger than the other three. 

By the sounds of it I better go to as many games as I can next season as when this does start with the reduced capacity it’s going to be a free for all for members to get tickets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa82 said:

I don't understand that we will be able to reach a capacity of 60,000. On average, we must then have 15,000 in each stand.

Holte End takes 13,500. Could perhaps be expanded to 15,000 by building out the corner towards TR.

Trinity has probably reached max level with almost 14,000 after the redevelopment.

The new North Stand will have 13,500. The new end stand at Liverpool will hold 15,800. We should do the same, our pitch is even bigger than Anfield.

A possible new Witton Lane stand must then take at least 17,500 for us to reach 60,000, and that is the side we have the least space to build on. Nor do I want a grandstand that is much larger than the other three. 

60k is currently unlikely to happen, in my opinion. If it were to happen at the current site and assuming the new North Stand will remain the same 13074 capacity, I think it would require several very significant things to happen.

Demolishion of the houses on the west sides of McGregor Close and Holte Road. Diversion of Witton Lane to the position where the houses have been demolished or actually along McGregor Close and Holte Road.

Building a new stand to occupy the space currently taken by Witton Lane and the small park alongside it.

Diverting Trinity Road approximately 15m towards,(through) the playground and tree area at bottom of the slope leading up to Aston Hall.

Extending the currently much 'clipped' sides of both Trinity Road and Holte End stands so they properly meet where the Trinity Road currently is.

Final capacities, totalling 60074

North 13074 (unchanged)

Totally new Witton 16000

Expanded Trinity 16000 (up 2235)

Expanded Holte 15000 (up 1439).

It's physically possible without increasing the approved capacity for the new North and without an imbalanced look to the size of the stands, but there's too many reasons (primarily housing residents and the protection of Aston Hall ground and trees) and expense why a 60k Villa Park is unlikely.

If we can buy up houses behind Witton Lane the way to get to 60K is to drop the pitch a few feet and move it across to the new stand.   That way you can add extra seating to 3 other stands too with some re profile of the lower tiers.

• Like 1

What about the often quoted but very vague, phase two of this operation? If this is going to take 2 years it will be tight to add any additional capacity increase before the euros. The bid document quoted a random Villa Park capacity of 52 odd thousand, whereas the new North Stand will only get us over 50. I would be interested to know how the club will magic up an additional couple of thousand seats by just reconfiguration and jiggery-pokery alone.

18 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's possible Heck has drawn the brakes on this because he thinks an entirely new stadium is the way forward.

Building the new North Stand and redeveloping the existing academy building will still cost most of the anticipated £100m budget (factoring not building Villa Live but also the large increase in construction costs and the academy redevelopment). I'm not sure why Heck would agree to announce the project commencement date of 1st July 2024 if he didn't intend for the expansion to proceed. Also, surely he wouldn't agree to spend circa £100m replacing one stand and extensively updating the hospitality in another, if he thought we should soon build another stadium.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, brommy said:

Building the new North Stand and redeveloping the existing academy building will still cost most of the anticipated £100m budget (factoring not building Villa Live but also the large increase in construction costs and the academy redevelopment). I'm not sure why Heck would agree to announce the project commencement date of 1st July 2024 if he didn't intend for the expansion to proceed. Also, surely he wouldn't agree to spend circa £100m replacing one stand and extensively updating the hospitality in another, if he thought we should soon build another stadium.

Ah, didn't know he said that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

It's possible Heck has drawn the brakes on this because he thinks an entirely new stadium is the way forward.

There's literally a big consultation going on stating the stand itself is going ahead and starting next summer. Why are people continuing with this ridiculous notion. 

The new sports bar will be located where the North Stand merges with the Trinity Road Stand. The club plans for it to sit above the tunnel, where supporters can look down on players and get a sneak peak of preparations for the match. On a matchday, it will be used as a hospitality experience, but it will remain open to the public to be used as a sports bar a other times of the week. 

Always thought it was odd not to include a tunnel club hospitality option in the original proposals, Heck’s influence ? 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/villa-park-redevelopment-new-aston-27272801

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Always thought it was odd not to include a tunnel club hospitality option in the original proposals, Heck’s influence ? 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/villa-park-redevelopment-new-aston-27272801

There is also a little bit of an explanation in that article about the reason the North Stand development is going to take a while longer to build:-

North Stand Redevelopment details from Birmingham Mail

"Prior to the stand being demolished, up to seven months of preparation is needed to divert new drains, high voltage electrics and matchday safety systems, while hundreds of cables will also need to be replaced for broadcasting. It’s a huge undertaking before Villa can even begin building a completely new stand.

Knocking the stand down is viewed as the most efficient way to deliver a new North Stand, instead of building it behind the current structure, like other clubs have done across England in recent years. Building a new stand behind the current North Stand would prevent construction workers from accessing key areas of the build."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â