07/08 v 06/07 Comparison - After week 38 (Season over)

BOF

Well beating Everton, Fulham, Chelsea and drawing away to Spurs and newcastle represents improved results from last season so a points increase of 8 points. So far the only games we've done worse in are Man City away (-3) and losing to Liverpool (-1) so we have a points increase of 4 points.

Last season of course, we failed to win a prem game from November 11th to January 19th and I would certainly not expect the same thing to happen again.

Still if it keeps you happy, so be it.

Hardly major progress either

Au contraire mon ami. The third table in my post shows results against the same opposition. We are 4pts better off against the same opposition this time around and we've had quite a difficult schedule up to now. That suggest the easier games are to come - and if we look at the next few games that is borne out. I'd say we're doing quite a bit better.

I think its important to recognise that, whilst we have played more home games, we have also played the majority of the teams in the top two tiers i.e. top 4/5 plus "our mini league", excepting Arsenal, Blackburn and Pompey. In theory, the run up to Christmas should pitch us up against teams where an average of 2+ points per game could be achievable - Bolton, Derby, Blues next up with Sunderland, Boro, Wigan & Reading also to come.

I think its important to recognise that, whilst we have played more home games, we have also played the majority of the teams in the top two tiers i.e. top 4/5 plus "our mini league", excepting Arsenal, Blackburn and Pompey. In theory, the run up to Christmas should pitch us up against teams where an average of 2+ points per game could be achievable - Bolton, Derby, Blues next up with Sunderland, Boro, Wigan & Reading also to come.
Reverse that thinking we have to play all of the top 4 away. The run up until Xmas should be easier granted but likewise we could so easily have a repeat of last year. The one thing about Villa is nothing is ever certain

14 points from 9 games- Now

15 points from 9 games- then.

Hardly a major crisis.

Depends which way you want to look at it Chris.

Me I agree with you and am looking to the positives, like for example the fact that we have more points this season against the same opposition as last.

That can't be it, Drat. I mean last season, the segregation was for the lower witton lane only - there were no away fans in the upper witton.

This season there is more segregation.

I reckon it must be something to do with either getting a few more people in the lower north, or maybe the boxes. It's a curiosity, though.

That can't be it, Drat. I mean last season, the segregation was for the lower witton lane only - there were no away fans in the upper witton.

I reckon it must be something to do with either getting a few more people in the lower north, or maybe the boxes. It's a curiosity, though.

if you look at the North Lower, it's packed now whereas when it had away fans in the first few rows of seats were always empty for security issues. Also the Trinity corner would sometimes have a few empty seats to segregate it from the away fans. Otherwise not sure, maybe something to ask the general.

Well Pete according to the person in the ticket office there were more season tickets on general sale. I am assuming that the increased numbers are from the restructure of the general seating so it must have come from there? Unless of course more people have to pay this year and less corporates?

Bolton draw added. Next week we're home to Derby. Week 11 last season saw us beat bogey side Blackburn 2-0 in Villa Park. I'll be expecting a similar result this weekend.

Derby result added. You don't need me to tell you who we've got up next. We visit a grotty little cross-town club.

Week 12 last season was a slightly unexpected 1-0 away win in Goodison Park.

We're matching last season's impressive start point for point so far, although we've a string of away fixtures up next which should sort out our position in the away league table somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of an update, BOF?

I can definitely say that we've been distinctly mediocre over the course of the past 38 league games:

Since away to Wigan (19 November, 2006), we've played 38 games, 20 of which were at VP. We've had twelve wins, twelve losses, and fourteen draws since then (50 points), and have both scored and conceded 46 goals in that period.

Considering how dire the run to start those 38 games was (at one point we had 4 points from 9 games, which is Derby-esque!), to even get back to level terms is an achievement...

small heath win recorded. Apologies for the delay. Next up is Boro away. Usually a wacky result and usually a good one for us for some reason. Last season was a 3-1 win for us. Week 13's fixture last season saw us come away from the JJB with a scoreless draw so there's a chance we could nudge ahead of last season's tally !