07/08 v 06/07 Comparison - After week 38 (Season over)

BOF

In theory, the points credited to defence could be apportioned amongst defenders, defensively oriented midfielders, and the keeper, which would give our first-choice guys in those positions around 2-3 points apiece, pushing Laursen and Mellberg into Young's ballpark.

I think football is too fluid to place any real system like that in as viable assessment. Thats not to say its a waste of time, because it is a fascinating read.

'nose thrashing recorded.

Next up for us is an extremely tense and important match in Goodison against Everton. Last season's corresponding fixture was a 1-0 victory for us and that would very much be the wish going into this fixture as it will likely go a long way towards deciding who ends up in 5th place. Rather paradoxically, losing this fixture would be preferable to drawing it because we need one of Villa or Everton to come 5th if we are to make Europe. A draw would hamper both teams letting Pompey back into the race for 5th and we simply can't afford to let that happen. So I hope it's all or bust for Villa going into this fixture. A draw would be very very bad.

Week 36 last season was a 2-0 away victory over perennial bogey team Manchester City. If City could lose 2-0 next week (home to Fulham) then that'd be just dandy :)

Carry on !

Everton thriller recorded.

Penultimate week next. Get that cold turkey ready cuz it's not far away now :(

Week 37 is a must-win home tie again Wigan. Last season this ended 1-1 and that simply wouldn't be good enough this time around with Everton playing Arsenal @ the Emirates giving us a massive chance to snatch 5th from them.

Week 37 last season was that memorable 3-0 thrashing of Sheff Utd when the European heroes returned for a celebration of their achievements. The margin of victory that day ultimately sent Sheff Utd's goal difference over the top and got them relegated.

Hopefully the new Holte End flag will make it's debut this time around and get the crowd whipped into a frenzy. The fact that it is Sir Olof Mellberg's final home game will guarantee to make this a special occasion and I am going to afford myself the luxury of assuming this is going to be a thrashing, sending us into the final day of the season in 5th place and needing a win @ the Boleyn or at least to equal whatever Everton achieve at home against Newcastle. Go Barcodes !

Disappointing Wigan defeat recorded. Kudos to fistface. He has all but screwed up our UEFA qualification. Intertoto now or nothing ! :(

Next up is a trip to the Boleyn. Last season was a 1-1 draw. We need to win it otherwise we need the noses to beat Blackburn which could keep them up. We don't want that. True C&B needs to beat fake C&B next weekend.

Week 38 last season was a 2-2 draw at Bolton which very nearly screwed up their UEFA qualification. Only a Reading draw with Blackburn AND a Pompey draw with Arsenal conspired to somehow keep Bolton in 7th that day. If only we could be so lucky this time out.

Yeah I just don't want to be relying on the noses of all teams. Although they will be going balls out. Ordinarily they'd do the opposition a favour out of spite but not this time, tho the fact they're down there means they're not as capable in the first place. Blackburn are a lucky team at the moment and RSC can't stop scoring.