Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

To play devil's advocate for a moment, perhaps Pearson has learned from his outbursts?

He has something about as a manager that convinces me that he might get us back on track. But not completely.

He'd never be near a list of my preferred candidates but I do believe that the boards criteria are important. PL and Championship experience, (not so fussed about British but it could help with the culture at the club).

Which is why part of me died when we saw Southgate sat next to Little at the game yesterday.

Moyes or Pearson are the only managers that fit the remit of the board that don't scare me to death.

Failing that, Karl Robinson wouldn't be a bad shout, but much more of a risk.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

You are wrong. The accounts show that. Building a team on a budget isn't just about transfer fees. They spent 5m over their income on wages when they came up. That is not a budget squad.

But I'm sure that's another 'cheap shot'

I disagree with your interpretation,sorry.

Its traditional for football fans to refer to Transfer fees when debating these kind of issues.....Accountants and financial controllers are more likely to be interested in wages.....Quite frankly, I couldn't give a flying whats a name about how much they earn/get in our case

seems like " cheap shot" is clouding your opinion.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I disagree with your interpretation

seems like " cheap shot" is clouding your judgement.

:crylaugh:

Total nonsense. I would have called you out for the same reasons without you labelling valid opinions as cheap shots.

Edited by StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

:crylaugh:

Total nonsense. I would have called you out for the same reasons without you labelling valid opinions as cheap shots.

lets agree to disagree .

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I disagree with your interpretation,sorry.

Its traditional for football fans to refer to Transfer fees when debating these kind of issues.....Accountants and financial controllers are more likely to be interested in wages.....Quite frankly, I couldn't give a flying whats a name about how much they earn/get in our case

seems like " cheap shot" is clouding your opinion.

Not half as interested as the players will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

What about telling his own fans to "**** off and die"?

I've said it before, but can you actually imagine the reaction on VillaTalk, especially from posters with the same opinion of him as you, if Remi Garde had done that to the Villa fans?

How many fans did he say it to.....One?

Its regrettable no doubt, but was it ok  for Savo to spit at fans.....for Fergie to  kick a boot at Beckham with no apology?.... was ok for Cantona to launch at a fan?.... was it ok for Di Canio to push a Ref.....or MON to Throttle NRC......Hasn't Pardew had his moments?

Never heard any of these incidents raised when they were changing jobs.

But it does sound like you are building a case against him......and it sounds like you are scraping the barrel IMO

If you don't want him or rate him fair enough.

We are not saying he will get the job and if he did no one can be sure he or anyone else will be successful.

Its the vitriol against incidents relating to his character that is questionable

but hey... folk are entitled to say what they like about him.

......To his face, preferably:)......just joking on that....or am I....I can't make up my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Has he?

Yes!!!!  Several times TRO! 

Gripping up opposing players, the absolutely bizarre 'ostrich' interview, another one (possibly after the McArthur incident) where he was at pains to tell a journalist that he could 'look after himself' and the one where he told a Leicester fan to **** off and die. 

He was such a fierce disciplinarian that his own son, amongst other players decided they were going to film and orgy and chuck in some casual racism. 

Now ok, that last one could have happened anywhere, but it was a bit more than a stray shisha pipe! 

The guy is an unhinged, ticking time bomb - who's record in no way justifies the risk associated with appointing him. 

its got nothing to do with being in a 'brigade', he's a **** nut job!! 

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

Gripping up opposing players, the absolutely bizarre 'ostrich' interview, another one (possibly after the McArthur incident) where he was at pains to tell a journalist that he could 'look after himself' and the one where he told a Leicester fan to **** off and die. 

He was such a fierce disciplinarian that his own son, amongst other players decided they were going to film and orgy and chuck in some casual racism. 

Now ok, that last one could have happened anywhere, but it was a bit more than a stray shisha pipe! 

The guy is an unhinged, ticking time bomb - who's record in no way justifies the risk associated with appointing him. 

Perhaps you know his background a bit better than me....I must say I only really look at what he has done football wise.

I am warming to him even more now I know all that.

I'm kidding:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

:crylaugh: course he was. And like I said, I'm sure you'd have been that forgiving if Garde had done it with our fans.

If Garde took 21 points from 27, he could tell me where to go on a regular basis.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I recall Clough sending a player home from training for missing an easy shot at goal. He also turned up to Trevor Francis' signing holding a squash racket.

Alex Ferguson once drove to Aberdeen's training ground and a player passed him in his car. Ferguson fined the player.

Are they nutjobs?

The hate for Pearson reminds me of the hate for literally every other manager linked with the club. I remember Benitez wasn't good enough (a Champions League winner). He was good enough for Real Madrid though.

I like Moyes but he hasn't managed in the lower divisions in ages. Pearson is pretty fresh from the division. Given the TV money, we need to get out of the Championship quickly. If Pearson could do that, you don't have to keep him forever. West Ham booted Allardyce for Bilic and it's worked.

Eddie Howe's understanding of the Championship is a reason I like him, but I suspect that this club would end up chewing him into pieces and making him a nervous wreck.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

How many fans did he say it to.....One?

Its regrettable no doubt, but was it ok  for Savo to spit at fans.....for Fergie to  kick a boot at Beckham with no apology?.... was ok for Cantona to launch at a fan?.... was it ok for Di Canio to push a Ref.....or MON to Throttle NRC......Hasn't Pardew had his moments?

Never heard any of these incidents raised when they were changing jobs.

Savo was put on the transfer list after his incident. Ferguson never 'changed his job'. Cantona didn't either, and that incident is the most controversial moment in premier league history - also an action taken by a player, not a manager. The Di Canio incident, also as a player, was brought up along with everything else he stands for at just about every opportunity when he came back to England as a manager. O'Neill was allegedly grabbed by Reo Coker, not the other way around (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1214347/Nigel-Reo-Coker-Aston-villain-Midfielder-grabs-boss-Martin-ONeill-throat-furious-training-ground-bust-up.html?ITO=1490). Pardew is also a clearing in the woods.

Any more?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, a m ole said:

O'Neill was allegedly grabbed by Reo Coker

That is rubbish.....and I'm not prepared to tell you how I know, but I do..... its rubbish.

He attacked Reo Coker after he left the training pitch and I know the detailed incident leading up to it.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

That is rubbish.....and I'm not prepared to tell you how I know, but I do..... its rubbish.

He attacked Reo Coker after he left the training pitch and I know the detailed incident leading up to it.

Then maybe it isn't mentioned because the real story never went public?

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

For the last time, Nigel Pearson isn't even a tenth the manager that either Clough or Ferguson were, 'incidents' or not. Stop making that ridiculous comparison. And stop pretending that managing and acting like Clough did in the 70s would be at all acceptable, or successful in modern football. Times have changed.

Incredibly, you acknowledge that times have changed but you don't think managers can? Clough and Ferguson toned down a bit over the years. Why don't you think Pearson might be a different manager now?

Perhaps he's learned a little over his time at Leicester and he might handle the same situations differently if he had his time again. I must admit I can't say.

As for Pearson not being a tenth of the manager Clough or Ferguson were - he hasn't won silverware like them it's true, but Pearson was part of building a Leicester team who are on the verge of achieving the virtually impossible.

I am staggered at how little credit he gets for his role in Leicester's current success. It's palmed off to his amazing backroom staff and scouts. I'm not denigrating them, but from some posts here you'd think Pearson was a puppet for the real smart guys. Ironically, those same posts then give the credit to Ranieri for Leicester's current success.

What I like about Pearson is he's a big personality. I think that's a key characteristic for what we should be looking for. Big Ron, John Gregory (who told HDE he was living in a time warp, there's some guts!) - these big characters really stand out for me in recent Villa history. I think you need that powerful personality to succeed at Villa because of the weight of expectation.

But, he's also been part of building an effective squad of players. AND he's got very recent experience of the Championship. He's probably got names from the scouts whom he could still use. I suspect Moyes' list of potential signings are somewhat out of date.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, a m ole said:

For the last time, Nigel Pearson isn't even a tenth the manager that either Clough or Ferguson were, 'incidents' or not. Stop making that ridiculous comparison. And stop pretending that managing and acting like Clough did in the 70s would be at all acceptable, or successful in modern football. Times have changed.

Thats a ridiculous arguement refering to your view of a "ridiculous comparison"

Its their character we are referring to not their football management abilities.....the 2 are quite different.