The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, hippo said:

JC - Wouldn't win a vote of no confidence - no tories or DUP would support it

Its a side show, it means nothing

1 minute ago, hippo said:

The Hard Brexit people can't oust TM as leader of the Tory party - they can't get the 48 signatures to force a contest

I suspect you may be proved wrong on that in the very near future

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

4.A second referendum gambles with the the prospect of a 2nd leave vote - and a subsequent ultra right wing government

Where is the Ultra Right wing Government coming from? You just said they can't get 48 signatures together, you really can't have it both ways. Ideally, the Tory Party will split irrevocably. I'm not entirely sure why a second referendum is a gamble. A second leave vote and we leave, we're leaving anyway without it

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, I think Iain Drunken-Shit came out with it at the weekend. It's utter freakin nonsense, this riven with rage, rioting on the streets bollocks. These people that will be riven with rage fall into two categories and the larger of the two won't be around much longer, the other group is the disenfranchised youth who are far far far more likely to be riotous under a No Deal exit because they'll suffer even more. Aside from those two groups, there'll be the empowered Tommy Robinson type neanderthals, who again will be just as likely if not more so to cause racially aggravating violence after we leave than they currently do. Talk about Project Fear. We have to deal with the neanderthals either way and they'll be worse if we leave

As for constantly on the brink of a new Brexit process, again this is utter nonsense, the referendum happened imo at peak Brexit in the UK it couldn't have been timed better for the leavers, it's already on a demographic slide. The country will absolutely not want to go through this process again in the near future and the longer that goes on, the numbers will continue to stack up on the side of remain.

Really not sure - UKIP and Leave piggy backed on immigration - really not sure that sentiment has gone away - the opinion polls suffer from shy racist factors - Leave on an anti immigration ticket could easily win again. I heard someone at the weekend say "is Corbyn the one who let all the blacks in?" - thats what you're up against.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Where is the Ultra Right wing Government coming from? You just said they can't get 48 signatures together, you really can't have it both ways. Ideally, the Tory Party will split irrevocably. I'm not entirely sure why a second referendum is a gamble. A second leave vote and we leave, we're leaving anyway without it

Because the right would have got there way over Brexit ......highly likley the next leader would be towards the right of the party - and would pitch to a right wing public. 

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Because the right would have got there way over Brexit ......highly likley the next leader would be towards the right of the party - and would pitch to a right wing public. 

Much more likely that there'll be two parties

On the potential for a second referendum, I've had a mini tour around Nottingham / Retford / Sheffield today. I've been offered, totally unsolicited, some pretty strong views on what's happened today and the prospect of not leaving or a soft leaving. 

Everyone I have met today that's expressed an opinion, and that's a good handful, have been 100% leave and angry it's still being debated. Apparently, this has all been planned and plotted by the French since the start?

Fair to say I've been well out of my little bubble today. Totally unrelated (not), I've also had grief for my accent and been called taff by someone I met for the first time. It was pefectly understandable, the guy was clearly just a prick. Apparently, it's 'ridiculous' that I've got work in Nottingham. Just bloody glad now that I hadn't blacked up.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

As opposed to No Deal or May’s Way?

He's giving a view from Europe about how we are perceived, not commenting on what is best for the UK.

Also see earlier Norway clip about not wanting us in their arrangement because we'll mess it up for them like we have for ourselves.

We seem to be viewed as both destructive, and stupid.  A bit like how we see Trump.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Everyone I have met today that's expressed an opinion, and that's a good handful, have been 100% leave and angry it's still being debated

And they are right to be impatient.

Personally, I can't wait to take delivery of my unicorn.  I've built a stall, and arranged bedding and everything, and I want it NOW!

Don't stand in my way.  The people have spoken.

9 hours ago, bickster said:

9 hours ago, bickster said:

The Hard Brexit people can't oust TM as leader of the Tory party - they can't get the 48 signatures to force a contest

- Well if you believe what you read they got an extra signature yesterday - putting them on 26 - still 22 short. I think that is a way off yet.

59 minutes ago, hippo said:

- Well if you believe what you read they got an extra signature yesterday - putting them on 26 - still 22 short. I think that is a way off yet.

So how do you get from that to a hard right-wing party in charge of the country

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

So how do you get from that to a hard right-wing party in charge of the country

Because once Brexit is done ...it wont be an issue in terms of votes. They Dump May as ' yesterdays politics'  - and appoint a right wing leader.

No room whatsoever to renegotiate

Hard Brexit it is then  , except parliament won't pass that , so that leaves us with No Brexit , which of course parliament might not be able to pass either

time to sharpen my pitchfork

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

No room whatsoever to renegotiate

Hard Brexit it is then  , except parliament won't pass that , so that leaves us with No Brexit , which of course parliament might not be able to pass either

time to sharpen my pitchfork

Haven't you heard. This is the best deal available therefore it doesn't need to be negotiated as it's impossible to get better than 'best', surely?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Because once Brexit is done ...it wont be an issue in terms of votes. They Dump May as ' yesterdays politics'  - and appoint a right wing leader.

Yes, let's appoint a leader we don't agree with just for the sake of it. The vast majority of MPs are not Hard Right. It is them that get the say until the final two

If the wider Party elect a hard right leader then that is the point where the Tory Party splits

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No Deal would be an absolute disaster.

I wonder if it would be a bigger disaster than this deal  , which is probably the important question

I think the EU  (and various other people )  are hoping we can be "cornered " into withdrawing article 50   ... No Deal might be the outcome of this play ... lot will now depend on who replaces May in the coming days  ... a Tory Remainer or a Tory Brexiter

Â