The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Leaving the EU is easy. You invoke Article 50 and wait 2 years, and you're out.

That we've found it difficult is entirely down to our needing to get a deal from the EU, which we then complicated by trying to have our cake and eat it. We tried to get 27 countries to agree to us having all the benefits of membership without the obligations that came with it, through our government setting red lines that the EU would never, ever accept. This was complicated by the fact we have a direct border with the EU, and that border is one of the most contentious on Earth in the last century, with things that came with EU membership making things slightly less contentious.

We spent 2 years on a fools errand.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Haha. May's prime directive, survive another day. Bound to lose a vote that will risk your position severely? Cancel it. Even if that means you only postpone the inevitable, the postponement is another few days of power, so do it.

Could it be that a bad reaction to her statement today triggers more people sending in letters to get over the 48 threshold and actually pushes a larger number towards thinking about voting against her in any leadership contest?

Is pulling the vote actually less survivable than losing it?

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Presumably the remaining No confidence letters are on the way right now 

but , Fear not Jeremy is here to save us  ...

With Barry the Gardener at the forefront, how can they not sav.... oh!

• Haha 1

I suppose the one thing the statement this afternoon could do that is more than playing for the cameras is to announce a second referendum, but as suggested over the weekend, with options being her deal or no deal.

This would benefit her in a few ways.

Firstly, and in accordance with the prime directive, it lets her keep power for longer.  It involves 2 climbdowns (u-turns on second vote and extending A50), but she could handwave that. The extension and referendum build up buys more time in No.10 for the power mad witch.

Second, it makes it fairly likely she gets her way. No Deal is exceptionally stupid and probably wouldn't win and Remainers would need to back her deal as the alternative is disastrous. 

Winning also legitimises her and let's her get rid of Brexit in her mind, and possibly the public's too, which has dogged her entire premiership.

She also gets to grandstand to the People's Vote. Sure she'd actually puts piss off the people invested in the People's Vote, but the bystanders who don't really get it get to see her appear to make a good willed concession to public will.

Winning would also put problems in Parliament to bed. Win the second vote, and it's unlikely many MPs defy her.

I'm probably missing something, but working purely on her raisin d'etre, w second vote fudged in her favour would probably be good for May, in a very cynical way.

Just now, Chindie said:

Second, it makes it fairly likely she gets her way. No Deal is exceptionally stupid and probably wouldn't win and Remainers would need to back her deal as the alternative is disastrous. 

Not convinced on that. Just as likely to go for no deal just to prove the point and get us back in quicker. Not saying that's the correct course of action but just that your hypothesis does have an alternative

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Could it be that a bad reaction to her statement today triggers more people sending in letters to get over the 48 threshold and actually pushes a larger number towards thinking about voting against her in any leadership contest?

Is pulling the vote actually less survivable than losing it?

It could be.

I'm not sure though. I don't think there's as many dyed in the wool against her as the Brexiteers think. I also think if she pulls out in light of a second vote like I put above, the hardcore won't get much movement.

Interesting times either way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Presumably the remaining No confidence letters are on the way right now 

Might as well add to the steaming pile of tory excrement by picking a new head dung beetle to be king or queen of the turds. I mean WTAF!

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not convinced on that. Just as likely to go for no deal just to prove the point and get us back in quicker. Not saying that's the correct course of action but just that your hypothesis does have an alternative

The judgement earlier today on revoking A50 stated that option falls once a WA is signed. On that basis Remainers would - perversely - be better off voting for no-deal, thus giving themselves until March 29th to try and grab the wheel of government.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I suppose the one thing the statement this afternoon could do that is more than playing for the cameras is to announce a second referendum, but as suggested over the weekend, with options being her deal or no deal.

Would it be up to May to decide the question put?

Wouldn't it be Parliament (and then the Electoral Commission)?

Edited by snowychap
typo

Just now, snowychap said:

Wouldn't it be Parliament (and then the Elecgoral Commission)?

Parliament, and it would take considerable time, requiring A50 to be extended. That only flies in Brussels if Remain is on the ballot. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Wouldn't it be Parliament (and then the Elecgoral Commission)?

Yes. But I'd bet she reckons she could influence both. The usual will of the people rhetoric. The people said leave, this vote shows then their options in light of that decision or some other nonsense.

• Like 1

Â