The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe. Or maybe there was legitimate reasons to refuse residency. 55 years and a refusal seems very far fetched. 

So, what I think you’re saying, is that you don’t believe his facts but haven’t given it much more thought than that?

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Who said it’s a fact? So the media never make things up?

‘His’ fact, you could delve in to the thread where others have discussed if it is genuine, or you could just pass an opinion based on nothing.

Of course the media make things up, though I’d give Reuters a bit more room than I would those rag papers we all know.

But you came over as someone choosing not to believe him, based on your hunch she was suspect, wanting to see an alternative that fitted with what you already thought, but not really wanting to do any leg work.

Could be wrong. But that’s how it read, to me.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

‘His’ fact, you could delve in to the thread where others have discussed if it is genuine, or you could just pass an opinion based on nothing.

Of course the media make things up, though I’d give Reuters a bit more room than I would those rag papers we all know.

But you came over as someone choosing not to believe him, based on your hunch she was suspect, wanting to see an alternative that fitted with what you already thought, but not really wanting to do any leg work.

Could be wrong. But that’s how it read, to me.

It’s sensationalism. Brexiters fell for it and sounds like remainers do to. 

What leg work can I do to find out if this particular case is true or not?

What I do know is I have a close family members that is a lawyer that has literally helped thousands of people get permanent residency.  Not getting it after 55 years in the country and papers to prove it is unheard of.

The way it could happen is if you didn’t submit the correct paperwork. Even then you are able to appeal and correct it. 

Still makes a great story.  

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s sensationalism. Brexiters fell for it and sounds like remainers do to. 

What leg work can I do to find out if this particular case is true or not?

What I do know is I have a close family members that is a lawyer that has literally helped thousands of people get permanent residency.  Not getting it after 55 years in the country and papers to prove it is unheard of.

The way it could happen is if you didn’t submit the correct paperwork. Even then you are able to appeal and correct it. 

Still makes a great story.  

I don’t believe you. Sounds too convenient and doesn’t fit my world view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

They appeal and then accepted?

Well then that's alright then. 

If it was due to incorrect paperwork then yes. This person will get her residency.   There’s no grounds not to give it her after she lived here for 55 years.  You know that. I know that. It’s a nothing article. 

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t believe you. Sounds too convenient and doesn’t fit my world view.

Not sure what world view has to do with it but ok mate whatever you say 👍🏼

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Are you suggesting somebody working for reuters has made it up or been conned?

I can’t comment on the validity of the story but top marks to the metro for running it with a huge advert for U.K. immigration solicitors.

but like the actress on sky the other day and the “refused papers” discussion  , on face value it sound harsh , quite disgusting even , but we don’t know the full picture ...  we don’t see stories about people that weren’t refused    with which to draw comparisons 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I can’t comment on the validity of the story but top marks to the metro for running it with a huge advert for U.K. immigration solicitors.

but like the actress on sky the other day and the “refused papers” discussion  , on face value it sound harsh , quite disgusting even , but we don’t know the full picture ...  we don’t see stories about people that weren’t refused    with which to draw comparisons 

I can’t comment on the validity either. I was just a bit surprised by someone suggesting it was far fetched but not backing that up with anything.

I suspect we are about to see a deluge of such stories, which one group will reject as dubious or just another ‘one off’ admin error whilst the other half will project as the prelude to the fourth reich.

Trouble is, we have compulsive liars and chancers in charge and playing to the gallery. So this sort of thing, this basic unpreparedness is going to cause needless friction points and entrench the views on all sides.

The truth, I suspect, will be wilfully under resourced incompetence. That will suit this particular generation of Tories to cater for the vindictive element of their support at the same time as saving money on those nasty low level civil service jobs their supporters think are wasteful, whilst having jolly japes and a promise everything will be fine.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t know. I don’t believe the story.

If it is true why can’t the same article tell us the reason why she was refused?

It does give the reason she was refused.

The article says the Home Office:

refused her application saying she had “failed to show you have a permanent right of residence in the UK,”

[and]

a government official told her she had failed to prove herself as, “a qualified person either as a worker, a self-employed person, a student, a jobseeker, or a self-sufficient person”.

I seem to also remember reading there were some difficulties with a crossover with people making applications for PR and the introduction of the Settled Status scheme. Perhaps she has also got caught up in that?

Maybe it's all completely made up or maybe the article hasn't been written by someone who understands the system(s) - it certainly appears to confuse applications for Settled Status with applications for Permanent Residency at one point. But hey, that appears to be rather the point. It's a confusing system with overlaps and gaps that often has people at the Home Office themselves and ministers at the Home Office and ex-Home Secretaries apparently spouting utter bollocks and indicating that they don't even know how it all works.

Good luck to anyone with not the most straightforward of applications who can't access or afford to pay a legal expert to help them navigate the system properly. And even when they have that, good luck to them because, contrary to your disbelief, it doesn't always work out as it should do.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It does give the reason she was refused.

The article says the Home Office:

I seem to also remember reading there were some difficulties with a crossover with people making applications for PR and the introduction of the Settled Status scheme. Perhaps she has also got caught up in that?

Maybe it's all completely made up or maybe the article hasn't been written by someone who understands the system(s) - it certainly appears to confuse applications for Settled Status with applications for Permanent Residency at one point. But hey, that appears to be rather the point. It's a confusing system with overlaps and gaps that often has people at the Home Office themselves and ministers at the Home Office and ex-Home Secretaries apparently spouting utter bollocks and indicating that they don't even know how it all works.

Good luck to anyone with not the most straightforward of applications who can't access or afford to pay a legal expert to help them navigate the system properly. And even when they have that, good luck to them because, contrary to your disbelief, it doesn't always work out as it should do.

Absolutely mental if she doesn’t get residency.  

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I can’t comment on the validity either. I was just a bit surprised by someone suggesting it was far fetched but not backing that up with anything.

I did back it up. A person living hear 55 years and being refused residency is unheard of. So In my opinion that story is far fetched.

I obviously couldn’t back up that particular case without being privy to the full details of the refusal and whether she could appeal. Something that the article wasn’t about to mention as it wouldn’t fit the agenda. 

Plus even if I didn’t back it up, am I not allowed to have an opinion without someone spouting some shit about not fitting world views?

Â