The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's Nadine Dorries. She's offensively stupid.

The Brexit side have some elected idiots don't they?

Hoey, Dorries, Davis, Fox, Cheese woman

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

The Brexit side have some elected idiots don't they?

Hoey, Dorries, Davis, Fox, Cheese woman

Ian Duncan Smith, Jeremy Corbyn....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Government has published it's proposals for the "Irish border backstop".

They are quite clear, it is to be a time limited backstop (so not a backstop at all) with no specific time limit. And there will definitely be some sort of solution that will be in place. And there are loads of ways to do this, which we'll talk about another time.

The wheels are falling off the clown car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Oh, you mean the bloke who campaigned for Remain. 

Yeah, that one. Campaigned ineffectively for Remain (like Theresa May did), but then acted all leavy and Brexity in terms of whipping his MPs to vote for A50 being triggered, and who punishes his remainy MPs and tries to whip thew Labour Lords to support the Gov't. And has been all Brexity ever since.

That useless word removed, yes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah, that one. Campaigned ineffectively for Remain

So ineffectively that basically the same proportion of Labour members voted for Remain as Lib Dem ones.

Over in the Labour thread you've been voicing concerns about immigration that are not that dissimilar to points Corbyn has made, especially about the Posted Workers Directive, but weirdly it seems to be completely unacceptable for Corbyn to have supported Remain but with reservations. 

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So ineffectively that basically the same proportion of Labour members voted for Remain as Lib Dem ones.

Over in the Labour thread you've been voicing concerns about immigration that are not that dissimilar to points Corbyn has made, especially about the Posted Workers Directive, but weirdly it seems to be completely unacceptable for Corbyn to have supported Remain but with reservations. 

The proportion of Labour voters that voted remain is utterly unconnected to Jeremy Corbyn’s support or lack of, for remain or Brexit.

The comments I made about Gordon Brown’s speech on Brexit and addressing some of the concerns Brexit voters have were related to trying to explain that I didn’t agree his speech was “dog whistling” and that I agreed that some of the measures he talked about should have been done York’s ago by both Labour and Tory governments. If (and it’s quite a big if) Corbyn shares Gordon Brown’s take on SOME of the immigration issues (the ones I think I mentioned), then good for him.

However, the sainted Jezza’s “jobs first Brexit” is an utter fantasy. His enthusiastic post-referendum embracing of all things Brexit, including basically aiding and abetting the tories whilst leader of the opposition, going against, as you say, the views of the Labour membership, against things which will reduce the loss of jobs and such like and missing the opportunities presented to him on a plate, even now absolutely confirms to me that he’s a word removed of a leader. He’s a wrong ‘un.

• Like 1

Corbyn is quite obviously a bit of a simpleton, but when people are compiling the list of villains who screwed the UK, some through malice, some through idiocy his name is going to come quite a long way down the list.

While David Davis has hogged the headlines recently, Boris Johnson has been slowly losing his cool over Brexit and lost it, just a little bit, when addressing Tory activists at the Conservative Way Forward on Wednesday. It was a candid speech but, with recording devices built into every smartphone, it was hardly surprising that it should have leaked. Perhaps BoJo, fed up with Theresa May’s Brexit backsliding, wanted it to leak. The Times and BuzzFeed have the story, and here are the best quotes.

On HM Treasury

“What they don’t want is friction at the borders. They don’t want any disruption. So they’re sacrificing all the medium and long-term gains amid fear of short-term disruption . . . That fear of short- term disruption has become so huge in people’s minds that they’re turning them all wet. Project Fear is really working on them. They’re terrified of this nonsense. It’s all mumbo jumbo. In the short term it is probably true that there will be some dislocation, yeah, yeah of course. There will be some bumps on the road. But unless you go through that, you won’t have any of the advantages.

On Trump

“I am increasingly admiring of Donald Trump. I have become more and more convinced that there is method in his madness.” And if he did Brexit, “he’d go in bloody hard… There’d be all sorts of breakdowns, all sorts of chaos. Everyone would think he’d gone mad. But actually you might get somewhere. It’s a very, very good thought.”

On Putin

Putin feels a deep sense of shame that he’s leader of a country that has been so greatly reduced in its global importance. When I was a kid, Russia really mattered. It’s now got an economy about the size of Australia. Yeah, they’ve they’ve got a lot of nuclear weapons, but it’s real importance in the world is greatly [diminished]. Putin’s a revanchist. He wants to cause trouble. He wants to upset people like us… One of the problems is Russia is so good at spreading violence. They’re brilliant at it. We need to identify it and call it out.”

On Xi

We need to engage with China diplomatically, treat China as our friend and our partner, but also recognise that they are our commercial rivals. And they will try to stiff us…. The Americans have run the tech world for decades. Microsoft, Google, Apple, blah, blah, blah — we’re used to them winning. No, no, no. The Chinese are about to win. They’ve got 5G. They’ve found out a way. Everybody’s going to be getting stuff on their gizmos through the Chinese system and not the American system. So watch out for that one.”

On Kim

Of course we’ve got to help the Americans do this thing…. I just talked to Mike Pompeo, my counterpart in the US State Department. What they want us to do is to use our nuclear expertise to dismantle Kim Jong-Un’s nuclear missile. That’s what he asked me to do today

On Remainers in government

“What they don’t want is friction at the borders. They don’t want any disruption of the economy. So they’re sacrificing all the medium and long-term gains out of fear of short-term disruption. Do you see what I’m saying? The fear of short-term disruption has become so huge in people’s minds that they’ve turned into a quivering wreck. They’re terrified of this nonsense. It’s mumbo jumbo.”

On Brexit talks

“Concentrate on maximum facilitation. That’s what we want. Solve the technical problem. We can easily find a solution that allows us to have trade that is frictionless as possible… with our continental friends and partners while still be able to do free trade deals. It’s not beyond the wit of man… I think Theresa is going to go into a phase where we are much more combative with Brussels.. You’ve got to face the fact there may now be a meltdown. OK? I don’t want anybody to panic during the meltdown. No panic. Pro bono publico, no bloody panic. It’s going to be all right in the end.” 

And on Brexit

“So when we talk about moving to maximum facilitation for customs, I am of the view it will be fine. [Brexit] will happen and I think it will be irreversible. The risk is it will not be the one we want and the risk is that we will end up in a sort of anteroom of the EU, with an orbit around the EU, in a customs union and to a large extent in the single market. So not really having full freedom on our trade policy, our tariffs schedules, and not having freedom with our regulatory framework either.”

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/06/boris-johnson-leaked-tape-best-quotes/

The Spectators best quotes from the leaked Bojo Tapes, some non-Brexit stuff in there but... this man is a mentalist, he's dangerous... gawd help us

• Like 1

On Xi

We need to engage with China diplomatically, treat China as our friend and our partner, but also recognise that they are our commercial rivals. And they will try to stiff us…. The Americans have run the tech world for decades. Microsoft, Google, Apple, blah, blah, blah — we’re used to them winning. No, no, no. The Chinese are about to win. They’ve got 5G. They’ve found out a way. Everybody’s going to be getting stuff on their gizmos through the Chinese system and not the American system. So watch out for that one.”

Steady - He's trying to confuse everyone by throwing in a correct answer.

Â