Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I do have a holiday wrapped around the trip.... (whew).  

And I do have to say that as someone who lives and dies with our wins (i've one foot in the grave this year)  I have watched Villa live 3 times.  two losses and one win.  I absolutely loved the Villa Park experience every time.  I know that most of you know this... but it's a grand place, great history, great tradition, it just feels like the right place to be when I'm there.

I would like to vote that the protest that day involve singing or chants or something in the stadium.  Walking out at some point of my very rare chances would truly break my heart, but ignoring the OTD leadership, passion, and momentum would also break my heart.  (I'm already bracing myself for the heartbreak of a loss... and a depressing effort.)  

My family will be in London and I plan to catch a train up and back for the match.

A difficult decision to make given the distance you will have covered to make the game. As has been said below: 

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think I speak for the group here mate when I say we don't know. That game is over 4 weeks away and our only definite intentions at present are for walk outs against Tottenham on 13th March and Chelsea on 2nd April. I would imagine there will almost certainly be some form of protest at that game unless there are major developments in terms of how the club is being run or in terms of the owner.

I hope we will see some major positive developments in terms of how the club is being run and in terms of the current "custodian" by then to save you having to make that choice if the 74th minute protest is extended to that game. I hope you have a great stay in the UK, see us win for a second time and on the bright side should you leave earlier to back any call for fans to leave that might be made later you may be able to catch an earlier train back to London to meet up again with your family. Or you could bring them with you but that might be a little cruel on them given how our season has gone to date..;)           

• Like 1

So are you now happy that the OTDO74 objectives have been clearly explained to you? I ask because your second paragraph seems out of place with those objectives. They are not to simply sit back and wait to see what happens. Cross fingers and hope for the best. 

Having read your previous post (and I did read the updated 'objectives' when they were first posted), yes, I agree with the aim of OTDO74. I guess it's just your personal and individual posts that I occasionally take issue with ;)

Nothing about my second paragraph of the post you were quoting was intimating that we just sit back and cross our fingers. We all know that there are problems all the way through Aston Villa at the moment. But we also have reason to believe that 'something' is happening, and I'm not going to automatically assume that any changes being made will just make way for the next set of problems at Villa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Having read your previous post (and I did read the updated 'objectives' when they were first posted), yes, I agree with the aim of OTDO74. I guess it's just your personal and individual posts that I occasionally take issue with ;)

Nothing about my second paragraph of the post you were quoting was intimating that we just sit back and cross our fingers. We all know that there are problems all the way through Aston Villa at the moment. But we also have reason to believe that 'something' is happening, and I'm not going to automatically assume that any changes being made will just make way for the next set of problems at Villa.

Rob You mention 'something' is happening but all I have seen is paper rumours and suggestions from someone who said they speak to a low level employee who said 'something is happening'. I do not trust the current ownership/executives to get any changes right. I have also been told by low level employees that 'something is happening' in that they have sacked a number of employees, made others reapply for their jobs and cut out the biscuits.

Cuts, Cuts and more cuts.....

If some of the other rumours are to be believed they are letting the high earners go and that Garde is to be replaced by Bruce. Whoopy do.... The Bright Future is back on again.

Anyone can say something is happening but it doesn't mean it's a 'good something' or that it will be positive for the club. Nothing in the next few weeks would surprise me apart from Lerner saying he is putting more money into the club and is committing to us getting back to the PL quickly. The accounts which are now officially overdue will be interesting. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Rob You mention 'something' is happening but all I have seen is paper rumours and suggestions from someone who said they speak to a low level employee who said 'something is happening'. I do not trust the current ownership/executives to get any changes right. I have also been told by low level employees that 'something is happening' in that they have sacked a number of employees, made others reapply for their jobs and cut out the biscuits.

Cuts, Cuts and more cuts.....

If some of the other rumours are to be believed they are letting the high earners go and that Garde is to be replaced by Bruce. Whoopy do.... The Bright Future is back on again.

Anyone can say something is happening but it doesn't mean it's a 'good something' or that it will be positive for the club. Nothing in the next few weeks would surprise me apart from Lerner saying he is putting more money into the club and is committing to us getting back to the PL quickly. The accounts which are now officially overdue will be interesting. 

I didn't say that the 'something' that is supposedly happening is a 'good something' or that it will be positive. I'm saying that I won't automatically presume that any changes will be negative. Which you and others appear to be doing.

When changes are made, all we can do is weigh them up and wait and see.

For example the Garde->Bruce rumour (which was literally a paper rumour, by the way, and is unlikely as Bruce would probably stay at Hull if he brings them up). You're viewing it as an automatic negative, it seems. Whereas there may be positives in a similar change, such as the experience of managing and setting up a team to get promoted from the Championship. If Garde stays next year and we finish mid-table, people will be calling for the boards heads, asking why we didn't go for a Bruce/Pearson type manager who has gotten promoted before.

Just a thought for the campaign, there's clearly a number of fans who just won't leave the game after 74 mins and at the moment that's leaving a bit of a divide within the fans - there must be fans out there who want to be involved but don't want to leave the game early. Would it be worth trying to extend the OTD to say something along the lines of "we fully understand that not all fans will want to leave early, and to those fans we ask would you stay behind for 18 mins singing against the board with Lerner out etc", that way no one really has any cause for complaint and everyone who wants to protest will be able to, in their own way. Not a different idea just a footnote if you like within the same plan. It would also be a nice way to get both the 18 and 74 in there.

I understand everyone has worked so hard on this and it may be too difficult to push through at this stage, just thought I'd put the idea out there for the organisers who have done a great job so far

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

Totally serious ..... make a diary note for next Christmas and then come back and tell me I was wrong :) !!!

Will do :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Then he gets it right :) !!!

Even if we're top of the championship by a shit load of points next Christmas, saying Lerner got it right will still make you a complete fool. 

• Like 1

As someone said recently on Twitter, it as if Lerner has run over a black cat and is forever cursed. I don't think it is bad luck, I think it because he is just crap at running a business/football club, had the wrong strategies etc Appointing Hollis is imo just another attempt to push through cost savings or even worse....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Even if we're top of the championship by a shit load of points next Christmas, saying Lerner got it right will still make you a complete fool. 

No .... the complete fool is the one who now assumes we will be crap no matter what happens and still thinks we are crap when we aren't. Reality is, as soon as this team starts winning again you'll be reaching for your box of tissues like the rest of the keyboard doom merchants.

What has happened has happened, you can wallow and protest about the past as much as you want but I've moved on ! 

14 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I am not sure, I have seen quite a lot of shit to be honest........

And when I read 'all fart, no shit', I thought to myself "that's a good thing in most situations".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

No .... the complete fool is the one who now assumes we will be crap no matter what happens and still thinks we are crap when we aren't. Reality is, as soon as this team starts winning again you'll be reaching for your box of tissues like the rest of the keyboard doom merchants.

What has happened has happened, you can wallow and protest about the past as much as you want but I've moved on ! 

Hahaha that's brilliant. 

• Like 1

Just on the above conversation.  I think you're both talking cross purposes i.e. about 2 slightly different things.  One (DC Jonah) is making the point that regardless of what happens next season, Lerner is a failure by virtue of us even being in the Championship and he has presided over that collapse.  The other (Paul33) is trying to say that if and when the current board are gotten rid of then Lerner will begin to get it right from that point onwards with the right appointments.  Slightly different things.  FWIW I don't see any reason to believe that Lerner's next appointments will be any better than his current ones or his previous ones.  He may get lucky.  Law of averages says if you roll the dice often enough you'll eventually roll a yahtzee, but he's just as likely to bring in more Keystone cops to run the show.  If anything, being in the lower league means we'll be shopping in a lower market off the pitch as well as on it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

But look at Newcastle now... they went down and cleaned up and all that shiz, but they seems right close to square one again. 

Ashley ~ Lerner! Out and OUT!

Â