Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

44 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think the homepage looks much better with the picture than with the claret. 

@Chewie - the complete list of FAQ's:

FAQ's

1)    Who are we?

We are ordinary fans of Aston Villa Football Club. We have supported the club through thick and thin and are frustrated by the failures of the leadership of our club. Our public face is businessman Mike McKenna, a Trinity Road season-ticket holder who has supported the club since 1959. You might have heard him on [name of radio show here]. Between us we have attended thousands of Villa games and we want to express our frustration with the misdirection of the club under Randy Lerner. 

2) Why a walk-out?

In the Premier League era, fans have fewer channels of communication than ever with the club. Aston Villa fans feel that we have been ignored, and that the club has taken our support for granted for too long. In addition, we feel that the ongoing crisis at the club (which has been present for much longer than the current season) has been under-reported and poorly covered by local and national media. A walk-out is designed to get the attention of both club and media, and to push both to take the concerns of Villa fans seriously. 

3) Why the 74th minute in 'Out the Door on '74'?

When Randy Lerner bought Aston Villa he made a show of respecting the history and tradition of the club. His slogan was 'Proud History, Bright Future.' Aston Villa is one of the oldest and proudest clubs in English football, and was founded in 1874. The protest aims to show Randy Lerner that despite his fine words, his actions since 2010 have damaged the history and tradition of this football club. 

4) How can I help?

Firstly and most importantly, if you are attending the Everton home game on March 1st, we respectfully ask you to consider standing up and leaving the stadium on the 74th minute of the match. 

If you are not attending the game itself, you may still be able to help by spreading word to Villa fans who are attending and may not be aware of the protest. Please consider one of the following options:

• list of options

5) Why should I join in?

Obviously, it is the choice of the individual ticket-holder whether to participate in the protest or not. However, it is only through collective action that our voices – the voices of the fans of this football club – can be heard. Apathy will not persuade the club to take the fans’ concerns seriously.

Very good

2 hours ago, Chewie said:

@HanoiVillan I think your changes to the Mission Statement have merit, but I also think that the original version wants to double up as an open letter as sorts. We plan to have an abridged video statement to go on the main page, hopefully at some point tomorrow. @DK82 is going to work on the press release version, and I am sure that he'd be happy to take on board your suggestions to input into that. Whilst I have you, when you are happy enough that you have enough content for the FAQ, could you PM or @ me please, as i will be going to sleep relatively soon and might miss the post.

@StanBalaban Fair point, complete agree. Problem is we haven't got a great deal of time to tweak everything to make it look super awesome. The maintenance mode blur comes is from the Wordpress default theme which isn't great for the actual layout of the main site. @sexbelowsound Would you mind changing the claret to blue on the OutTheDoorOn74 website banner image and then i'll switch it up and see if that helps alleviate the claret overload :) Also feel free to send a favicon over with the other images too.

send suggestions to me denjamedia (at) gmail (dot) com as I will be looking at it all tomorrow. :thumb:

Guys, hell of a day today. We have really got noticed and the word is spreading like wildfire. 

Still cannot quite believe how you all did so much in such little time. 

Some fantastic contributions all round but a big shout out for all those behind the scenes - you know who you are!!

Pity AVFC players cannot be as effective as the VT team of volunteers today. 

Everybody, if you have not been involved please volunteer to spread the word further, get Twitter handles, email addresses, RT tweets, Like Facebook page, post on other Villa forums and FB groups

Today shows what a small group of determined individuals can do - I am beyond impressed! 

Next week is going to be crazy! 

Someone has posted a thread about the cause on the AVFC Sub-Reddit. If you have an Reddit account then it is a decent idea to upvote and comment on the thread. The AVFC subreddit is probably too small to ever make the front page but it is an excellent avenue of exposure.

Also, if you are on Twitter, vote yes on this poll

Edited by Chewie

A number of posters on here have done some amazing work over the last couple of days getting this off the ground. Long way to go but this is a great start. Big thanks and well down lads, and lasses maybe :-) The rest off us owe it to them, and more importantly the future of this club, to back this, spread the word and help out in any way we can.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Someone has posted a thread about the cause on the AVFC Sub-Reddit. If you have an Reddit account then it is a decent idea to upvote and comment on the thread. The AVFC subreddit is probably too small to ever make the front page but it is an excellent avenue of exposure.

Also, if you are on Twitter, vote yes on this poll

There are three comments currently under that Reddit thread, of which two are openly derisory. 

Do we have any members here who are on Reddit, and are willing to have a polite discussion about the purposes of our protest?

If we don't, I'll sign up, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of creating an account if someone else already has one. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There are three comments currently under that Reddit thread, of which two are openly derisory. 

Do we have any members here who are on Reddit, and are willing to have a polite discussion about the purposes of our protest?

If we don't, I'll sign up, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of creating an account if someone else already has one. 

We simply need as many people as possible with a Reddit account to comment as to why they are supporting the cause. Redditors are fickle and pessimistic, but opinions can be swayed by a few decent comments, especially if one of them gets voted to the top.

Make sure you upvote the positive comments, and (whilst against reddits etiquette) downvote the negative comments ;)

Edited by Chewie

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Get in there Hanoi. You'd be an excellent spokesperson.

If not, we should get @DCJonah to do it. I challenge anyone to win the argument then. :P

3 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Right, I've put together a brief timeline. Any suggestions, inaccuracies, updates or revisions?

2006 Ellis Sells - Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner buys the club and Martin O'Neill replaces David O'Leary as manager. 

2007 A New Era - Under the banner of "Proud History, Bright Future" The Aston Villa logo is updated by the owner to further emphasise the start of a new era.

2009 Big Spenders – In the summer of 2009 the club were amongst the biggest spenders in Europe but once again narrowly missed out on a Champions League spot.

2010 Summer Sales - Following the sale of Gareth Barry in 2009, O'Neill was once again faced with selling one of his prize assets. This time James Milner left for Manchester City with Stephen Ireland coming in the other direction.

2010 O'Neill Departs - Following three back-to-back 6th place finishes O'Neill leaves 5 days before the start of the new season. Lerner states that the two "No longer share a common view as to how to move the club forward". Enter Gerard Houllier.

2011 Troubling Times - With the club battling against relegation and struggling to adapt to the backroom changes, Randy Lerner breaks the club transfer record by bringing in Darren Bent from Sunderland for close to £24 million.

2011 McLeish Arrives - Houllier leaves due to ill health and amidst protests from the fans Alex McLeish is appointed following a relegation season with Birmingham City.

2011 Cut Backs Start – During McLeish’s first transfer window the club were again selling its star assets. Cut backs had begun and McLeish was now tasked with cutting the wage bill and working to a tight budget. Despite these cut backs numerous players were purchased and placed on large contracts.

2012 Relegation Battle - After a 16th place finish and only 4 home wins Alex McLeish is replaced by Norwich manager Paul Lambert. Lambert is given the same remit as McLeish but pressed even further to drastically cut costs.

2014 - Up For Sale - After years of cost cutting owner Randy Lerner announce that he has put the club up for sale with a valuation _______ placed on the club.

2015 - Brighter Times? - Following 3 back-to-back relegation battles Paul Lambert is replaced by Tim Sherwood who guides the club to an FA Cup final. In spite of this Sherwood only lasts 8 months in the job.

2015  - Garde Arrives – With the club winless since the start of the season French manager Remi Garde takes over.

Do we know, or can we find out, the date of the last home game that Randy Lerner attended? I think that would be a great addition to the timeline, as suggested by @dounavilla

Just a quick thought. Might it be also be worth trying to let Everton fan sites know what is going on? Given there is some respect between fans of the 2 clubs and that this is currently the most played league fixture (and we want to keep it that way) they might even offer some encouragement on 74 minutes rather than sing "we can see you sneaking out" if they are aware of why it is happening. 

• Like 1

Â