Should There Be Video Replay In Football Officiating?

Stevo985

179809d1373210666t-apple-going-down-bill

Video technology to assist refs could be coming soon

FA Cup: Video assistance for referees backed by football bosses

Next season's FA Cup and Scottish Cup could feature video assistance for referees after football bosses backed recommendations to introduce trials.

The International Football Association Board, which makes the game's laws, wants experiments to take place and will make a final decision in March.

Football Association chief Martin Glenn said: "I'm happy to be part of that. We are supporters and control the FA Cup."

Scottish FA chief Stewart Regan said: "It's something I'd like to see."

Regan added that his organisation "would certainly discuss" the trials and said any move to involve the Scottish Professional Football League would have to be discussed with league organisers.

The trials would be limited to decisions on goals, red cards, penalties and cases of mistaken identity.

Video would only be used when the referee asked for assistance or when the video assistant was allowed to flag up errors.

Video decisions would be time limited and, unlike rugby, would not be replayed on big screens inside stadiums.

If the trials are successful, video assistants could come in for the 2018-19 season but not in time for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

cant see what good this will bring.

pundits cant agree on decisions in the studio - where do they draw the line too?

other sports (eg American football) use it and systematically follow a step by step guide - has he got control of the ball? yes. are both feet down and inbounds? yes. does he maintain control throughout? yes.

Football is so much more grey than black and white - pulling a shirt outside the area but continuing into it - penalty? freekick? neither because both doing it? ask 100 referees and you'll likely get a fairly even spread over the 3 options there.

I agree and I don't agree.

I think there's plenty of room in the game for video technology to play a part. But I agree that if videos were used for everything it would be crap.

I don't know what the solution/compromise is, but I'm sure there's one there. I guess that's what the trials are for.

not for me its a poor idea as they have only labelled them for certain options and will end up being for every decision and will ruin the game

Plus the cost wise is probably too much for some teams, cant imagine teams in Scotland like Alloa and Cowdenbeath for example be happy to have to purchase a lot of fancy new equipment when the players are more than likely part-time

Definitely needed.

Goals which are suspected to be offside would be cleared up. With the introduction of technology for offside decisions, the linesman could basically stop doing the job all together, play would continue untill the video footage is seen in a studio somewhere and they buzz the referee to stop the game.  (It would literally take seconds for them to see whether someone is offside or not)

Dives can be caught, especially in the penalty box (where there's 0 contact at least)

Knowing whether something is a goal kick or a corner could be settled in seconds. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

no

SuarezDive

100 people watch that 10 times at different speeds and from different angles

do you get 100 decisions that are the same? you'll get 100 opinions, they'll be more informed opinions but opinions all the same

and with that i rest my case m'lord

Edited by villa4europe

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

no

SuarezDive

100 people watch that 10 times at different speeds and from different angles

do you get 100 decisions that are the same? you'll get 100 opinions, they'll be more informed opinions but opinions all the same

and with that i rest my case m'lord

I remember when that was on motd, lineker and whoever else was on were adamant it was a penalty, blaming Guzan for rushing out and saying it caused Suarez to avoid him, then they did the viewer poll and about 80% of the votes said it wasn't a pen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrissmith921 said:

cant see what good this will bring.

pundits cant agree on decisions in the studio - where do they draw the line too?

other sports (eg American football) use it and systematically follow a step by step guide - has he got control of the ball? yes. are both feet down and inbounds? yes. does he maintain control throughout? yes.

Football is so much more grey than black and white - pulling a shirt outside the area but continuing into it - penalty? freekick? neither because both doing it? ask 100 referees and you'll likely get a fairly even spread over the 3 options there.

American football use it and still get the decision wrong because the rules are stupidly ambiguous. For instance, your catch example is wrong because nobody can agree what a catch actually is. 

I used to support this idea, but now I only support it for disputed goals. Anything else would just slow the game down, and the beauty of football is that it rarely stops.

IMO unless it's fact then you can't do it

That Suarez incident you cannot factually say it's a penalty, you only give your opinion, well if that's the case what's the point in delaying the game for a couple of minutes to then still have a decision that's disputed?

The way forward is retrospective punishment to stop cheating, Monday morning reviews, you dive you get a ban, I personally would make it that a dive during a game is a yellow card but then also an automatic 1 match ban, but as it is refs won't even give yellow cards for diving now

Using replays won't stop cheating and that's where we need to start

Bring back football being a contact sport, hand on the shoulder and the ankles go, it's utter bullshit but I'd bet a pound to pinch of shit that a video replay ref would still give a penalty

• Like 3

Only in favor of retroactively giving penalties to players who dives. Shocking that nothing is being done by this. Referees should not be nearly as lenient as they are on the pitch. Give them a two match ban for pulling stunts like that. Personally this is the thing that annoys me the most in football now and it's so prominent too in many leagues.

Â