Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Keeping tabs on Inler from Leicester but Toulalan is our primary target

“I’m aware of his situation because I’ve looked at all the players who could be interested (in a move) because of the Euros,” said Garde.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/remi-garde-reveals-aston-villa-10640771?

On Daily Mail as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3370642/Claudio-Ranieri-hopes-Leicester-star-Riyad-Mahrez-handle-increased-scrutiny.html

Inler is happy at City despite a lack of action but, as Switzerland captain, knows he needs regular football to safeguard his place ahead of Euro 2016.

Villa boss Remi Garde is tracking the 31-year-old to aid their relegation fight with the side bottom of the table and 10 points from safety.

He said: "I'm aware of this (Inler's) situation because I've looked at all the players who could be interested in this situation because of the Euros. I don't want to say to you where he is on my list.

"Of course, every player who will play Euros I am interested in because they are good players. It doesn't mean they will come or that I have already called them. But I know him very well."

And with t he Foxes top of the Barclays Premier League by two points Ranieri would listen to requests to move if he can find replacements.

"I would like to maintain everyone but I understand if they want to go. I hope to replace them if they do," he said.

Inler has been kept out of the side by Danny Drinkwater and N'Golo Kante with the Foxes surprise title contenders and they have only been beaten by second placed Arsenal.

The Gunners won 5-2 win at the King Power Stadium in September and Ranieri believes Arsene Wenger's side are title favourites.

He said: "I agree with these people when they say Arsenal are favourites or City are favourites.

"Our team is a young team and it's the first time we're top of the league. I would sign a guarantee now to stay above Arsenal, I want to stay above Arsenal at the end of the league. If not at the top, very close."

Edited by Villan4Life

I've always thought of Inler as a decent player. Can stick his foot in and play simply passes to keep possession, a better version of an NRC or modern day Sanchez.

Unlucky at Leicester as no one expected their first 11 to be this amazing, I'd be happy with him on loan.

Edit: I'm reasonably confident we'll end the transfer window with a significantly better 11 than we have now with the contacts Garde has. The big problem though is how far adrift we'll be at the end of January and how monumental the task will be.

We simply need to win a game or two with this current mob to give us half a chance for the final 15 or so games.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

I've always thought of Inler as a decent player. Can stick his foot in and play simply passes to keep possession, a better version of an NRC or modern day Sanchez.

Unlucky at Leicester as no one expected their first 11 to be this amazing, I'd be happy with him on loan.

He will probably come to us on loan and Leicester go for Nigel De Jong who they have been linked with on loan!

Pity we couldn't get De Jong on loan ourselves as much better player to be fair than Inler and would probably take Drinkwater's place next to Kante.

Just now, avfctom89 said:

Inler would definently add that bit of steel in the middle and would hopefully work well behind Veretout.

Is he more defensive or offensively minded ?

DM for sure, played all his career infront of the back 4 although did score on occasions in Serie A.

A reliable player in possession which is what we need given how erratic Sanchez is every 5 minutes in games. 

• Like 2

Just now, Villan4Life said:

good, he's awful!! one half good season a few years back and has been awful since and vastly over-rated by some Villa fans!!

I dont disagree. I just remember in summer that our previous manager was harshly criticized for killing his confidence by trying to sign a replacement

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

good, he's awful!! one half good season a few years back and has been awful since and vastly over-rated by some Villa fans on here!

I'm no great defender of Guzan - to put it mildly! - but he was good for more than half a season.

It is, however, time he was moved on. He just isn't good enough to start in this division any more after a prolonged decline, and his flaws aren't going to be corrected now he's in his mid-30's. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm no great defender of Guzan - to put it mildly! - but he was good for more than half a season.

It is, however, time he was moved on. He just isn't good enough to start in this division any more after a prolonged decline, and his flaws aren't going to be corrected now he's in his mid-30's. 

he's 30 or 31rather than mid 30's isn't he fella? nether the less totally agree with you!!

Edited by Villan4Life

36 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

The whole Guzan argument again. Personally I don't see him as a major part of our issues. Unless someone has stats that indicates his saves to shot ratio is far worse than I imagine then I'd guess he's quite solidly a midtable goalkeeper playing for a very bad team.

I'm all for upgrades across the squad but I'd say that the obvious targets would have a far greater impact on our results  - Sanchez, a LB, Gestede, Gana and even Lescott and Richardson. They're the 'easy' targets - goalkeeper is not a priority for me at all, I'd be looking at at least four or five other positions before a goalkeeper.

Exactly how I see it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Mandanda would be an upgrade on GUzan, but I think other areas of the pitch would have a bigger impact on the team.

I will welcome Mandanda though. A good player.

• Like 1