The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 hours ago, blandy said:

This. I heard something a while back that was along those lines, but it seemed that agreeing the wording between the two countries was really difficult. Something like Greece’s starting point was “Uk stole them and we’ve got them back” and the UK’s was “we saved them from destruction and are happy to loan them out” and various folks on each side had different views within themselves and it went nowhere… is it a generous loan or is it a return of stolen goods…

I think as with a lot of things we're not responsible for the actions of those who came before us so but in this case we're still directly benefiting from something that was wrong, although with hindsight definitely protected them from the instability in that region.

They're one of kind and irreplaceable so I get why the inclination is to hold onto them. They remind a lot of people of a time where Britain massively punched above it's weight and they're rightly proud of some of what we did in the world, but when the people of Greece are this upset about it I think this generation has to look to the future. That future is in cooperation and people not seeing us as some kind of imperial master race our ancestors sought to be but rather a partner that can be trusted to act in good faith.

Giving them up would be a massive act of good will that costs us basically nothing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just imagine the British Museum finally being full of actual British things, things found in Britain or invented in Britain or happened in Britain. Talk about actually living up to it's name finally.

I won't be happy until it's full of things vaguely similar to a Brit.

Edited by Davkaus

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just imagine the British Museum finally being full of actual British things, things found in Britain or invented in Britain or happened in Britain. Talk about actually living up to it's name finally.

I must admit, some of my favourite museums are hyper-local. There's a cracking little one in the Loire Valley (Airvault, iirc). During WWII, the locals stashed away all their antiques and anything of local sentimental value in various cellars and barns, and then after the war set up a little folklife museum, with recreations of village shops, the primary schoolroom, etc. Utterly charming, and genuinely interesting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I must admit, some of my favourite museums are hyper-local. There's a cracking little one in the Loire Valley (Airvault, iirc). During WWII, the locals stashed away all their antiques and anything of local sentimental value in various cellars and barns, and then after the war set up a little folklife museum, with recreations of village shops, the primary schoolroom, etc. Utterly charming, and genuinely interesting. 

Yep been there, it’s lovely.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just imagine the British Museum finally being full of actual British things, things found in Britain or invented in Britain or happened in Britain. Talk about actually living up to its name finally.

brexit-approved-stamp-scratched-red-stam

• Haha 1

Yougov email fun

How well or badly do you think that the government is doing at stopping the small boats? 🤔

Very badly
Here's what other Chat members think…
  • Very well

0%
  • Quite well

3%
  • Quite badly

15%
  • Very badly

80%

95% of people think the governments handling of the small boats is either quite bad or very bad. 

According to a recent YouGov survey, 13% of UK adults think Rishi Sunak represents change, while 69% think he represents more of the same. 18% said they don’t know.

Given just how appalling those that came before him performed, 13% thinking he represents change is absolutely shocking.

(That it's Lee Anderson aside)

(and perhaps this should go in the piss you off thread)

But what's the expectation here? That any question, regarding any very specific subset of data for a specific time frame they need to have to hand?

I work with a tool that has a tonne of reporting capability, and if someone asked me off the cuff for any non standard reporting metric I'd need to get back to them.

And this system is almost likely way less complicated and contains far less data than the HO.

Luddite arsehole.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

(That it's Lee Anderson aside)

(and perhaps this should go in the piss you off thread)

But what's the expectation here? That any question, regarding any very specific subset of data for a specific time frame they need to have to hand?

I work with a tool that has a tonne of reporting capability, and if someone asked me off the cuff for any non standard reporting metric I'd need to get back to them.

And this system is almost likely way less complicated and contains far less data than the HO.

Luddite arsehole.

It’s so funny that he changes it from 3 years to last week, to 1 month like it makes a difference. It’s the very specific pool of people that is the issue, not the time frame.

Lee, how many Pizzas have you had that had exactly 16 pieces of pepperoni on it in the last 3 years?

What, you don’t have a number for that… that’s staggering .

How about the last 1 year then? 

What, you don’t have any figures at all?

The clowns running this country are out of control.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Sunak ripped to pieces in PMQ's today. The incompetent bastard is just a lame duck now isn't he.

I almost feel sorry for Rishi Sunak here as he’s obviously crying inside.

It’s absolutely pathetic that he’s the leader.

I’d love to know what Cleverly was ranting about when the piss was being taken out of him.

I bet in some ways Starmer is dreading getting into power. It would signal the end of a really  enjoyable couple of years being opposition to such a pathetic bunch of charlatans. He barely needs to do anything to highlight how useless they are.

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s so funny that he changes it from 3 years to last week, to 1 month like it makes a difference. It’s the very specific pool of people that is the issue, not the time frame.

Lee, how many Pizzas have you had that had exactly 16 pieces of pepperoni on it in the last 3 years?

What, you don’t have a number for that… that’s staggering .

How about the last 1 year then? 

What, you don’t have any figures at all?

The clowns running this country are out of control.

You forgot that the pizza had to be delivered specifically by a rider in a Raleigh Chopper

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Yougov email fun

95% of people think the governments handling of the small boats is either quite bad or very bad. 

It's funny it looks like a consensus when half of them think he should be opening more asylum processing offices and the other half are wondering why he's not sent the gunboats in yet

• Like 1

Â