The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, bickster said:

If the next GE goes as I expect (huge shoeing) then I fully expect Truss to become the next Tory leader again

Is Truss becoming the leader again more or less mental than Boris becoming leader again? I can’t decide.

Personally I reckon Hunt would get the gig.

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

He's not very popular with the members. They like throbbier ones than him and they like Representatives for Wellingborough like Johnson.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is Truss becoming the leader again more or less mental than Boris becoming leader again? I can’t decide.

You're assuming he'd still be an MP. The LibDem vote in his seat increased by just under 30% in 2019. Hunt only has an 8K majority now

From what I hear from ‘dyed in the wool’ Tory voters apparently Truss was ‘stitched up’ with the way her time as PM played out. Supposedly ‘people are now realising she was in fact right all along’. 

I am thinking it might be a while before the Tories capture the common ground again…

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

From what I hear from ‘dyed in the wool’ Tory voters apparently Truss was ‘stitched up’ with the way her time as PM played out. Supposedly ‘people are now realising she was in fact right all along’. 

I am thinking it might be a while before the Tories capture the common ground again…

The party is dying, we're listening to the death rattle

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

In the most recent Federal Election in Australia the biggest story was not the success of the Labour Party winning back seats to win the election but the loss of wealthy urban Tory seats to independent candidates who combined Tory fiscal policies with environmental policies, calling themselves ‘teal’ (i.e. blue/green) candidates.

The Australian Tories got smashed and shrank back to only representing the rural ‘throbber’ style constituencies with dog whistle culture wars and no actual substance.

There might be a similar story in play in the U.K.?

Was about to post this indeed. Was expecting the election to be centred around inflation and cost-of-living issues and was pleasantly surprised by how environmentalism became the central story as the election panned out.

There's an electoral realignment going on.

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

My outsider's view is that Boris is a smart dude but utterly amoral, Truss on the other hand is genuinely probably the dumbest head of government I have ever seen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yes that is also true and I’m not sure why he was unpopular but I think it was mostly that people had not really thought about him much until he was front and centre as PM. I don’t think he was a liability in the run up to the election, more that he was just a bit beige and uninteresting. 

The previous Labour leader (Shorton) was from the Union wing and more left of centre than Albanese (though not as controversial a character as Corbyn). He had lost Labour an election they were strongly expected to win leading to Albanese getting a go the next time up. 

Shorten was always unlikable for some reason, Albo on the other hand was just a bit boring.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What did our Australian contributors think of Julia Gillard, out of interest?

I thought she was brilliant.

I'm not actually Aussie, I did spend a few years living there though :P

Gillard not someone I know a huge amount about as I wasn't living there when she was PM. That said she's most well-known for her little rant about misogyny during House Question Time while she was in the office, the video of which went viral.

I quite like Rudd, out of recent Aussie PMs he would probably be the one I would pick to have a casual chat with.

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

"Even a Sheila was better than that bloody bludger Kevin Rudd"

(My missus' Uncle in the Blue Mountains)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

She was very skilled at playing the hand she was dealt. Got a lot of good things done, even from a position of being in a minority government. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

We all know 30p Lee is a bit dim, but mixing with and promoting a known racist, homophobic, sexist, ableist "comedian" is a low, even for a Tory.

Did nobody at HQ check this beforehand?

32 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's a good job that you can't set up charity subscriptions using just a sort code and account number.

Presumably that's fraud. It can't be a criminal offence to donate a penny accompanied by feedback on their policy ideas, surely.

Â